KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Smokey mountains are a solid 10 hours away, there's a worthy route in missouri around 6-7 hrs away and the usual wi alphabet roads at 2-1/2 hrs the neighbors are getting to know the sound of my bike and lining up to throw eggs at me if I exceed the limit.
I need to travel to find challenging roads, my k1600 is a great touring bike, but once I reach my destination I always wish I had the 1290. anybody own the 'gt' and 'R' in either order and how big is the power/performance difference? would the s1000xr be sportier than the gt? I'm getting that itch again.

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,475 Posts
I’ll likely be going down this route at some point with the next gen GT. My initial plan was to get a 2019GT but ended up with a great deal on a new 2018 SDR that I’ve added a top case and some other enhancements.

I know a the local hang out one of the guys did trade in his 2017 SDR for 2019 GT and has no regrets. I’ll have to circle back with him to see his perspective after a year of ownership. He did refer to it as his “old mans” bike ;-) to be fair he had the SDR and a factory Aprillia - kept the Aprillia and got the GT.

I don’t need a lot of storage (I have a 32L top case) don’t carry passengers - for now the SDR does everything I need.

The only reason I’m planning for the GT is fuel range (sure the Luggage and wind protection is nice) - I’m currently limited to 300-315km.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My gen 1 lacks cruise control, the lean angle msr and for hwy miles a semi active suspension might be nice. I am worried i'll miss the instant power of the r. also the screens i've found for the sdr don't hold up that well to triple digit speed. I think even money if i was offered the 2020 gt and R for the same price I would probably get the R, but since the gt is not so popular here I could get one for at least $2k less and thats a couple road trips, tires included.

·
Registered
317 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the 2020 GT does not have the significant updates/changes that the SDR received (frame, suspension and engine).

The ‘20 GT would be more comparable to a ‘19 R.
Although it is rumored (with spy shots), that ‘21 GT will receive those changes.
Of course then you will have to factor in pricing even more.
If the GT is already discounted, if/when a ‘21 updated model shows up it will likely drive the Gen 2 pricing down even further and the Gen 3 will probably be going for MSRP.

I’ve never owned an SDR, but did own ‘16 GT and now an ‘18 MT-10 (with quite a few performance mods; including exhaust, flash, suspension, brakes).

I don’t know that gen 2 vs gen 2 the performance difference would make it worth it to give up the wind protection, electronic suspension, and larger fuel tank for the amount of long highway miles you are planning on doing.

I’m sure the ‘19 SDR is a bit easier to flick around and accelerates a bit faster (because it weighs a bit less), but don’t think that it would be dramatically different; and other than that I would venture to say they handle and perform fairly similarly (if comparing on the same tires).

From the sounds of it though, the ‘20 SDR (Gen 3) handles significantly better when being pushed very hard, and the power comes on stronger.
My MT-10 handles better than my SDGT when being pushed (basically an R1 chassis) and I’m guessing the Gen 3 Super Duke chassis/suspension makes it a much closer comparison.
That’s not to take anything away from the Gen 2 SD as it is still a very good handling bike, and very capable for serious/spirited riding on twisty roads.

So if you did want to decide between a 20 vs 20, and not wait for a ‘21 GT, that might make the decision tougher, since there is a wider gap in the characteristic differences of the bikes, as the GT is a Gen 2 and the R is a Gen 3.

·
Registered
317 Posts
S1000XR sounds like a great bike also.

Here is a video of one and an SDR. In front to start then following the SD about halfway through.
And do some side by side pulls at the end.
He is on the previous Gen, new ones have the digital dash.

They seem pretty evenly matched.
BMW probably a bit more refined, KTM more raw and grunty.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I owned an XR, now a 19 GT. It is all about the power delivery.....

R vs GT....by the sounds of it, you would enjoy the GT better, as it is better on a trip...and you can still corner carve...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I survived another day. a local dealer acts like every thing they sell is made of gold and all our trades are trash. I have a gtl and for the amount my wife rides with me I should probably sell it and get the xr and keep my sdr for day rides.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Money is always part of my process. In a perfect world I could add the features of the gt I like to my existing bike. In a more perfect world I would live in the Smokey mountains. Thanks for the link, I think I came across it once before and forgot about it although it left an impressio. There’s a local 2019 Xr nearby discounted and still uses keys and An old fashioned displa, bit tall for me

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
G;day steve59

:D...... I've been surfing some reviews, from Cycle World to MCN and others....... writers I am familiar with are saying the gen3 SDR is a total work over - get on to Dr Google and study the detail - there's a lot in it! .........

I'm hanging out for the gen 3 SDGT as I need the big tank and screen for my wide open spaces over here....... but that 20 SDR has had so many tweaks and changes even I'm trying to convince myself I can live without the GT's formula.

You'd be nuts to buy a gen 2R/GT at this late stage with the new models so close. Think of all the upgraded electronics you'd miss out on. It's a different story for a newbie to KTM, but you are coming from an 18R (?) so you will appreciate the latest chassis and all the other changes.....

The MCN guys predicted a 2020 model release for the gen 3 GT (pre covid shutdowns) with stock anticipated on dealer floors 1st qtr 2021...... I read that KTM is a bit behind, but they have hired more staff and are working extra factory shifts so MCN could still be right!

The huge number of highly technical changes (raised engine, new cyl heads, raised swingarm pivot, shock linkage, lighter engine cases, new software, new suspension, new frame, new wheels, new airbox, new injectors above the intake trumpets (like a super bike)..... it goes on and on...... see the video's(y).......

I think I'd be disappointed if I shelled out now for a discount bargain gen 2 with the all new gen 3 model so close. It has had so much done to enhance handling and road feel, engine and electronics, and :D:D factor....... probably well worth the price premium and still heaps cheaper than a Ducati V4.

The gen 3 SDR gets a softer wider seat so that's enough on it's own to buy one! :ROFLMAO:....... no doubt the GT version will also get the softer foam in it's seat.......

I think you had better stay away from dealerships unless you want to take the leap to the 20R now. The 21GT will be the same basic bike with a bigger fuel tank, screen and luggage system ..... though we must wait to hear if the new version's dynamic suspension system is even better....... certainly the 20SDR is way better than previous models, so I expect the 21GT will be a similar step up.

PS I'm seeing reports from other manufacturer's - Triumph has a new 1160cc Street tripple nearing production, so there may be quite a selection of enticing new models to choose from in 2021....... aren't we the lucky one's ;).

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be back to work in another week or so. I just need another road trip, get back to the grind and winter will be here in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
:LOL:...... nothing like the daily grind, and bills to pay, to take the mind off buying a new bike....... and 2021 is not far away!
:eek:........ this 'Annus Horribilus' :)ROFLMAO: as the Queen of England once labelled another really bad year a long time ago) sure has gone by fast...... thankfully....... or is it just me?......:unsure:.

The more I read about the 20R and coming 21GT, the more I want....... but I'll settle down once I get back on my 17GT.

(y)

My favorite upgrade is this, with the adjustable high speed & low speed damping and tool less spring preload..... but there are so many more changes it does my head in reading all the details......

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
drooling again. I feather the throttle on my 16 already so i'm not craving more engine, but that new suspension has potential and the new electronics leave my bike in the dust.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yeah, I know the feeling....... have a read of the Cycle World Review and watch the MCN super naked video comparo....... also the CW interview with the KTM project engineer for the 1290...... I forget his name..... but it is amazing how they made so much improvement over an already great bike....... 5mm on the swingarm mount, 35mm on the engine, stiffer frame & swing arm, same length shockie but with a linkage that increases the stroke and soaks up sharp bumps, new forks, softer wider seat, sub frame, 6 axis IMU, top spec Brumby calipers, lighter wheels, bigger airbox, overhead fan spray injectors, new lectronics, CC, heated grips, adjustable footpegs.........

Damned lucky I'm not allowed to ride yet or I will have talked myself into visiting my KTM dealership today for a deal......... but, it is interesting how so many small changes have added up to a better, nicer feeling, but kept the SDR DNA........ I just need a 20ltr tank minimum and a screen....... and even though dynamic suspension might not be as personally adjustable as the new R system, it is pretty handy while on a ride to swap from sporty to comfortable without stopping.........

Stay away from the shops!...... or it'll cost you big dollars....... and time is on your side...... let the early buyers do some miles and shake out any issues (I'm sure there won't be any as the 1290 has been around for such a long time now).

(y)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Stevie boy, i had a 2014 SD-R, traded it in 2016 for a SD-GT, and did some amazing rides with mates on V4Ts, 1290Rs, BMW1000Rs/XTs etc. and the GT had no problem keeping up or leading. But for me i missed a bike i could take to the track, so i brought a 790, and replaced the suspension on it, and wow what a sensational little bike. Then i had this niggling feeling i had too many bikes, Either keep the Multi or keep the GT, but not both. Wife liked the Multi, better for her on the back. And this niggling feeling of i was never totally confident pushing the GT hard on its electronic suspension. The suspension is good, good for touring and fast touring, but not sports bike speeds, and thats what really made my mind up, so i test road the 2020 SD-R, loved it so much (its insanely fast), and rode home on it, trading in the GT and the much loved 790. So SDR to a GT to a SDrrrrrrrrrrrrrr again.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rrrrr,plenty to ponder, but your experience on the 2020 is how I felt after my 2015 demo. I had an R3 and s3 in the garage and man, the bike was so docile in the parking lot but the light turns green and I use the same throttle inputs I used on the s3 but now i'm riding a wheelie thru a 5 lane intersection, ripping thru the gears I look down when the corner of my eye catches a blinking orange light on the dash and i'm going 92 mph in 3rd gear, this whole event took only a few seconds, maybe 5 idk. I rode the bike back and spent 4 months negotiating, but I got it. I'll likely find a leftover and if I can get a demo on the gt and it feels like the R with comforts i'll co that way. 2020, 2021 yikes.

·
Registered
2016 SDGT. 7,845 miles at purchase May 11, 2020
2 Posts
The Smokey mountains are a solid 10 hours away, there's a worthy route in missouri around 6-7 hrs away and the usual wi alphabet roads at 2-1/2 hrs the neighbors are getting to know the sound of my bike and lining up to throw eggs at me if I exceed the limit.
I need to travel to find challenging roads, my k1600 is a great touring bike, but once I reach my destination I always wish I had the 1290. anybody own the 'gt' and 'R' in either order and how big is the power/performance difference? would the s1000xr be sportier than the gt? I'm getting that itch again.
Comparing KTM SDGT and BMW: I have ridden "many a mile" on shaft driven, horizontally opposed twins with less than 100 hp. On my R75/5, getting to 80 mph makes that 58 hp motor work... and then there is valve recession to manage. I drive EVERYWHERE on that bike at 60 mph; straights, snakey corners, in town... Avon Roadrunner tires. Drum brakes mean I have to drive within my limits of ability to stop. Shaft drive: no chatter in the drive train. Flat twin: predictable, smooth power in low rpm. Cruise all day at what ever speed you want. Drum brakes: easy to change direction in a curve, not much tire wear.

I have driven a 2003 K1200RS 70,000 miles. I would get another. An effortless sport touring bike.

The S1000XR is OK. I like the ergos, and maybe the 2020 model is better, but stick with your SDR.

I have ridden the K1600 several demo rides. The exhaust note is melodious. The power is supple, and equal to or better than any hot cage. Handling is intuitive. The panniers are water tight, and secure. One hundred miles before breakfast is easy, just an hour away.

I have never owned an SDR so can't compare and contrast with SDGT. I travel to those places you mention, and the R doesn't have a center stand either.

All that is a pre-amble to my impressions of my 2016 KTM SDGT acquired during the height of lock-down. It has a 100 hp more than anything I was used to. The rate of acceleration available maintains my attention. An aftermarket exhaust with de-cat and dongles (applied by previous owner (PO)) provides an authoritative note akin to a 90 degree tandem twin. I find the handle bars too wide. On the '16, the buttons for electronic cruise control are on the right. I use my left hand to activate and set, then can use my right thumb to adjust. It is too loud! I used to be able to arrive home and my wife would not know I had been out. That is over. Chain drive: oops! That doesn't feel right! Some folks say they never clean the chain. I do. Then there is the chain stuff on the wheels to clean. There are nods to the concept of fenders. When the pavement is wet, my back gets wet. Maybe putting the bags on will cause water lifted by the rear wheel to not circulate up and back onto me. The rider's seat and pillion are both PowerParts heated seats. The seat is firm, but actually very comfortable with plenty of room to sit in various places. The wind screen is stock, and manually adjustable. Others have discussed buffeting and wind noise. I have found a comfortable setting where the air pressure is off my chest, and there is no wind screen induced noise or buffeting. I have not driven this bike in a storm yet. My shaft driven bikes have provided very adequate wind and wx protection. This bike was been otherwise well sorted, and I am grateful for the thoughtful additions the PO made. kevxtx on another forum has a fine compendium of sorted mods provided as a pdf. Qv.

PO used this bike for only one long tour up the east coast to Nova Scotia. I don't think he and his wife were bun burners, but are quite athletic. He said she was comfortable on her perch. The pannier will hold a Shoei full face helmet, but not my Schuberth. The nose of each pannier does not close. I have not used the panniers for a long tour and the panniers have not gotten wet, but packing in a waterproof inner liner seems reasonable. My other thought is to use wide black electrical tape to seal each bag once packed. I haven't thought of any other way to seal them.

I am still getting used to the power and handling. That is just me. The only times I put the bike down, each was slow speed. The first time, my wife bumped into me at a stop light. Embarrassing, and only scuffing on the right mask edge and cracked clear coat on the decals. The second was after replacing the front brake lever, and having the front brake lock up. Again, slow speed, but over I went. Easy to pick up.
FWIW, YMMV
Fahrenkopf

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm thinking the gt might be the way to go

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went for one of the racks for my luggage, they are made a mile down the road from where i brought the 2020. I had the panniers on my GT but often took my Venture bag as my mates called my GT a tourer.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get credit for the orange color tie downs tho. the gen 1 looks great, was it a 2015 leftover that got the free promo akra slip on? How does it feel going back and forth from the gen1 and gen 3?, legroom, seat height, handlebar position? The seating position is what I love about the gen 1, the lack of feel up front not as much. As looks go...that's a great pic and i'll take 2 of each.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts