KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
KTM 690 Duke Street Tracker
90 Posts
Seems you might have a pinched or damaged wire or perhaps the plug or pin at the other end of the harness, unplug the sensor connector and use tester with the ignition on to check you have voltage, if it’s 2 wire harness one should be + power, and other wire will be return to module, after checking you have power, switch the multi meter to Continuity, ->| test from wire harness pin to metal on frame or engine, if it makes noise then you have a wire short to earth. Harder test is to locate the wires of same colour at the module, test with continuity on each end of the same wire to make sure there is not an internal break.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems you might have a pinched or damaged wire or perhaps the plug or pin at the other end of the harness, unplug the sensor connector and use tester with the ignition on to check you have voltage, if it’s 2 wire harness one should be + power, and other wire will be return to module, after checking you have power, switch the multi meter to Continuity, ->| test from wire harness pin to metal on frame or engine, if it makes noise then you have a wire short to earth. Harder test is to locate the wires of same colour at the module, test with continuity on each end of the same wire to make sure there is not an internal break.
Hi bro..i test it today at the sensor connector there is 2 wire 1 is yellow n black stripes the other one is full black wire..i test it on yellowblackstripes wire to metal no sound but the black wire to metal got sound with the ignition off also got sound..i try to locate the yellowblackstripe wire at the ecu n try bypass it with other wire it still warning popup.. could it be the black wire..the reading of volt at sensor cap is 5.06v..i try to check on other sensor cap that in good condt. It only show 4.2v..where can find the wiring diagram for rc8r?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks like the black wire will be the earth wire, the radiator should be mounted on rubber isolators and you can check that the faulty sensor has a problem in two ways, buy a new sensor and swap to see if it will fix the problem, or remove the wire plug and use the meter continuity test on one wire terminal at a time, touch the other probe to the body of the sensor to see if the internals of the sensor are touching the body? Which might be a bad situation, another test if you have two sensors is to switch the meter to Ohms, and test the resistance between the two terminals, and compare. That is assuming that both sensors are the same type and function. Usually the cheapest method is to assume the dash warning is correct and just put in a new sensor, a quick change of a cheap part is less costly than hours spent searching for a problem

Workshop manuals here is a link to get a manual download, on this forum, I purchased one for my bike $10. Cheapest there is online. I downloaded to my iPad. And save in the “books” app.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like the black wire will be the earth wire, the radiator should be mounted on rubber isolators and you can check that the faulty sensor has a problem in two ways, buy a new sensor and swap to see if it will fix the problem, or remove the wire plug and use the meter continuity test on one wire terminal at a time, touch the other probe to the body of the sensor to see if the internals of the sensor are touching the body? Which might be a bad situation, another test if you have two sensors is to switch the meter to Ohms, and test the resistance between the two terminals, and compare. That is assuming that both sensors are the same type and function. Usually the cheapest method is to assume the dash warning is correct and just put in a new sensor, a quick change of a cheap part is less costly than hours spent searching for a problem

Workshop manuals here is a link to get a manual download, on this forum, I purchased one for my bike $10. Cheapest there is online. I downloaded to my iPad. And save in the “books” app.
On rc8 there is 2 temperature sensor each on other cyclinder i try to swap it already nothing changer..on radiator there is 1 more radiator switch sensor..both of temperature sensor has been check for resistance n both in good condition..

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not the radiator. Make sure you are looking at the correct cylinder. Cylinder 1 is the rear, the sensor is on the left hand side.

Resistance across sensor terminals should be 2.2 to 2.7kOhm at 20 degrees centigrade.

TuneECU can clear the error codes.

If the error code comes back then the next thing to check is the wiring harness for continuities on that circuit, and also the connectors.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's not the radiator. Make sure you are looking at the correct cylinder. Cylinder 1 is the rear, the sensor is on the left hand side.

Resistance across sensor terminals should be 2.2 to 2.7kOhm at 20 degrees centigrade.

If the error code comes back then the next thing to check is the wiring harness for continuities on that circuit, and also the connectors.
Perfect advice, nice work.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I suspect there is wire short circuit..i take out all the wiring n try to swap with other wiring harness that my friend borrowed me..then everything is ok..so need to check on the wiring..already take out the main wiring harness from the white connect to the front..will check on it n update soon.. thanks for the opinion..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts