KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to move the handlebars to the forward position. Theres bolts that seem to be T-40 torx Bolts. They come right out. Below the handlebars, the bolts are largely, but T-45 is too big, it slips out. T-40 is so loose, I'm afraid I'll strip the bolt, and whoever put these things in tightened them way too much.

So I figure, KTM has special bolt sizes, I have special driver sizes, or I'm "special."

Which is it, folks?

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
You're special....:) be sure to use proper fitting tool. There are some bastard sized torx with #42 and half sizes as well. I suspect you may need one of those oddball wrenches. You may find your bolt size is a bastard size also. Some bar mounts and triple clamps use a 7mm bolt. Best to use 6 point hex socket whenever possible. Torx inserts will usually twist off under high torque. Some of the factory assembly idiots do not lubricate fasteners, others are assembled with thread locking compound. Either one would kill a torx insert. Either would likely need small propane torch or heat gun to assist in removal. Be patient! If you find a torx or other internal fastener is beginning to slip, give the head of bolt a few sharp taps with a hammer and brass drift and try again. The tapping will help close the loose fit between fastener and tool and hammer shock will help relieve surface tension of your bolt head and ease removal. Good luck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

So I finally got em out. Turns out craftsman makes trash torx drivers, even the "made in usa" ones were not properly profiled. I got a new T40 and T45 and they fit like a charm.

Turns out the riser bolts were in pretty tight along with enough thread locker to choke a goat. Took a lot of torque just to turn it even after breaking it loose - I thought I was gonna see threads come out with it lol.

The owners manual calls for some torque plus loctite. Seems excessive for a bolt that cant come out unless the whole handlebar is removed.

As a side note, the 890 is way more comfortable with bars in the forward position, especially at track.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

So I finally got em out. Turns out craftsman makes trash torx drivers, even the "made in usa" ones were not properly profiled. I got a new T40 and T45 and they fit like a charm.

Turns out the riser bolts were in pretty tight along with enough thread locker to choke a goat. Took a lot of torque just to turn it even after breaking it loose - I thought I was gonna see threads come out with it lol.

The owners manual calls for some torque plus loctite. Seems excessive for a bolt that cant come out unless the whole handlebar is removed.

As a side note, the 890 is way more comfortable with bars in the forward position, especially at track.

P.s. none of this is meant to argue that I am not special.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts