KTM Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was having a problem with slipper clutch and I pull the cover off and pressure plate off and removed the first two disc a steel plate and one friction plate clean them up , lubricated the plate re-installed and the inspected ramps on plates cleaned, lubricated and then reinstalled. Voila. The slipper clutch works.

Last week I was out riding and I can out of a turn rolling on the throttle and at around 8,000 rpm I felt the clutch slip. Just s little. I though back an said” probably never happen again . Wrong today same dam thing 2nd gear as it was pulling hard around 8,000 rpm it started slipping, this time very very noticeably.

So is it time for s new stack of clutch plates or should I get heavier springs? Keep in mind I am running 100 Ron map so I am guessing we’re pushing 180-185 plus hp. And it has to haul my dead *** at 270 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
7,269 Posts
The info i gleamed is from STM slippers, probably considered high end of market.
Both rc8 and 1290 need the stock plates to be a certain thickness for the stm slipper to work in its specs.
What it means is if your stock kit is worn you need to buy new cluth pack that offers 48.8mm ± 0.2mm to install with the stm slipper.

Ive swapped out STM to PACS and back again using the specs and nothing slips. ive got 3 packs of rc8/1290 clutch packs lying about, one kit with kevlar impregnated.
I didnt dig them out but i expect all of them to read in spec so i can use with a STM.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great ! This Confirmed my thinking after reading articles on it. So I’ll order a clutch pac kit. Thanks Corsa. Hopefully it will get here by the weekend. So I can get it changed. Next Wednesday I’m doing a long weekend ride with my best riding buddy hear in the Eastern US . We were going to pick a hotel in the middle of a hole in South West Virginia where there are s bunch of great roads and just ride for three days .

I was going to trailer down both my RC8R and my 2020 1290 SAS which has been heavily modified and is a monster . And just alternate riding them for three days . Twisties heaven in the mountains there. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Here is a quick video of the 1290 . It is sick.

Any hoot , thanks Corsa.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the clutch pack inn today . Could not wait so I did the switch out after dinner. Took it for a drive. The clutch pack is awesome. Smooth as butter, very linear engagement and not lurching. The slipper clutch engagement is functioning as well.

Thanks for all the input with this.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10 4

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did not take a measurement on the new clutch pack. The old one measured 47.01 mm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts