KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since several OEM's are now recommending a 10w 30 motorcylce oil Amsoil will be bringing theirs to the market on August 1st. This oil will have all the same performance inhancements as their 10w 40's and 20w 50's have. Benefits like cooler running engine temperatures in both air cooled as well as liquid cooled engines, superior wear control, foaming control. viscosity stability for transmissions, wet clutch compatibility, reduced oil consumption. and excellent storage protection.
george
ADG

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
hot topic,always

I need to be schooled on a regular basis, so help me out here since I don't work in a dealer service dept. OEMs are recommending the 10W30? for car/light truck engines,or are we talking about cycle/ATV? What about the previously recommended weight for the specific motors? Is it still gona be "OK" in a cooler climate,like northern New England,upper mid-west US,Canadia,Alaska,etc.?I'm still of the mindset that says 10W40 in winter,and go to 20W50 in summer....Amsoil,of course.I run a diesel also,what about those applications,are they unchanged? I was advised to run 5W30 in my Cummins product,which I thought to be abit thin for ANY temp.in a diesel.I thought 15W40 was the ONLY way to go for a diesel.Help us out here.Oil couldn't be as "complicated" as a lot of folks make it, but there is a lot riding on the correct choices made with engine lubricants,obviously...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to be schooled on a regular basis, so help me out here since I don't work in a dealer service dept. OEMs are recommending the 10W30? for car/light truck engines,or are we talking about cycle/ATV? What about the previously recommended weight for the specific motors? Is it still gona be "OK" in a cooler climate,like northern New England,upper mid-west US,Canadia,Alaska,etc.?I'm still of the mindset that says 10W40 in winter,and go to 20W50 in summer....Amsoil,of course.I run a diesel also,what about those applications,are they unchanged? I was advised to run 5W30 in my Cummins product,which I thought to be abit thin for ANY temp.in a diesel.I thought 15W40 was the ONLY way to go for a diesel.Help us out here.Oil couldn't be as "complicated" as a lot of folks make it, but there is a lot riding on the correct choices made with engine lubricants,obviously...
Actually, oils are becoming more complex all the time. The 5W-30 for your Diesel is a Great Choice, it is AMSOIL Product Code HDD.

As far as the MotorCycles. It is getting even more difficult than ever... No DO NOT run an automotive oil unless it carries the JASO MA or MA 2 Rating. 10W-30 M/C oils have been developed and do not use Friction Modifiers. AMSOIL Product Code MCT is a fine example of an M/C Specific 10W-30.

Many new bikes are calling for the 10W-30 oils as it will give a little better fuel mileage and a gain in HP as well.

If an OEM calls for 10W-30 or 10W-40 there is no need to go to a Higher Viscosity oil in the summer when using AMSOIL as it will hold up to any heat your engine will produce and maintain stability. I have personally had oil temps over 270 Degrees with AMSOIL and never thought twice about it..

Now, in many manuals, it will say something to the effect of "Temps above 95 or sustained Highway Speeds use a XXW-XX oil" . This is a listing for petroleum oils.

Bob Schultz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts