KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I picked up my ZX-14 and my ZZR 1200 a few times, but never had the occasion to need to pick up the SDGT. I think I could handle it since it's 80 lbs lighter than the 14 and more than a hundred lighter than the 12. Hopefully, I never have to find out.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I picked up my ZX-14 and my ZZR 1200 a few times, but never had the occasion to need to pick up the SDGT. I think I could handle it since it's 80 lbs lighter than the 14 and more than a hundred lighter than the 12. Hopefully, I never have to find out. PS, I'll be 72 next March

·
Registered
772 Posts
I’m a pretty small guy and I managed to pick it up. She’s an obese Alice, for something that is meant to be a nimble beast, at least compared to my ZX-10R for sure! I think she just has dense bones! :sneaky: I nearly busted a blood vessel in my forehead, but I managed. I used the backwards approach and lifted with legs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried the back into it method and had no luck. Don’t have the technique or too weak or both. Called my neighbor and he came over and helped.
I was hoping I’d be able to pick it up but oh well. I’m 72 and getting weaker.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Back facing the bike bent knees one hand on the rear grab handles and other handlebar. If it’s on its right side I put the kickstand down b4 lifting. I bought my sas new in February and it looks 5 years old alread.

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
779 Posts
I picked up my ‘16 SDGT one day last fall, but I had to take off my riding jacket first. I dropped it in the middle of an intersection, so adrenalin was pumping. I picked it up alone, using the handlebar. I know, this is NOT the recommended method, but that’s what I did. It has SW-Motech engine guards, so it was not fully down on its side. I’m 70, and in fair shape, but I’d REALLY hate to try to replicate that lift.

·
The Sanitized Comic
1,426 Posts
First year of ownership of the GT I was standing beside bike and backing out of garage with hands on grips. Heel caught something and fell backward on my azz with the bike landing right on top of me, pinning my legs down. Nobody on the street could see this as the font bumper on my Tundra bumped my head.

"What would McGyver do?" Pain shooting thru both shins I screamed in the general direction of the neighbour across the street. He finally heard me ... the longest 5 minutes ever.
Lesson here is SIT on bike when backing .... trying to weasel around the truck in a tight spot was not smart.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Lol I’m curious how this played out
me on the sas and a riding buddy on his gsa trail riding, while attempting to stay on the amateur trails they weren’t marked and we went down, usually softly into brush but sometimes less luck. Good times

1 - 20 of 42 Posts