KTM Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any KTM dealership mechanics hang out in here?

I am dealing with a shop in purchasing a new ride, and KTM does not seem to be their main brand. Every time I ask a question, I get a response back like "I really don't know, this is the first 1290 SAR we've ever really sold. It just makes me a little nervous. I hear a number of stories from people that say that their bikes just weren't prepped right before they took possession, including computer updates, etc.

So, I thought I would come here and ask. I assume there are dedicated KTM dealership mechanics in this awesome forum, ones that work on nothing but KTM bikes and nothing else. Maybe one can offer some helpful advice on the trickier prep issues that a motorcycle mechanic (not so familiar with KTM because they may be more familiar with prepping other brands) could use. My thought would be to turn that advice into my salesman when the day comes and ask him to make sure that the guy prepping my new bike double-checks on these few concerns before clearing it for takeoff. For example, I hear that a lot may get looked over in setting up the display for updates, MyRide (27 pages of instructions alone?!?) etc. that has caused riders to come back in for another service day to do something that should have been done in prep.

My new ride will hopefully be a 2018 1290 Super Adventure R. Anyone out there that might have any good suggestions for the good of the order?

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
Not a dealership tech

Full disclosure. I’m not a KTM tech. Just an interesting observation from working in the mechanical trades for 5 decades. Automobile and motorcycle dealerships, in my experience will allow almost anyone to perform dealer prep services. I recently spoke with an apprentice welder that just graduated welding school. He related to me that in his short working career after school and such he worked in a large multi brand power sports dealership(KTM included) and part of his duties were new bike assembly and prep. He was rightfully proud of his accomplishments as a tech at a motorcycle dealership and so he should be. Here is a young fellow barely old enough to drive, and he is servicing our new motorcycles. But as a consumer, I find this troubling. I would much rather have my bike prepped by a more experienced technician. The problem with the labor cost of the more experienced tech would be passed to the consumer in the form of higher price. The dealership wants to maximize his profits and the customer wants the lowest price. Both can only hope that the factory assembled our bikes correctly on the assembly line. Because the dealership wants maximum profit. The salesman will agree to anything to make a sale and that damn teenage kid putting the fluids and tires on your bike probably has very little proper training or experience. I’m sure there may be exceptions and apology offered to the good examples, but when those shop doors close we can only hope that we receive proper quality service on our bikes.

Reactions: SA-S and quixand

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I am not sure if you are aware but Mudline Motorsports offers a free tech support line. I was having issues with my 2019 KTM450 SXF throttle response last year and reached out to them, they walked me through what needed to be done and it was extremely helpful. Here is a link to their website!

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
That's great information and a great customer service tool for the dealership. Members here should reward good customer service like this with any business we can offer them. Good service like this deserves loyal patronage. Be sure to shop there and show thanks for their effort to help us out.

·
Registered
19' 1290 SAS
31 Posts
That's great information and a great customer service tool for the dealership. Members here should reward good customer service like this with any business we can offer them. Good service like this deserves loyal patronage. Be sure to shop there and show thanks for their effort to help us out.
That's an A+ post. My 19' 1290 S threw a low oil warning coming back from Rawhyde ant Castaic last year. Used my free AAA Super for a free tow to Thousand Oaks (two hour plus ride) - Open Mondays. Ryan over there got me in checked it out - could not find the error - seems a faulty or stuck sensor. Not a dime in costs and no warranty claim for them either. I offered to pay their time and they declined as I knew without a warranty reimbursement they were not otherwise going to get compensated. They refused any money. They also called me the next day to make sure I got 400 miles home without issue.

Good folks.

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
That's an A+ post. My 19' 1290 S threw a low oil warning coming back from Rawhyde ant Castaic last year. Used my free AAA Super for a free tow to Thousand Oaks (two hour plus ride) - Open Mondays. Ryan over there got me in checked it out - could not find the error - seems a faulty or stuck sensor. Not a dime in costs and no warranty claim for them either. I offered to pay their time and they declined as I knew without a warranty reimbursement they were not otherwise going to get compensated. They refused any money. They also called me the next day to make sure I got 400 miles home without issue.

Good folks.
AWSUM!!!! That is the way to get customers!!

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
But back to #1 post... As I do not have the necessary equipment to work on today's computer-bikes I stay with the ones I can fix. The 2stroke KTM MX bikes, A HD Panhead or Shovel, some older Hondas etc. If I can not fix them I won't buy them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts