KTM Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Back in 2014 both me and a mate brought a 2014 SD each, mine was black his orange. He fitted the sticker kit, we both got locally made link pipes, and brought the Akra pipes through KTM and got the Akra map loaded. After 20,000kms i switched to the 1290GT, then 3 weeks back brought the new 1290R. I wasn't in the market for a new bike, i travelled up with my mate on his 1290 to get his big 48km service, i rode along for company and a night out on the town. Friday morning dropped of the 1290, he grabbed a Yam T750 to ride and i was looking at the new demo 1290R, and thinking WOW. They said take it out for a ride, i said, NO ill want it jokingly. Well i said we are going to Raglan (250km round trip) no worries, go for it. We switch rides, riding up and over this nice curvy hill, The suspension was set too hard, the tires were way over inflated, but we could tell this was one hell of a bike. I adjusted out some compression, and much better. On return he said they give xxxxx$ for trade on the GT, i said i can't afford that, (i could but wife), how much for both my 790 and GT. xxxxx$ plus a few more $s. Ok deal done, ordered and they picked up and fitted the pack rack, and off i went home to explain to the wife. Ride position is more sporty, pegs a little higher over the 2014 SD but the new 1290R is so much faster, and needs that ride position to get the best out of this machine. At 160kph there is very little wind blast, the lower bars help duck under the air flow. Seat is more comfortable, biggest surprise is when you tip it into a corner at speed, the front end feel is amazing, exiting the corner hard on the gas its just planted, no squatting and understeer. The 2 biggest bug bears on the Gen 2, and thats why i went for a 790 for a track day bike over the Gen 2 1290R. Well when home i told the wife id saved us money, 2 bikes in one, a fast tourer and a track day weapon in one. Yeah she said, but what about all the extra's you will want for it.:mad: She's seen the light, and I'm off the hook.:):)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You have a good dealer. I tried a 2 for 1 and they added their margin to each bike adding anther $2k to the total cost. They want $2k coming and going each bike

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interesting read so far. A few years ago I was looking at the SDR and SDGT. What did I end up buying? The S1000XR. I bought even though I already had (and still do), a K1600GT with complete header (cat removed) and Akra mufflers. I also upgraded the suspension on and tweaked the usual things like windscreen, seats, etc. It is an amazing bike and sucks down highways miles like a Goldwing but can really hustle on the back roads.

I was considering the SD and SDGT as I wanted something a bit sharper handling and wasn't going to spend as much time on a highway riding to someplace "fun" to ride. Long story short it is a bike definitely worth your consideration. While it isn't it maybe doesn't have quite the grunt of the SDR down low, it is very strong but you can idle down to 1k RPM in 6th gear and roll on the throttle and it will pull all the way up with no bucking or snatching. If that motor is running, it is making good power. If you are on the taller side, plenty of room to stretch out. The BMW bags work well and the electronic suspension is pretty good. If you go with the BMW (Garmin) GPS, it integrates like the K1600 but better. Definitely a bike that is easy to go fast on.

While I love my KTM, I clearly think BMW does a better job on fit and finish, and refinement. From a performance perspective the S1000XR is probably faster than the S1000RR up to about 100MPH. I pretty much never ride my RR on the street anymore as the XR is one heck of a sleeper. A nice plus is the insurance is dirt cheap. Unlike anything with Duke in the name.

If KTM does get around to basing the next Gen GT on the current Gen SDR, in the very near future, I'd definitely take a serious look at it. If I do, won't bother with trading anything in anytime soon. I pursued that on a couple of bikes I was looking at the dealers were so low on their offers it was insulting. I was negotiating to buy the new 2020 SDR and they wanted to give me half price of what my bike's MSRP was just a year ago (before most dealers add on their crazy fees). I ended up retailing, and the first guy who looked at it offered 50% more than the dealer did. So in round figures, bike was 15k new (retail), stealer offered me 7500 (and still wanted to tack on a ton of crappy fees on the SDR). I was looking at some crazy trade difference of like 14k. Put it up for sale on a forum for 12k and sold it for 11.5k. Let's just say I didn't go back to that dealer.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts