KTM Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the help and the offer, but I'm in oregon, so just a little too far .. I'm wondering if I got one last little bit of crud, or if I seated a gasket properly. I really just don't know

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Anyone know if putting in an air filter when there wasn't one before would cause a lean mixture?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What I've found is that the bike will start and run if I tighten the fuel screw and pull the choke all the way out. It will then die as soon as I put the choke in (even if the bike is warm). When I loosen the fuel screw to richen the mixture (doing what the choke does, right?) it won't start at all. I really need some help here.

Thanks a ton

·
Registered
327 Posts
:cool:Sounds like the piolet jet is still plugged or too small, air screw should be about 1-1 1/2 out, Is the choke a plunger style?If you don't have another p jet, try to use stripped wire to make sure the jet is all clean and open, use carb cleaner to blast the hole the jet goes into then brake clean to rinse...keep at it, you will get it...(y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Jets are clean. What I just remembered is that it never got re-jetted after moving to oregon (350 ft) from utah (4,500 ft). If it got re-jetted by the guy who had it there then I definitely need to, right?

Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
:cool:I would say yes,Does the owners manual give stock carb specs?other wise, what are the ones in there now?I would go up at least 1or2 on piolet,clip on needle in middle, that should get it to start and run, BUT before all that what does the book call for stock? or what's in it now?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'll check it out. At the moment (literally 30 seconds ago) I got it to start using the choke, but if I put it on full choke, then it vibrated enough to move the bike a couple feet while on the center stand. When I left it barely choked, it still sounded terrible, but I got it to warm up. It died when I took the choke off even when it was warm.

·
Registered
327 Posts
:cool:If it needs the choke on to keep running then it's lean, IS the piolet clean??run stripped wire through all holes or replace,I would put 1 or 2 sizes bigger in and test, jot down what sizes are in the carb when your in there and let me-us know...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I feel really stupid, but I discovered that one of the hose clamps holding the boot on the carb was loose. When I tightened it, it suddenly fixed the vibration problem. Any idea why that would be?

·
Registered
327 Posts
:cool:Clamp on engine side would be like a air leak and could cause your problems,go over ALL your work to make sure all is good, does it start ? run??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Starts and runs. Still not the easiest start (I have to run try starting it, stop, and then try again), and it doesn't sound perfect, but it does run.

·
Registered
327 Posts
:cool:Do you have a # that I could call you and talk, I mostly get on here every morning and then check later in afternoon, I have adds and have to reply sometimes. So you have it running, does it idle? if you give it throttle and hold it will the engine stay steady at the raised setting?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sorry for being unclear. What I meant by running it was holding down the electric starter. The engine would turn over, and then nothing. Yesterday when I let it rest and then tried again, it started right up. This morning, it won't start at all. My number is 541-231-6692.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update:
I think I have found my problem: the bike is to rich. I got it to start by tightening the idle screw all the way, and then by using the choke/enrichener. I then immediately turn off the choke, and it idles fine ( and runs fine overall as I took it for a ride). As far as I know, that just means I need to go down a size in the idle/pilot jet and move the clip one position up the needle jet.

Thanks for all your support throughout this process. Couldn't have done it with out you.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts