KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, bought my GT new in late Jan 2017....... Aus buyers had to endure 12 months of nil stock after the first shipment in 2016 was sold out before the boat was unloaded....... so we were primed and ready to pounce and luckily the 17 model had some nice updates (LED rear indicators, revalved WP forks).

I've added some stuff.... Tinted screen, RAD guard, Fender extensions, Handguards, Top case, 40t sprox and slim fitting Ibex crash bars.

I put 11,300kms (7k miles) on it in 10 months before being sidelined by a health issue....:frown2:.

So 2018 has been a disaster (for me) but now I'm ready to rock & roll again on my weapon tourer >:)...:grin2:

Only problem - it is now full summer here in Brisbane Australia...... and the roads are infested with holiday traffic and speed camera's.... :laugh2:.

Here's a pic I took early on before I got most of the bling installed.........I love this bike..... it goes hard :clap:

https://www.ktmforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=84966&stc=1&d=1545196372

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Weeksy,

I'll be super duke happy if I can return to riding (should be ok as I'm back driving with no issues... so far.. :wink2:).

Season's Greetings to all.

Registered
Dave - I assume you are Aussie Dave on KTM Super Twins, starter of thread "Well That Was a Surprise..." ?

I read that whole thing recently. I just turned 50 myself ... and my dad just learned that he has a 50%+ clogged artery. So, needless to say, heart stuff has been on my mind. Maybe 2019 will be a whole new year for you :clap:

Oh well, fudge that stuff! Back to Super Dukes!!! :beer:

(I still don't have one, but hey, I'm lookin'!)

Dirty Wiz
Welcome Dave, though you have made a heap of posts before your intro one!
Have to t-up for a ride sometime with @scrub runner and @AusPete . There both on the sunny coast and nearly always up for a ride. I am a little higher up, but don't have my sd anymore, gone back to me ktm chook chasers. Though I will still come down that way on something and hopefully when the filth aren't out in force. Though last couple times they were.
Enjoy the gt!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Cheers guys........ Extrapolator has me sussed already...... that thread turned into a multipage saga..... anyhow, I'm still here...... learned not to ignore any unusual un-well feelings...... they can be killers :|.

Hey DW, I know scrubrunner..... well,... on the other forum we were all set to rub shoulders but I was hit and miss with my health and I slowly lost confidence in doing rides as I could never rely on how I would feel - my local GP doctors kept telling me it was a virus...... and after 8 months I told them it couldn't be..... rest is history, but at least I didn't have to have a heart attack to make my point..... got in before the big one (Thank fk for that otherwise I'd be calling myself "0:)Dave" and my location would be 'Outta this world' :laugh2:).

I'm feeling good, but it's 'one small step at a time' for me at the moment..... working my way up to the GT from the Tucson...... sadly, I'll probably never ride the CBR again.... it's not as relaxed & comfy as the SD and my body isn't as supple as it was last year, after all my bed riding during the year :wink2:,....... but we shall see eh?.... never say never eh? :wink2:.

Ps I was desperately trying to work out how to include my 'bragging list' into my posts, until I saw something about "signature line"..... and hey presto..... it's "Intro Time"...:grin2:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Cheers bro.....

Yes but they are kms, so not as long as miles :laugh2:.

I tend to keep good bikes for a long time, some years averaging 10k kms, some 20k kms...... since we can ride all year round here (winter is just zip in the liner and turn on the heated grips, and summer is wear the fully vented/perforated jacket and thin gloves and start early in the am :grin2:).

Unfortunately my time with KTM is not average (not KTM's fault....:wink2:) - but here's to playing catch-up in 2019!

Ps The really big mileage's on the FZR1000 & CBR1100xx were down to keeping them for 10yrs & 13yrs resp. The Yamaha needed an engine rebuild by 100k kms, but the Honda is still strong at 130k kms and uses no oil - it's a top quality machine easily capable of 200k kms before a rebuild........ unlike me eh?........ hit 60yo and fall apart:laugh2:

Reactions: DW

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks mick, today is forecast to reach 38C (approx 104F), recent rain (showers only) has raised the humidity to sweaty and uncomfortable. I think it will be a record hottest December day if it happens.

Forecast normal temps (high 20's) again on Saturday (today is Friday.... weird how the forum gets dates & times messed up sometimes)...... but if it does hit 38c...... I'll be down the local shopping plaza in the aircon :laugh2:

Cheers..... gotta go and hose the dog to cool him down.

Registered
Cheers bro.....

Yes but they are kms, so not as long as miles :laugh2:.
Oh yeah, I saw those little k's but they went in one eye and out the other. Anyway, close enough :thumb:

I tend to keep good bikes for a long time, some years averaging 10k kms, some 20k kms...... since we can ride all year round here (winter is just zip in the liner and turn on the heated grips, and summer is wear the fully vented/perforated jacket and thin gloves and start early in the am :grin2:).

Unfortunately my time with KTM is not average (not KTM's fault....:wink2:) - but here's to playing catch-up in 2019!

Ps The really big mileage's on the FZR1000 & CBR1100xx were down to keeping them for 10yrs & 13yrs resp. The Yamaha needed an engine rebuild by 100k kms, but the Honda is still strong at 130k kms and uses no oil - it's a top quality machine easily capable of 200k kms before a rebuild........ unlike me eh?........ hit 60yo and fall apart:laugh2:
You ride waaay more than me. I've probably got lass than 30,000 miles total on bikes ... at age 50. Been riding since about age 13, but just enduro riding in the beginning. And then once I could afford street bikes, I've generally ridden them some around town and a little out of town just on 1-2 hour trips, then put away for a week or 2 ... or 4+ :redface: A bike has never been my main transport mode.

Dirty Wiz
Dave mate, old scrubby's health aint the best either which may have held him up from catchin up with ya, he's a top bloke ay, hope you do heal up well and we do get to meet up with you. Judging by your ks you will fit in just nicely with scrubby, power ranger and myself. We don't usually ride any less than 500 klicks on one of our ride days.
I normally average inbetween 25-30k a year, sold my sd with 80k on it and the old franken fazer which I can never seem to part with is up over the tonne now (104k I think).
Let us know when you're ready for a blap. Maybe post up an invite in the Oz area and seq rides.
As far as commenting on the heat for our uk friends. Dunno about brissy but in Bundy it's "Farkin Hot" at the moment!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:laugh2::grin2:..... here I am replying to my own thread.....(again :laugh2:)..... but thankfully today's temp was only 30c+ hot, not 38c+ heatwave record hot....... phew.... :clap:. Still sweaty and humid but thanks to the strong winds we dodged a bullet - probably get hit with an angry thunderstorm tonight...... will have to drug the dog to stop him going insane with fear, but more rain is welcome (especially at night :wink2:).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
G'day DW......

Sorry mate, didn't clock your post (just above mine.... so how observant am I eh....:laugh2:).

I spotted on the foorum that Scrubby has now sold his SDR...... dam this super slow recovery thing...... I had the surgery way back in late March and have just been struggling for traction ever since...... get going good, start thinking bike, then phutttt something makes me feel iffy and I get cautious........ my last surgery was in June when the brains trust decided to stick an ICD in as a precaution (a pacemaker/defib device to control super low resting heart rate...... common issue for mugs like me that were super fit in our young days:wink2:). Then they had to drug me in Sept to do a test fire to make sure it was working correctly...... so I suppose i am really only 3 months out on the grand re-recovery....... was hoping for my first test ride on Xmas day - beautifully cool and no traffic - but have been feeling flushed and unwell this week....... faaaark...... I'm desperate to just get the power down and get a leg over eh >:)

Oh well, 2019 just around the corner.......

Dirty Wiz
G'day DW......

Sorry mate, didn't clock your post (just above mine.... so how observant am I eh....:laugh2:).

I spotted on the foorum that Scrubby has now sold his SDR...... dam this super slow recovery thing...... I had the surgery way back in late March and have just been struggling for traction ever since...... get going good, start thinking bike, then phutttt something makes me feel iffy and I get cautious........ my last surgery was in June when the brains trust decided to stick an ICD in as a precaution (a pacemaker/defib device to control super low resting heart rate...... common issue for mugs like me that were super fit in our young days:wink2:). Then they had to drug me in Sept to do a test fire to make sure it was working correctly...... so I suppose i am really only 3 months out on the grand re-recovery....... was hoping for my first test ride on Xmas day - beautifully cool and no traffic - but have been feeling flushed and unwell this week....... faaaark...... I'm desperate to just get the power down and get a leg over eh >:)

Oh well, 2019 just around the corner.......
No wukka's mate. Tis a shame that scrubby had to flog off his fire breathing dragon, hopefully we can get him back out on sumthin.
@AusPete and I will definitely be doing some rides in 2019. I think @690arrr is back up and riding and @hyperpete on there sprinty dukes.

Hopefully I get my little motard soon and can come down and chase those 2 around the mountains.
The longer Auspete style sd and sdgt suited trips I will have to use my cough:Yammy:cough.
Either way we will give ya a cooee!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers mate... will do....... just gotta make "first contact" :)laugh2: with my Gt) and get the recalls sorted :wink2:).

Not much stopping me now..... just the final stages of the shoulder stiffness slowly easing away.....:frown2: - maybe the bike will heal that up quicker...... a bit of treatment by Dr Orange eh?

Oh well...... it's 2019 now...... TFFT...... 2018 was a miserable year (for me), but I'm thankful for our medical system, even though I took the long road to recovery, the outcome has been spectacular....... it's great to be alive, and planning to ride my magnificent 1290GT :grin2:.

Ps I was looking for any latest info on 019 model GT (just for fun) and was astonished to read the comments some demented troll's had spewed onto review sites - they really need to get a life -or- spend some cash on a GT :grin2:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Keep it linear Dave progress is the way for you, 2019 is definitely your year,

:smile2::smile2: :wink2: :grin2:...... just read that 'anotherone...' has sat on the 19 GT already - so the newie model is close to hand...... prob shipments to EU are first to arrive..... ours will be still on the boat or being processed way over in Perth WA....... I'm heading down to my local this week to spend money on an ergo seat and book in for my over due recall's..... they might have a surprise on display :grin2:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Intro Thread "Moved"....... ?

Hey, I've been moved... :laugh2:...... but I can't see where to........ it's such a big forum... can't find where to ask a moderator question...... oh well, at least I know where I was.... :wink2::laugh2::grin2:

Ahaa..... moved to the back of the class (the Aussie-NZ section eh)........ down the bowel eh........:laugh2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.