KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These seem fairly non intrusive when no side bags on the bike. Considering this system with the small orbit side cases.

Any feedback will be appreciated!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got 'em, like 'em, can't fault 'em. I leave one on the bike permanently for commuting. The system is not as discreet as the other one (I forget the name, but it's got the one, straight, removeable arm, SW Motech, maybe?). When I was shopping that one wasn't available. I've had this one 25,000 miles or so and it works well. Mountings are ridgid, sturdy. I've got the soft bags (the rectangular ones), and they hold a decent amount. They're not waterproof unless you use the nylon bags too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What they don't tell you is these aren't completely compatible with gen 2's, and they require shorter than oem turn signals. I had to grind down the end of the support tube bolts to the upper tail mount, the plastic on the gen2 uses a smaller diameter mounting hole. Also, they don't seem to have the best jigs, I had a give them quite a bend to get them to fit. I spent too many years undoing Velcro straps on other kinds, I prefer to just unlock and grab the bag off the mount and once mounted they are just what I wanted. Good stable platform for a dry bag strapped on the top for week long trips.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What they don't tell you is these aren't completely compatible with gen 2's, and they require shorter than oem turn signals. I had to grind down the end of the support tube bolts to the upper tail mount, the plastic on the gen2 uses a smaller diameter mounting hole. Also, they don't seem to have the best jigs, I had a give them quite a bend to get them to fit. I spent too many years undoing Velcro straps on other kinds, I prefer to just unlock and grab the bag off the mount and once mounted they are just what I wanted. Good stable platform for a dry bag strapped on the top for week long trips.
Thank you for your note.

When you say gen2 you mean the 2017-19 SDR?

I have a gen2 (2018) this is very relevant feedback.

I’m not fussed about the signal lights as I have a NRC fender eliminator kit that will augment with new OEM Bmw signals when they arrive.

I’m curious when you say you had to grind down - the outer diameter ?? of this part of the mount? Please confirm or clarify. Thank you.

48511E27-2E4C-4B34-ADCB-D6A94ABCC24B.jpeg

8952C158-0943-4F0C-A8BA-4B06043C8F8E.jpeg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep, that is the spot. Their tubing is larger than the 2017+ model hole for side panel bolt. A few minutes at the grinder followed by a spot of paint and all good. Putting it together on the bike required some massaging and all bolts loose. When I took it off I did so as a whole unit and it's natural state was much narrower at the footpeg mounts, so more massaging to bend things slightly and it's fine now. Small issues and I've no idea if my experience is unique as they don't allow comments on their product site, which is a bit disappointing, but overall I got what I wanted vs the more popular SW Motech setup. Extremely stable system which when paired with rok straps over dry bag means not a thing moving around even on the most exciting stretches of mountain roads.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, that is the spot. Their tubing is larger than the 2017+ model hole for side panel bolt. A few minutes at the grinder followed by a spot of paint and all good. Putting it together on the bike required some massaging and all bolts loose. When I took it off I did so as a whole unit and it's natural state was much narrower at the footpeg mounts, so more massaging to bend things slightly and it's fine now. Small issues and I've no idea if my experience is unique as they don't allow comments on their product site, which is a bit disappointing, but overall I got what I wanted vs the more popular SW Motech setup. Extremely stable system which when paired with rok straps over dry bag means not a thing moving around even on the most exciting stretches of mountain roads.
Awesome! Thanks for clarifying...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts