KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Basen on your experience can I unbend a rear brake disk?, My son's disk bended last saturday and I dont know if I can fix it or its better to replace it

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Thin rotors have lots of spring to them. You can try to straighten them,but it's a fool's task. Hard alloys have a molecular memory when deformed and tend to go right back to where you found them. Imagine pushing over a brick wall and trying to push it back to vertical and having all the bricks align straight afterwards. Your metal rotors molecules have done the same things as the bricks in the wall. You can true up the rotor to make your next moto if you had to, but as soon as it warms up it's going to wobble like a drunk in a minefield. Best to replace the rotor. You can get a guard to protect it if you would like to prevent future damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thin rotors have lots of spring to them. You can try to straighten them,but it's a fool's task. Hard alloys have a molecular memory when deformed and tend to go right back to where you found them. Imagine pushing over a brick wall and trying to push it back to vertical and having all the bricks align straight afterwards. Your metal rotors molecules have done the same things as the bricks in the wall. You can true up the rotor to make your next moto if you had to, but as soon as it warms up it's going to wobble like a drunk in a minefield. Best to replace the rotor. You can get a guard to protect it if you would like to prevent future damage.
Thanks for the info!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Andres Tamez
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing