KTM Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall- I have a small but persistent leak from the front brake reservoir on my 2015 1290r. I'm pretty sure the gasket has a little split in it, but rather than replace with stock I'm looking to upgrade with a little bling. Any recommendations? When I search, all I find are caps for the stock reservoirs. Thanks,
MK

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey yall- I have a small but persistent leak from the front brake reservoir on my 2015 1290r. I'm pretty sure the gasket has a little split in it, but rather than replace with stock I'm looking to upgrade with a little bling. Any recommendations? When I search, all I find are caps for the stock reservoirs. Thanks,
MK
I dig my Rizomas

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, forgot about them as an option. I've had their mirrors on my MV and really liked them

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yeah, the Rizomas are pretty nice. I have seen reservoirs that are orange anodized aluminum. However, there are no sight windows in them to check fluid levels. It always seemed like a bad idea.

·
Registered
Rat Bike
25 Posts
Mish those look really nice and I like that they're European (Italian) parts going on a European bike, I'm considering getting a set myself, but let me ask you, how long have you been using them and have you had any issues with leaks, specifically, have you noticed the seals are swelling or cracking? I've read some reviews of Rizoma's reservoirs having leaking issues and brake fluid damaging the paint on the tank, but who knows, that may have just been a temp QC issue and has been resolved now?

I worked in an Industrial lab for years, and when we would get large orders from companies like 3M I would test their products in our equipment, one of the most common issues would be swelling Nitrile gaskets that caused leaking and depressurization just like this, the solution was to go with higher quality synthetic Viton gaskets made of different compounds, but these are more expensive, which makes me wonder if Rizoma might be trying to save a buck or two on the gaskets, I honestly have no idea though as I've never used them myself, but they look the best of all the aftermarket reservoirs I've seen so far.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mish those look really nice and I like that they're European (Italian) parts going on a European bike, I'm considering getting a set myself, but let me ask you, how long have you been using them and have you had any issues with leaks, specifically, have you noticed the seals are swelling or cracking? I've read some reviews of Rizoma's reservoirs having leaking issues and brake fluid damaging the paint on the tank, but who knows, that may have just been a temp QC issue and has been resolved now?

I worked in an Industrial lab for years, and when we would get large orders from companies like 3M I would test their products in our equipment, one of the most common issues would be swelling Nitrile gaskets that caused leaking and depressurization just like this, the solution was to go with higher quality synthetic Viton gaskets made of different compounds, but these are more expensive, which makes me wonder if Rizoma might be trying to save a buck or two on the gaskets, I honestly have no idea though as I've never used them myself, but they look the best of all the aftermarket reservoirs I've seen so far.
So far I have had zero issues. I'm also using the specified fluid for the correct reservoir. What I mean is, I know some people used a Mineral Oil reservoir for DOT4/5.1 and vice versa and that caused leaks and issues.
Just make sure you're buying for dot 4 / 5.1 fluid

·
Registered
Rat Bike
25 Posts
So far I have had zero issues. I'm also using the specified fluid for the correct reservoir. What I mean is, I know some people used a Mineral Oil reservoir for DOT4/5.1 and vice versa and that caused leaks and issues.
Just make sure you're buying for dot 4 / 5.1 fluid
Ya that may have been it, they used the wrong fluid, makes sense, thanks Mish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts