KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Allegedmr2~ I use Maxima's Chain Wax Ultimate Chain Care Combo Kit. The degresear works well, the MPPL not only protects the chain but also is great for that squeaky door hinge and the wax goes on a bit thicker than normal lube but lasts longer. To me, the odor's a bit strong so open the garage door or do this work outside/vented area.

That said, the combination of these products works well and is cheaper in cost then similar products. Happy cleaning!

Combo Kit

Cleaned and Ready to Ride

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Asking questions like this is how wars are started.
...nah just kidding. It's just people have high maintenance for those that want to be correct. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion..mine is a humble question..this is my first motorcycle, I really appreciate the help.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allegedmr2~ I use Maxima's Chain Wax Ultimate Chain Care Combo Kit. The degresear works well, the MPPL not only protects the chain but also is great for that squeaky door hinge and the wax goes on a bit thicker than normal lube but lasts longer. To me, the odor's a bit strong so open the garage door or do this work outside/vented area.

That said, the combination of these products works well and is cheaper in cost then similar products. Happy cleaning!

Combo Kit

Thank you sir

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts

Combo Kit

Hehe...1290 with squeaky door hinges. Think I will stick with my 890r...no doors.😅

·
Registered
2016 690 Duke
28 Posts
Parts washer solvent or kerosene and a grunge brush for cleaning. Blow down with low pressure air.

Depending on which bike it is Bel Ray Super clean chain lube for primarily summer street time use or WD-40 for dirty environments or winter time use when the road grime is higher. Heavier chain lubes can tend to collect dirt especially if cleaning intervals are fewer. You end up spraying fresh lube on top of dirty lube and sealing in the dirt. Take the bike for a short ride to get the chain hot before applying thicker chain lubes too. The heat helps the lube soften up and flow to where it's needed.

Side note: I have a buddy that got almost 20k miles out of a chain and sprocket set on his R1 using just WD-40 as a lubricant. It sees street and track use.

So it cleans and lubes?
Any decent chain specific lube, or lubricant prevents rust by coating the metal to seal out moisture. Another way to prevent a chain from rusting if one isn't as consistent with cleaning/lubing is getting a gold or other colored chain. The color coating of the links typically don't rust easily. Most factory chains have a "natural" finish so if left to the elements they will rust faster.

Reactions: Allegedmr2

·
Registered
118 Posts
I HOPE i can eek 20k out of the chain on the ktm... i was lucky to ever get 10k on the FZ09 with regular adjustments/cleanings. Not sure what chewed them up so fast, but i use kerosene and bel ray super clean (lube)... If the ktm isn't any better at 10k a pop then I'll prob switch it up to something else cause surely it can't hurt.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My Procedure: I keep all solvents AWAY from my chains. Lube w/ AFT. My last ZRX1200 chain lasted over 30K miles and was still going strong. I wipe on the lube after 200 miles which cleans and lubes the chain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I HOPE i can eek 20k out of the chain on the ktm... i was lucky to ever get 10k on the FZ09 with regular adjustments/cleanings. Not sure what chewed them up so fast, but i use kerosene and bel ray super clean (lube)... If the ktm isn't any better at 10k a pop then I'll prob switch it up to something else cause surely it can't hurt.
Ditto on the FZ-09, my chains were lucky to see 10-12K miles. I did get about 30K out of a set that I used with a ScottOiler, but it makes the bike super oily behind the engine/swingarm area.

My 2019 SDR pulverized the OEM chain around 5-6K.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
:D...... I guess I'm a chain cleaner sceptic because I only use a spray oil chain lube, and I wipe the side plates with a rag from time to time.... not too OCD about it.

I use Castrol Chain Oil, have done for 45yrs and errrrr, a lot of miles and a lot of bikes.......

Typically, I get over 80,000kms out of good 'O' or 'X' ring chains. I could go much further but I prefer the smoothness of a new chain (and sprockets) to the vibes from an old chain and worn cogs.

I admit I'm a road rider (a good one, if I'm allowed to blow my own trumpet :D), not a m/x or track racer :D, though I hold my own in a group of fast riders, ride on gravel roads at times (up front so I stay out of everyone's dust), and travel long distances on day rides, weekenders, and 7-10 day interstate runs.

My 1290SDGT had 34k kms on it's original chain when I traded it in (silly me..... should've kept that one :(). The chain was like new and would have lasted well past 50-60k kms. The SDGT would pull nice wheelies across an intersection when the race flag was dropped, errrr, I mean lights went green,...... and yet I only had to adjust the slack 2-3 times in that distance. It had a DID top spec 525 chain.

There is a video on U-Tube (someone on here might have a link) - it was a detailed comparison of well known brands of chain lubes. It basically concluded that all a chain lube does is stop the side plates from rusting (and cut friction losses)...... preventing 'o' or 'x' ring damage, which keeps the pre packed grease inside the rollers ..... slowing the wear on the pins, reducing "stretching" and sprocket wear ............. you get the idea ;).

So there's no miracle chain lube, therefore don't spend a fortune on chain lubes, or 'cleaners'. My castrol lube costs only $14Au for a fat can that lasts a long time...... depends on how many rides I do. I keep the seals between the plates nicely lubed to reduce friction losses and wipe the excess off the side plates when needed.

Don't over lube the chain or it will make a mess on the rear rim. I usually spray it on at the end of the days riding so it dries on overnight.

Good luck with the OP's first bike experience (y) (I didn't see what sort of bike it was)......

PS - If anyone chooses to use a rag to wipe the sides of the chain, please stop the engine after lubing and wipe only by turning the wheel by hand..... I know some guys who have lost fingers (true! I've seen their stumps!) :eek:, ..... and be careful of being so clean that the chain actually rusts.

(y)

Reactions: Big Boy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts