KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new duke 250 is giving out this extra noise lately. It's some kind of a clicking noise that i hear when I go near the engine. I wonder what it is and where it's from. When I checked with the internet some have said that it could be the tappet sound or that the chain tensioner could have gone loose. It's a new bike, not even the first service has been done yet and I face this problem. It really hurts. Does anyone know what could be the possible reason and how to solve it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Even I am facing the same issue with my new Duke 250. I took it to the service centre, and after looking into the sound , the technician pointed out its coming from the tappet. However, he did not fix it citing that I should run 2k Kms more and post that he will fix it considering the engine is yet to open up completely. But I am not riding it much after that. As I am moving to a different city, I am planning to get it fixed there for sure.

The KTM service centres where I currently live are pathetic.

Can you share a video with the sound. It will help me compare with the sound coming from my engine.

Also, what rpms do you drive your bike in? As you have mentioned it hasn't gone for the first service yet, I hope you are doing a proper break in of the engine.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Hi guys,

If a cam chain tensioner ever lets go, you will know immediately, with out any doubt, as it makes a hell of a racket!

The ticking noises you are describing may just be normal engine noises......... as the break in oil gets degraded and thins out with heat from riding, it allows a few more noises to appear.

If these noises aren't super loud (it is hard to comment without a video and sound track) or really nasty sounding, they are likely to be normal noise's from a new engine slowly loosening up before the first service - at which time the service tech will check and adjust anything nescessary to make it run nice and quiet again.

PS Don't baby the break in by riding with too low an rpm and laboring the engine, keep it spinning nicely but don't over rev it either. All engine's need some wear to settle in their first 1000kms and your 250's, I suspect, need a lot more revs than my 1290 to get going ;).

(y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for replying. First service is over and I'm still getting the noise. When I told the mechanic at the service centre, without even trying to listen to it properly he said that it was normal and that the 390s will have more of the same sound. But I don't know, it keeps bothering me while riding the bike. The worst thing is I've started to get one more vibration kinda noise in the front especially in the low gears while giving throttle or while cutting down to lower gears. I'm not sure if it's from the number plate or the headlight or somewhere else. All this in a new bike keeps me really worried 😥 I rode it well within 7000rpm in the breaking in period. And not in rpms too low as well.
VID_20210102_213546.mp4
Unable to upload it directly as a video file here. So please use the drive link to view the video file.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Cheers rydersp,

That sounds very very normal to my ears........ singles are renown for that clunky struggling sound and the little jingly chatter is just the normal top end chatter - you should have heard the noises my Aprilia Caponord 1200 made from new back in 2015-2017 when I owned one for 2 years and 40,000kms from new.......... it used to cause other bike owners to stare at it when I rolled up ready for a ride........ but it never got worse and it was all normal for that bike.

In any case, you will have a new bike warranty period (?12 months?), so give it plenty of throttle and if it breaks, it is covered by KTM - but I'm certain it's making normal noises. The only truly silent engines are the well insulated 6 cyl Honda Gold Wings (but they weight over 400kg)....... every other bike makes some mechanical noise unless it is encased in a thick sound deadening fairing.

(y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My new duke 250 is giving out this extra noise lately. It's some kind of a clicking noise that i hear when I go near the engine. I wonder what it is and where it's from. When I checked with the internet some have said that it could be the tappet sound or that the chain tensioner could have gone loose. It's a new bike, not even the first service has been done yet and I face this problem. It really hurts. Does anyone know what could be the possible reason and how to solve it?
I Have the same damn issue on my 3 month old Duke 250, the service guys refuse to address it as a problem, I'm getting a bunch of vibrations as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Even I am facing the same issue with my new Duke 250. I took it to the service centre, and after looking into the sound , the technician pointed out its coming from the tappet. However, he did not fix it citing that I should run 2k Kms more and post that he will fix it considering the engine is yet to open up completely. But I am not riding it much after that. As I am moving to a different city, I am planning to get it fixed there for sure.

The KTM service centres where I currently live are pathetic.

Can you share a video with the sound. It will help me compare with the sound coming from my engine.

Also, what rpms do you drive your bike in? As you have mentioned it hasn't gone for the first service yet, I hope you are doing a proper break in of the engine.
did u get it resolved ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts