KTM Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of hard to describe so ill do my best. I just got a new EXC-F 500 six days 2021, and theres something happening with it thats concerning me.
It doesn’t happen all the time but when jt does heres what im doing. More often than not i will pull up to a stop sign in first with the clutch pulled in, sometimes i pull the throttle while waiting to turn just to rev the bike a little but nothing crazy like 2000 rpms maybe. Sometimes when i do this ill hear a loud knock, and then i do it again the bike will just die. I noticed when i start it back up while in gear and clutch pulled the bike will try to move a little. This happens to me when im stoped sometimes but it did happen to me while i was moving as well. I was downshift to a stop sign and was in second and the bike died(clutch was pulled in). All of this was happening before i did the first 31 miles, im hopping its just the bike breaking in but wanted see if i have a more serious issue on my hands. Again this doesn’t happen every time a come to a stop but it does happen sometimes.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Hi Lafdew,

:unsure:...... can I ask how much riding you have done? Is the 500 the biggest bike you've owned/ridden?

In any case, new bikes can be very mechanically tight and sticky. It may be that you've just been a little slow to pull the clutch in while slowing down to stop and the gearbox has stalled the motor. All bikes will try to jump forward when in gear and being started while cold. Some will jump even when hot, especially when still so new and not broken in. It just takes a little time and a few miles........

I'd say don't baby that bike, don't red line rev it yet (wait till after the 1st service at 620mls(?) ), but tell it who's boss and make it work for you...... it will slowly break in and become more civilized in traffic. Singles can make some awful engine knocking noises unless you keep the rpm up and make the motor run smoother.

(y) If it still concerns you after a few more miles, tell the dealer mechanic so he can check it out. If it blows up it's covered by warranty........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lafdew,

:unsure:...... can I ask how much riding you have done? Is the 500 the biggest bike you've owned/ridden?

In any case, new bikes can be very mechanically tight and sticky. It may be that you've just been a little slow to pull the clutch in while slowing down to stop and the gearbox has stalled the motor. All bikes will try to jump forward when in gear and being started while cold. Some will jump even when hot, especially when still so new and not broken in. It just takes a little time and a few miles........

I'd say don't baby that bike, don't red line rev it yet (wait till after the 1st service at 620mls(?) ), but tell it who's boss and make it work for you...... it will slowly break in and become more civilized in traffic. Singles can make some awful engine knocking noises unless you keep the rpm up and make the motor run smoother.

(y) If it still concerns you after a few more miles, tell the dealer mechanic so he can check it out. If it blows up it's covered by warranty........
The first oil changed is for 31 miles and i hit that today. Im doing the change tomorrow. I hope its just the break in. And when it turns off the bike is at a complete stope with the clutch all the way pulled in.Thanks for the info and yes the 500 is my biggest bike.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Cheers Lafdew,

It's likely just very new clutch plates needing to soak in some oil and wear smooth..... at 31 miles, they will still be very dry (guys that replace clutch packs on old bikes often let the new clutch plates soak in oil overnight). It may also be the nature of a brand new 500cc single...... a big cantankerous lump that might stall until all the engine bearings and piston surfaces are worn in and loosen up.... my 1290 took >5000miles to fully loosen up. It was fine from new, but it was much better after a few 000 miles of spirited riding.

Also, Euro4/5 tuning might mean that the new engine may be prone to stopping until it wears in..... they have to run on the lean side of correct to pass emissions. See how it goes with the new oil and filter. My 1290 factory idle speed is 1500rpm..... don't be concerned if your 500 has a high factory set idle... it may need that to idle as it also probably has a light crankshaft and high compression for high performance (a KTM thing).

(y) PS 31miles 1st oil change? Is that KTM spec or personal preference? My 1290 1st service was at 620 mls.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Lafdew,

It's likely just very new clutch plates needing to soak in some oil and wear smooth..... at 31 miles, they will still be very dry (guys that replace clutch packs on old bikes often let the new clutch plates soak in oil overnight). It may also be the nature of a brand new 500cc single...... a big cantankerous lump that might stall until all the engine bearings and piston surfaces are worn in and loosen up.... my 1290 took >5000miles to fully loosen up. It was fine from new, but it was much better after a few 000 miles of spirited riding.

Also, Euro4/5 tuning might mean that the new engine may be prone to stopping until it wears in..... they have to run on the lean side of correct to pass emissions. See how it goes with the new oil and filter. My 1290 factory idle speed is 1500rpm..... don't be concerned if your 500 has a high factory set idle... it may need that to idle as it also probably has a light crankshaft and high compression for high performance (a KTM thing).

(y) PS 31miles 1st oil change? Is that KTM spec or personal preference? My 1290 1st service was at 620 mls.
Yeah book says first change at 31 and then the second at 465. I thought it was a little soon too but i watched a video of them changing it at 31 And there was quite a bit of metal on the filters, so it seems to make sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is kind of hard to describe so ill do my best. I just got a new EXC-F 500 six days 2021, and theres something happening with it thats concerning me.
It doesn’t happen all the time but when jt does heres what im doing. More often than not i will pull up to a stop sign in first with the clutch pulled in, sometimes i pull the throttle while waiting to turn just to rev the bike a little but nothing crazy like 2000 rpms maybe. Sometimes when i do this ill hear a loud knock, and then i do it again the bike will just die. I noticed when i start it back up while in gear and clutch pulled the bike will try to move a little. This happens to me when im stoped sometimes but it did happen to me while i was moving as well. I was downshift to a stop sign and was in second and the bike died(clutch was pulled in). All of this was happening before i did the first 31 miles, im hopping its just the bike breaking in but wanted see if i have a more serious issue on my hands. Again this doesn’t happen every time a come to a stop but it does happen sometimes.
Hey Lafdew, I just got the same bike and am running into the exact same issue. I'm at around 40 miles on it now and did the break in oil change at 30. Wondering what was the resolution for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts