KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
790R, KLX350, Canyon Enduracer, Santa Cruz
157 Posts
I put a Lithum battery in mine & the Kawa. Couldn't be happier, they hold their charge better, I think it had a higher CCA, and much lighter. You will need to get a Li specific charger with it.

· Registered
2016 690 Duke
146 Posts
Unpopular opinion: I have used Yuasa AGM batteries in all my bikes for over 25 years. I have not had any issues with them and they always last well beyond the 3 year average life expectancy of motorcycle batteries. They are also OEM batteries in a lot of bikes for good reason,

I have yet to buy into the Li batteries. I've had to pull more than a few out of crashed bikes trackside at the track before they burned the bike to the ground. I also ride year round and don't want to have to "wake up" the battery so it will have enough juice to start a cold engine. And the weight savings to me is silly. I have yet to meet anyone who could say the weight savings of a couple pounds in the battery was the difference in making their MotoGP championship dreams come true or remaining a track day hero.

· The Sanitized Comic
1,533 Posts
EarthX lithium battery has been in my GT the last 4 yrs and to date has exactly the same voltage as new. CCA is way more than stock and willingly spins the starter like it's a 50cc moped. I would easily be on my second lead/acid battery and thinking of of the next. Don't own a charger since it never seems to lose charge.

Caveat here is your climate - lithium loves mild weather ... very cold temps not so much.

· Registered
41 Posts
Antigravity ATZ-10 on my 390adv, nice to have the "re-start" button on it if the main ever goes dead, something I don't want to have happen on an efi bike out in the middle of nowhere. Anyone who's tried bump-starting an efi bike with a dead battery will understand why.

· Registered
'20 790 Adv R, '22 500 EXCF
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you all for your responses. had a yuasa in my triumph str. did the job for sure. lithium seems like it would be a bump up in starting performance and a bonus in saving a little weight. however, the article below sheds light on some concerns such as with overcharging dangers. says to check the bikes charging voltage, if it goes above 14.6 its not good for the lithium battery and can be dangerous. also mentions it may not be the best for a bike with lots of high-tech electrical devices. not sure what “lots” means.

regarding the cold, portland oregon can get down to the 20s (periodically) for a few days. if the roads are fine, i ride to work where my bike sits for 13 hrs. one night came out and my oem battery wouldn't turn the engine over, just clicked. bump started just fine. i later realized i left my quad lock smart charger in the auto position which is supposed to shut off when the battery is below 12.5v. apparently with its age and the cold, the battery couldn't help but loosing charge. went home and fully charged it, but the same has occurred again, but only if its cold and sitting.

anyways, thought id share.

· Registered
2016 690 Duke
146 Posts
What do you mean "wake up"?
When a Li battery is cold, like in the winter, they require some current to be run out of them to warm them up before they'll provide enough CCA's to start a cold engine. This is typically done by turning the ignition to the ON position so the lights illuminate for a minute or 2 then starting the engine.

· Registered
2022 Duke 890 GP | Coober LM | Spark Dual Exhaust | HtperPro Steering Damper | Corbin Custom Seat
71 Posts
I'm at work so I can't check, does anyone know the typical charging voltage of the Duke 890?

· Registered
8 Posts
If you get an agm or any wet battery, make sure it is NOT prefilled.
It should tops be filled by the seller when they ship it.
It should NOT have been sitting in storage filled, that destroys it.

My battery on my SAS, 2020, lasted 1.5 years, properly cared for.
The oem battery is a prefilled type, the battery is almost fully charged when filled, then it sits for 2-3 years, no charging at all. The battery is serverly damaged.

I put a varta agm, non prefilled battery in it. Working great so far.

· Registered
8 Posts
If you get an agm or any wet battery, make sure it is NOT prefilled.
It should tops be filled by the seller when they ship it.
It should NOT have been sitting in storage filled, that destroys it.

My battery on my SAS, 2020, lasted 1.5 years, properly cared for.
The oem battery is a prefilled type, the battery is almost fully charged when filled, then it sits for 2-3 years, no charging at all. The battery is serverly damaged.

I put a varta agm, non prefilled battery in it. Working great so far.
OEM is an AGM battery

· Registered
57 Posts
My experience with LI batteries is mixed. They work great(lots of juice, small, light, slow discharge) until they don’t. They don’t seem to have a slow deterioration in perf like a standard battery but just fail all of a sudden. I’ve had 3 and used a LI specific charger. Back to Yuasa for me

· Registered
2022, KTM 390 Adventure and Suzuki RV200
5 Posts
My experience with LI batteries is mixed. They work great(lots of juice, small, light, slow discharge) until they don’t. They don’t seem to have a slow deterioration in perf like a standard battery but just fail all of a sudden. I’ve had 3 and used a LI specific charger. Back to Yuasa for me
All the motorcycle batteries that I've ever had to replace have failed "all of a sudden."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts