KTM Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
779 Posts
I'm surprised a Wing is easier... it's gotta be close to twice the mass?

But I can relate. I'll be 71 this year, and with a fake hip, I'm a geezer. But when I dropped my GT in an intersection, I felt I had no choice after both a car and a truck went on by without stopping. I still don't know how I did it. Adrenalin is the only answer I've come up with. I wouldn't bet I could do it again.

·
Registered
79 Posts

But I can relate. I'll be 71 this year, and with a fake hip, I'm a geezer. But when I dropped my GT in an intersection, I felt I had no choice after both a car and a truck went on by without stopping. I still don't know how I did it. Adrenalin is the only answer I've come up with. I wouldn't bet I could do it again.
COG is MUCH lower on both the Goldwing and the GS.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Reminds me of dropping my rather new Harley. Quite a few years ago , grabbed too much front brake and front wheel tucked. I jumped up grabbed the handlebars and stood it right up. Maybe 6 months later I dropped in my garage and couldn’t lift it. That’s what adrenaline can do for ya.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My goodness,
I’ve just turned 60 (and retired 😎) but I’m feeling a young whippersnapper with the apparent 70 yo ownership cohort. Good on you lads staying in the saddle.
I’m thinking KTM is missing the mark with their SDGT ad campaigns? Mature-aged gentlemen of the biking world, take a bow. I’ve just completed a 5300km trip up north in Australia but am enthusiastic to know I should have at least 10 more years of cruising and playing up.
Cheers to all,
GobiOne

·
Registered
1 Posts

Four times on Tuesday (8/2) I'm nearly 66 yo... would rather not have done any of them, but can do what it takes when needed. I'm hobbling a bit though... will be a few more days before my lower back recovers.

I have tried the "back to the bike" technique several times, and it's never worked for me. Most of my effort goes into the low side hand grip, sometimes also rear grab handle. Sometimes I rest it on a knee when I can't get it all the way up in one lift.

Am looking into this after a recommendation from another rider: MOTOBIKEJACK

·
Registered
512 Posts
I’ve picked up a 96’ zx11 on the parkway by myself! It’s a amazing how oncoming cars can hasten your ability to pickup your bike and move on!😜

Reactions: Chasdog

·
Registered
81 Posts
I crashed a few weeks ago on a gravel road that turned into a sandy road. I was a few miles into national forest and had just filled the tank. I just couldn't get it back up, even with SW Motech crash bars for leverage. Just as I was about to hike back to civilization a pickup truck showed up driven by a guy in a Harley t-shirt. He helped get it back upright and followed me back to pavement. I escaped with a scuffed up fairing and no other damage. The whole butt on the seat and lift routine did nothing for me. I've put together the kit from this video which uses climbing gear to provide lifting leverage. Hope I never report back on how it worked.

·
Registered
05 Duc 999R, 21 KTM Adventure R, 2020 Super Duke GT
188 Posts
been there many times! This is why I went to the 890R adventure. Easier to manage off road, 160lbs lighter, and much easier to lift!
View attachment 109394

Four times on Tuesday (8/2) I'm nearly 66 yo... would rather not have done any of them, but can do what it takes when needed. I'm hobbling a bit though... will be a few more days before my lower back recovers.

I have tried the "back to the bike" technique several times, and it's never worked for me. Most of my effort goes into the low side hand grip, sometimes also rear grab handle. Sometimes I rest it on a knee when I can't get it all the way up in one lift.

Am looking into this after a recommendation from another rider: MOTOBIKEJACK

·
Registered
915 Posts
I crashed a few weeks ago on a gravel road that turned into a sandy road. I was a few miles into national forest and had just filled the tank. I just couldn't get it back up, even with SW Motech crash bars for leverage. Just as I was about to hike back to civilization a pickup truck showed up driven by a guy in a Harley t-shirt. He helped get it back upright and followed me back to pavement. I escaped with a scuffed up fairing and no other damage. The whole butt on the seat and lift routine did nothing for me. I've put together the kit from this video which uses climbing gear to provide lifting leverage. Hope I never report back on how it worked.
What a great idea! I love it. Thanks for sharing that. I think I'll put one of those together and keep it under the seat. Thanks for the tip again Sierra!

·
The Sanitized Comic
1,426 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Last time I fell in my driveway in a stupid move and could not lift I had to use a strap to get the bike up.
Once I got it back up when I fell in sand pit up a powerline { a Superduke has no business on a powerline]

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
See post #27, ride an adventure bike on trails and or gravel and get lots of practice, sigh. Sometimes the tires keep sliding on the surface and it’s exhausting pushing the bike. Now when we go on trails I take tie downs to anchor to a tree, but a hand on the handlebar and other on passenger grab rail, subframe, (or gen3 sdr passenger foot peg) and lift. usually the bikes already in gear so it doesn’t roll much, but I think 70 yo should wait for the cavalry for anything heavier than a cuppa.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts