KTM Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
No problems.with exhausts, and thevalve shims can affect 09/10R too in certain condition ( track mostly )
It seems the cause is the cam chain tensioners.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I'm not convinced, from what I've seen and heard only 2011- have lost shims and only when running with an EVO1 or EVO4 (without club kit).

And I'm told that in some parts of the world (UK for sure) KTM sent out a notice saying EVO-1 on 2011- could cause damage - with the damage from dealer feedback being lost shims and associated valve train issues.

Do you have any other confirmed examples?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yea lots of examples at my dealer (who's got the team and work with ktm austria for racing)
It's absolutely not the exhaust that cause valve float (and I think the logic can told so too, but why not) but the cam chain tensioner, and they know it yes.

And yes it happen on 09/10R too and track models.

And yes again they have some cases started in 2009 when racing or on tracks.
And some cases with stock exhaust too.

Very rare on roads, but not uncommon on tracks in certain conditions.

To avoid this ktm told them to put w60 oil and to mod the cam chain tensioners or put the manual ones they gave them ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you saying that a stock LC8 engine in an RC8R on the road can loose a shim through no fault of the user, and that KTM know this issue exists and have done nothing about it.

If not then what are you saying, how do these engines loose shims and what have KTM done to do something about it.

A Shim free in the engine is a potential engine lock, that is a potential death.

Please provide more information if you have it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It happens more in track, but they have 2/3 case where it was on the road.
It happens on deccel/downshift at very/too high rpm.

Very rare on roads, not on tracks.

Just a mod on the cam chain tensioners so that it can't go back too much or put manual one solve the problem ;-)

They told me w60 oil help too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
looks like I'll have to add aftermarket tensioners and shiftstar if I'm going back to the track. Just got track body for S1000rr so that might be my track bike next year.

I got the probe camera yesterday. it has a very slim head (8mm). I'll start probing if I have time tonight but definitely this weekend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Found my shim in the head, it is back in place undamaged, so aftermarket chain tensioners are the cure, is that correct?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I asked my new KTM trained workshop about the cam chain tensioners, this is what they said.

Renew every 10,000 kms and must be fitted correctly. He dislikes all the other options as he believes they create other problems.

I will try to get him to elaborate when I see him.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
can't find the shim it is not in the head. I use a strong magnet on the end of a long rod (used to hold roller lifters for quick cam changes on OHV V8) and a probe camera.

this is the exhaust valve in front cylinder left corner next to chain. there are two adjacent holes that leads in chain drive and down to the crank. I don't see how the engine could have survived if a solid steel shim gets wedged in the chain drive sprockets/gears....I rode the bike about 5 miles after the initial noise started albeit at a much reduced pace.

I'll order the stator cover puller & gasket so I can take a look below the chain drive gear.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Geezzz.... This is annoying.... Can we get manual adjusters from KTM..... That's not that big a deal.... When I was a young guy all adjusters were manual..... They should have left it that way......

·
Registered
6 Posts
So if this is cam chain tensioners causing shims to pop out all over the place at great expense to KTM (warranty) and people (no warranty) have KTM modified the tensioner in the 1290 Superduke or later RC8R's?

Have there been any notifications to dealers about this issue? The only thing I've heard is that KTM have said wrong Exhausts can cause this issue.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
finally got the tool and removed stator cover today. the cover requires the KTM puller and patience to remove cleanly.

within 10 minutes I found the shim. it was a little beat up but intact. I will post pics later.

things could have been alot worse had it gotten jammed into one of the gears in that cavity

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I was very fortunate shim did not get caught in any of the gears in that compartment. it did bounce around for a bit. you can see small marks on the stator drum.

ordered a shim pack as the right side valves have slightly excessive clearance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Thanks for the pics it is amazing that it didn't trash the motor. That shim is hardened steel and got beaten up pretty badly, whew!

·
Registered
420 Posts
finally got the tool and removed stator cover today. the cover requires the KTM puller and patience to remove cleanly.

within 10 minutes I found the shim. it was a little beat up but intact. I will post pics later.

things could have been alot worse had it gotten jammed into one of the gears in that cavity
Is the stator cover puller absolutely required? What is the part # and where did you get it from?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi
Stator cover puller isn't essential
I've pulled the cover a few times without.. As long as you are careful as the stator magnets are very strong and will snap the cover closed when putting it back on, but all is good ., also remember that you will probably find 3 thrust washers on the floor that drop off the shafts when the cover is pulled. All in all a very easy job
Giggity

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought I would add to this post and share my latest RC8 experience.
A loud ticking noise from the front cylinder was the symptom that caused me to search this forum for a similar problem. after reading several posts decided the first course of action was a valve clearance inspection which confirmed the cams needed to come out to investigate further. what I found was the left exhaust valve shim was missing and not in the head. Note: There is an oil return pathway in the head (right next to this valve) that is the right size for a shim to slip further into the engine (thru the cam chain tunnel). After carefully pulling the stator cover without any special tools discovered the shim in one piece above oil filter cartridge cover. What I don't understand is how the valve float occurred in the first place? This is a street bike with 1800 miles on it. Any input or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

21 - 40 of 44 Posts