KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have wanted to do an oil analysis thread where all the reports are in one place.
So.... Here's my first. I will go through the forum and copy all the duke reports I can find and re post them here.

I'm happy with the results and staying with maxima

Newjersey, what Maxima are you using again? I am going to give it a try.

EDIT: I see it is written up top. Extra 15W50?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Looks like a good one, Jersey! Hope my Maxima Extra 4 10w60 performs as well when I make the complete change (right now just feeding this lump's drinking problem with Maxima, rather than the exorbitantly priced comparable Motorex).
We had a bike on the Aprilia tuono forum drinking a quart every 1000 miles, guys on the forum figured it was the motul 300 racing oil designed to evaporate to aid in engine cooling during laps. may be redundant info here, but it was news to me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Red Line 20W60

Here's the latest oil report. Hi Silicon is due to installation of the CAM. I'm happy with the redline–it will likely be my "winter" (in los angeles oil) with shorter drain interval and the Amsoil SAE 60 will be my summer, longer drain interval oil.

I will also do a 1k mile run of the maxima 10w60 to see how it shears.

Down the line I may look at other straight 60 weights as well as running the conventional valvoline 20w50 for 1k miles runs at $3.99/quart

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good to see no silver even tho not everyone is using the "only approved" oil. ZDDP can definitely corrode silver bearings (i have seen it on EMD diesels) but maybe the ones in the LC4 actually are not...

Good thread.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you for continuing to update this tread. I'll add my own when I get the results but it will be considerably slower since I'm at about 600 mi/month.

I'm just at the 1st break in oil change with my 2016 and the service schedule shows about every 6k miles? Is this different than a 2013? Sounds like I should at start by cutting this in half from your results albertdi.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
6000 miles, sounds like a lot to me. But I screw pipes together for a living and the engineers who make these things are smart people... But being me, im going to find out for myself. Increasing my oil changes by 500 miles until i see a bad report. In truth, ive already changed from suggested oil so its hard to tell who is right or wrong.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Pretty much all the oils I've had tested indicate significant shearing early on in the service life of the oil. The question of whether lubrication is adequate or not at the sheared viscosity is unresolved. No top end problems yet!

Taking a sample of motorcycle oil with a pump is easy so, if extending your oil change interval is what you want, start at a number you are comfortable and work your way up in 500 to 1000 mile increments.

I ran the 10-60 weight oils 1k only to see if anything would hold viscosity and, well, nothing did. Once I found this out I gave up on the pursuit of recommend viscosity #'s. Now I'm interested in short drain intervals to minimize wear and cheap oil to support the habit. The report with the valvoline 20-50 should come back any day now so stay tuned. If the valvoline produces similar wear number I will stick with 1,000 mile intervals. Drain and re-fill. Clean the filters once every 3k miles or so.

I'm running the amsoil sae 60 right now and it feels great. I may run a longer interval just to see what happens. Come September I will be re-locating to rural washington state and I don't know what my oil choice will be! Def not the amsoil 60!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm going to have the dealer do the post break-in service just to give everything a once over on the bike after 600 miles. Then check the motorex 10W-60 they put in after 2000 miles, run Amsoil SAE 60 for 2000 miles, and then adjust the interval accordingly.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm not looking for Diesel engine intervals but between 3-4000 is my target. That way I can change it before the winter nap. Than one mid summer.
All the reports I see do shear down to around a 40# pretty fast so maybe cheaper is better as long as it holds up for 3000.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What's your take on the valvoline? cheap and not too bad, but not as good as Redline or Amsoil SAE60?
For longer runs 3-6k in summer months Amsoil SAE 60 Weight
For shorter runs 1k in LA year round or in October through May, Valv 20w/50

I think 1k run, drain, re-fill; clean all filters every 3k

send in samples from your machine to know for sure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here's my latest UOA

If you want ALL of the data so far please visit:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pwqbOCfafYeHwalhctrVMPdlDbIH45oc236MucfM8IE/edit#gid=0

I am concerned about the aluminum spike. Could be time to swap out the rocker arms... I have been riding more aggressively, though.

Next up will be Maxima 10W60 on a leaded race fuel diet. One cup of VP C12 every other tank. Should be interesting!

Would love to see more UOA posts from other members...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Got my first report back for my duke 1st real oil change after break-in service.
3300 miles on Motorex
Saw some small flakes in the screens which were mentioned when submitting the oil sample.
Switching to Amsoil SAE 60 V Twin oil for the next 3000

Attachments

21 - 40 of 58 Posts