KTM Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Power is very close for both. Comes down to rider really. Cr500 will run 11 sec quarter mile times if set up correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
Great topic. Great question. No easy answer. If I had to pick a winner I would always pick a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke in a drag race. 2 stroke of equal horsepower should equal same speed as 4 stroke on flat out speed run but 4 stroke will hook up and outrun the 2 stroke in drag race with all factors equal due to softer/ smoother power delivery of 4 stroke. The smoker has an abrupt power delivery characteristic that will smoke the tire where the thumper will hook up and run away in closed course race. Open racing would be a different story.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Great topic. Great question. No easy answer. If I had to pick a winner I would always pick a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke in a drag race. 2 stroke of equal horsepower should equal same speed as 4 stroke on flat out speed run but 4 stroke will hook up and outrun the 2 stroke in drag race with all factors equal due to softer/ smoother power delivery of 4 stroke. The smoker has an abrupt power delivery characteristic that will smoke the tire where the thumper will hook up and run away in closed course race. Open racing would be a different story.
unless I’m wrong, the 540 KTM is a 2 stroke. Also dirt or pavement of equal cc’s id take a 2 stroke for the win any day. Especially on pavement.
back in the day I took a 81 YZ 465 and set it up for street racing. Smoked almost everything that was 12 secs and slower. Kz 900 and 750’s

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
unless I’m wrong, the 540 KTM is a 2 stroke. Also dirt or pavement of equal cc’s id take a 2 stroke for the win any day. Especially on pavement.
back in the day I took a 81 YZ 465 and set it up for street racing. Smoked almost everything that was 12 secs and slower. Kz 900 and 750’s
Yep. I mis understood. Thought we were referring to 520 4 stroke. Closer scrutiny proves you are correct. I also agree with your pre historic YZ465 claim having raced against those in the air cooled big bore days. The YZ was a monster back then. I ran Maico 490 in early 80s and the 465 and 490 Yammys were big time contenders. I think the KTM 540 was mid 80s but never rode one. I didn't need a street sweeper single back in those days. Back in 1970s I rode several 500 and 750 2 stroke triples and survived teenage speed lust stupidity. Big bore moto monsters like your YZ feel just as fast because of light weight and twitchy handling on road. Back then we didn't care as long as it was fast.

Reactions: Jimmy boy

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yep. I mis understood. Thought we were referring to 520 4 stroke. Closer scrutiny proves you are correct. I also agree with your pre historic YZ465 claim having raced against those in the air cooled big bore days. The YZ was a monster back then. I ran Maico 490 in early 80s and the 465 and 490 Yammys were big time contenders. I think the KTM 540 was mid 80s but never rode one. I didn't need a street sweeper single back in those days. Back in 1970s I rode several 500 and 750 2 stroke triples and survived teenage speed lust stupidity. Big bore moto monsters like your YZ feel just as fast because of light weight and twitchy handling on road. Back then we didn't care as long as it was fast.
I went with the Gpz 750 to the big Ninjas. I still ride crotch rockets as my 03 gixxer 1000 has 160,000 on the clock! 17 R1M has almost 20k
bikes are like rockets now😬😬
I like those H1 and H2’s. RD’s too.
317CF90B-08CE-40A7-8EFB-BFEE8EB04A2E.jpeg
1EA9164D-2E23-473B-B2A6-48818F0C4CAE.jpeg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts