KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
The DRZ is NOT a KTM. I would think the 390 has much more power, but the DRZ has plenty enough for dirt. The problem with the DRZ is the seat is like sitting on a 2x4 and it only has 5 gears. At 65 mph, it is ready for 6th gear but there isn’t one. If you replace the 15t front sprocket with a 16t, it does much better on the freeway and still rides fine in the dirt. The DRZ is a lot of bang for your buck, but as I said, it is not a KTM.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The DRZ is NOT a KTM. I would think the 390 has much more power, but the DRZ has plenty enough for dirt. The problem with the DRZ is the seat is like sitting on a 2x4 and it only has 5 gears. At 65 mph, it is ready for 6th gear but there isn’t one. If you replace the 15t front sprocket with a 16t, it does much better on the freeway and still rides fine in the dirt. The DRZ is a lot of bang for your buck, but as I said, it is not a KTM.
100 % correct. but I paid very little for it and spent a bit upgrading it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Lets go another way with that and say I go a couple teeth smaller on the 390? also nobody has mentioned the 690?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Lets go another way with that and say I go a couple teeth smaller on the 390? also nobody has mentioned the 690?
1 down in the front is the same (approx) as 2 up in the back. Check out gearingcommander.com - that will let you put in or subtract teeth front/rear and give you resulting changes in performance.
690 is a full on enduro bike and costs as much as an 890 (sort of.) I think you'd enjoy an 890 much more than a 690 for your application..

·
Registered
249 Posts
To me, the 390 is a street bike that can ride easy dirt. I don’t like the wheels or suspension (I like 21/18 and not being able to touch the ground). The 690 is a street legal dirt bike, basically a DRZ on steroids. Also, the 690 has much longer service intervals than the 500 exc. I was planning on buying a Husky 701 until KTM released the 790R.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
To me, the 390 is a street bike that can ride easy dirt. I don’t like the wheels or suspension (I like 21/18 and not being able to touch the ground). The 690 is a street legal dirt bike, basically a DRZ on steroids. Also, the 690 has much longer service intervals than the 500 exc. I was planning on buying a Husky 701 until KTM released the 790R.
so the 'flaws' with the 790 are slightly exaggerated

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 790 fuel sender went out, replaced under warranty. No other problems with the bike other than it usually takes 3 attempts to start when the motor is cold. My DRZ starts 1st attempt, and that carburetor is 16 years old. DRZ needed a new stator/voltage regulator several years ago, but no other problems, and still original brakes but it doesn’t stop like the 790. I would buy these bikes again, happy with both.

·
Registered
2020 1290 SAS, '09 BMW R1200RT-P, 2003 VStrom1k
25 Posts
You should read some reviews on the 390. Seems you could cruise at 75mph easily. I have ridden a DRZ over 100 miles on mostly highway(multiple times) It does fine at highway speeds after you get used to the front feeling a little light. But the seat will wreck you!! The 390 has 37.5 HP as measured by Cycle World. I haven't seen reliable HP numbers for the DRZ, anything from 33-39.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Get a seat concepts seat.. They are well worth the wait.

·
Registered
2020 390 Adventure
2 Posts
First, I didn’t read all the previous responses and I’ll make no suggestions about what you need. I’ll just share my experiences and what I like about the 390 Adventure.
I have close to 10K miles on my 390 Adventure. I’m 74, 5’6” and shrinking, 155 lbs. I am done with the hero sections and single track, log jumping, rock gardens, deep sand. I’m also done with blitzing down the Interstate. I sold my DL1000 and bought the 390 and let my grandson ride my too tall WR250R. Here is what I do with the 390. I ride two tracks and keep up with the bigger bikes and younger riders at a decent pace. I ride highways at 60 mph for hours. I ride gravel back roads at 35 to 45 mph. I can pick it up on solid level ground but it’s a struggle. It does all these things very well. It’s better in the gravel and two track than the Suzuki. Better on the road than the Yamaha.

if you plan on riding single track, tough dirt sections you can do better. If you want to travel on the interstates you can find something better suited. If you have a need for big power there’s better options. The 390 Adventure checks all the things that I bought it to do.

·
Registered
390 Adventure
13 Posts
After favoring bigger bikes for a long time, I got a 2020 390 Adv last year. Everyone who says they are underpowered and can't keep up is either a lying weasel and hasn't ridden it, or just doesn't know how to ride. Around town it really shines. LOTS of power to blow away cars, and merge onto highways. It's ludicrous that anyone would claim otherwise. ON the highway, it can hold 75 just fine. Would I ride it cross country? No. I have ridden it for about two hour trips and that's fine, I didn't want for power. I no longer do longer trips.

I absolutely love this bike. The bike next to it in the garage is an 1100 that has seen so few miles since I got the 390. Love the weight and overall usability of it. Around town in traffic it's so much nicer than a larger bike.

Loaded for an overnight out of town trip in the mountains.

·
Registered
390 Adventure
13 Posts
It does great on this type of terrain, including a gnarly uphill just to the left of that. BUT!!! Turn off the traction control!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm considering adding an offroad bike to the stable. I haven't ridden dirt since my 100 cc mx days 45 years ago. My buddy's say the 390 adv is too small for the hwy stretches but both of them have to wait for help when they go down on their 600lb behemoths. I'm a fit 62 but short at 5'7" and would rather be confident in the dirt than comfortable on the street(I think) and want some recommendations, not putting anakee's on the sdr:)
Oh I started drinking the orange Kool-Aid with the Exie 500 lightly used and then added a lightly used 1190 ADV. I can pick up my 1190 in the dirt with gear but it is very heavy so I found a lightly used 790 R which fills the gap really well. I can ride it like the 500 in the dirt and it is super capable on the street. Keep on the look out for a clean used 790 R.

·
Registered
2020 890R w/track package
1 Posts
I'm considering adding an offroad bike to the stable. I haven't ridden dirt since my 100 cc mx days 45 years ago. My buddy's say the 390 adv is too small for the hwy stretches but both of them have to wait for help when they go down on their 600lb behemoths. I'm a fit 62 but short at 5'7" and would rather be confident in the dirt than comfortable on the street(I think) and want some recommendations, not putting anakee's on the sdr:)
Hello, I"m 66 been riding 50+ years, 5 11 175. Just finished my collection. 330 lbs to 600 lbs. 390 Duke on hiway is just fine. Loaded up 75 mph on NY state thruway going to Vermont non stop 350 miles. Gas stop once. She sits high. 32 inch inseam just makes it. Rides real nice especially on the back roads.

Collection NO TRAILER QUEENS. I use them all. GTS1000, Niken GT 850 brandy new, 390 Duke, 890R Duke, Griso 1150 SE, KZ 750, FJ 1200, SR500, FZR 400, Busa 1300. NO such thing as an all purpose dirt/street. They can do a decent job but for me purpose built is best. Moral of the story: If you can afford it get one of each and really enjoy purpose built for the job. Lots of good used stuff out there for peanuts. Thats my take. Good luck. PS the FJ, SR and FZR are for sale. Stan

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I was reading a top speed of 93mph so at least it wont be rapped out on the hwy. The SDR has become my everyday even long weekend ride, but the gtl is the bike for slabbing across the country or 2 up riding. The trails are a couple hours away and my riding buddy's are on bigger bikes, doing 3 day guided rides. Maybe I'll buy a decent used 500ex or 690 enduro and rent an adventure for the mixed stuff. At this point I can take all winter to decide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
you should do it. adverture riding is so fun. i have a 2020 ktm 790r and love it but its very tall. im 64 6ft 170 but im a experenced motocross racer. my friend has a yamaha tenre
sorry my friend has a yamaha tnere 700. very nice bike and not to tall.

·
Registered
23 Posts
you should do it. adverture riding is so fun. i have a 2020 ktm 790r and love it but its very tall. im 64 6ft 170 but im a experenced motocross racer. my friend has a yamaha tenre

sorry my friend has a yamaha tnere 700. very nice bike and not to tall.
also close to 4k cheaper.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have you ridden your friends Yamaha 700 to compare to your 790R. My last Yamaha was an XT-350, a good bike but the suspension wasn’t great. To me, the 790R is worth the extra $4k over the 700, but I have never ridden the 700. No way I would give up cruise control.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you ridden your friends Yamaha 700 to compare to your 790R. My last Yamaha was an XT-350, a good bike but the suspension wasn’t great. To me, the 790R is worth the extra $4k over the 700, but I have never ridden the 700. No way I would give up cruise control.
no i havent rode the yamaha but it only has switchable abs, nothing else. i agree with you about spending extra money. my bike is awsome, id take on a motocross track. have to pay extra for cruse controll though. the 890 comes with the cruse controll switches now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
no i havent rode the yamaha but it only has switchable abs, nothing else. i agree with you about spending extra money. my bike is awsome, id take on a motocross track. have to pay extra for cruse controll though. the 890 comes with the cruse controll switches now.
they are all heavy bikes though. they are not good for hard core trail riding.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts