KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Duke used about 2 months ago and have not been able to spend too much time with her.
But I've noticed the chain a little looser than I thought normal when sitting on the rear stand.
Upon checking it only just gets above the top mark on the indicator by a hair or two.
I don't have a spanner / hook wrench in my tool box for this.
Also I've never owned a bike with a single sided swingarm.
Can I do this adjustment by rotating the wheel by hand? OR some other tool used on the wheel?
This could be the most ignorant question ever but I've only ever had 4-cyl, full dbl sided swingarm bikes 600cc and smaller.
So I haven't tried the adjustment yet after watching it on the Tubes and I'm still learning...

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,867 Posts
I’m pretty sure you will need the wrench to adjust the eccentric. Did you get the tool kit with the bike?

if not, I’m sure you can find a suitable “hook” type wrench. Adjusting the chain is easier on a single sided swigarm than conventional bikes…

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can buy generic hook wrenches that will easily handle it. Probably a lot cheaper than trying to buy a factory tool kit.
Here is a random example I found on Ebay:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I got a stainless spanner for less than $20. 17mm socket on the lock nut. When the chain reaches "a hair over the top line" it's time to adjust it to "a hair over the bottom line".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts