KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did a trip on my 790R while waiting for the back ordered cruise control (CC) switch even though I said I wanted it when I put down my deposit. My right wrist was fatigued after a few hours. Now that I have CC, I can’t live without it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Same with Bluetooth to the helmet. I didn’t know that existed until 2-3 years ago. Now can’t live without that either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same with Bluetooth to the helmet. I didn’t know that existed until 2-3 years ago. Now can’t live without that either.
yes but i refuse to give them more money. i paid top dollar and wont let them milk me for more. just bought a 21 bmw rt1250 road bike. it has everything.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Your BMW has everything, but you paid for it. I can’t believe KTM is charging extra for Rally mode on the 890R. The 890R Rally model has everything, but you pay for it plus some in it’s price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your BMW has everything, but you paid for it. I can’t believe KTM is charging extra for Rally mode on the 890R. The 890R Rally model has everything, but you pay for it plus some in it’s price.
really? my 790r came with rally on it. i think all bmws are for more reliable than the ktms also. i have a 2020 450 factory edition and im very happy with that one though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes, KTM make guys pay extra now for rally mode on the 890R like 790S guys had to. Mine is always in rally mode, and if buying an 890R, I would pay extra for CC, QS, and rally mode. Maybe even heated grips, but don’t have those on my 790R. l’ve never had heated grip, so I don’t know what I’m missing.

·
Registered
2018 1290 SAR
87 Posts
I'm not so sure about BMWs being more reliable. That may have been true at one time but there have been a lot of recalls lately on BMWs. That, and the large difference in price, are why I bought the KTM in the first place. My BMW R1200GS had been wrecked in an accident. I also find it irritating that KTM charges extra for what is actually a bit of firmware code. Today, I tried to pick up the 1290R using some of the recommended methods, and failed miserably. I'll do a couple more rides on it this fall and then put it up for sale. Not sure what to get next. I think I should be able to pick up 450 lbs and I'd like to get something with at least 100hp. Research time! I could always just setup my 1991 Suzuki DR650 and go old school. The traction control is me, the ABS is me, and the electric starter is, wait for it, me again! It's not 100hp of course.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’m the same way, I want my bike to work better in the dirt than on the road. Not knowing how much dirt, or what kind of terrain you would be riding the 390 would work fine for dirt/fire roads, even some two track, but for hard core trails it sits to low. The 690 KTM Enduro is a nice 50/50 bike, but it does sit high and you would need to lower it a little to be comfortable. You could go with the KTM 500 and set it up the way you want it but it’s really comes down to how you feel on the different bikes and what fits you best.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I have been bitten by the orange and black. Screw boring linear power bands. What it comes down to is how aggressive I'm going be off road and that will probably change with experience. If I'm smart i'll buy a used 390 and find out how far I want to venture.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts