KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 KTM 150SX

Everything was working fine prior to any of this. Bike never sits more then 2 weeks. Bought brand new and less then 15 hours

The other day I installed new levers and went to see if it works and the clutch isn't working. I put the bike in gear and tried to push it. No go.

Pressure and everything is good but I bought magura blood and bled the clutch. Still not working.

I found a post here that had the same issue and didn't want to post on an old one. Their issue fixed itself and never figured out the issue.

I took the whole master cylinder apart and cleaned it up. Bled the clutch again and tried again. Still no go.
My last attempt for the day was to start the bike and put it into gear and let the clutch go to see if it works then. Sure enough it works. BUT it still doesn't move with the bike off with it in gear and clutch pulled. Will start in neutral WTF!!!

Tried that several times and nothing changed.

Anyone else heard of this?

·
Dirt Wizard
4,144 Posts
Does it feel like you have full pressure all the way with the lever?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the old lever and the clutch is fine. Pressure is good.
The clutch works BUT only when the bike is running. It will idle in gear with the clutch pulled. When I let it off the bike stalls.
When the bike is off, in gear and clutch pulled, the clutch will not engage to allow me to move the bike. If I put it in neutral it will move.

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
Some bikes will not move with the clutch pulled in while in gear.

My past Ducati and the current Husky are two of those that come to mind.
Have you changed the transmission oil to some heavier weight oil or
a different brand?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bajadog

Yup we have a brand new husky 85 and you're correct.

BUT my bike DID move while off, in gear and clutch pulled. Believe me I know, Riding trails up hill following someone and they get stuck.. I've had to jump off my bike and push it when its off, in gear and clutch pulled many times.

So I rode it around my yard a few minutes. I noticed that it gets easier to push when its off and clutch pulled in a higher gear. In first gear you can hear the pressure in the exhaust... forth gear it just moves as if in neutral.

Oil is changed every month.

I just rode the bike the week before and it was fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i fear your new lever install has dropped a part or its not installing correctly.
I didnt change the perch, just the lever.
The bike works normal if its on SO I know it works while its on. Just not while its off.

Im trying to figure out why is it doing this.

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
Just curious, have you tried with the bike hot.

I know my Berg would be hard to move while in a gear, in particular
on a cold morning.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,144 Posts
It still sounds like a clutch that needs a tiny bit more bleeding. Try pumping the lever about 20 times then hold it in and see then if it moves.
Baja is correct as well, I have had bikes that you can't push with the clutch in, in gear and not running.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 2002 KTM 250 EXC with a Magura clutch system. I have had clutch drag since I bought it. I've read that it is common in KTM's but not sure if they fixed it in the new models. My friend has clutch drag too in his older model. Not a big issue because If i know Im going to stop and put my feet down, I shift into neutral. The 400EX is just a little bit harder to push while in gear, but nothing close to the KTM. The only easy one to push while in gear is the CBR f4i.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious, have you tried with the bike hot.

I know my Berg would be hard to move while in a gear, in particular
on a cold morning.
Yeah I did. Still same thing. I live in Hawaii so it's never actually "cold".

I just remembered that the only other thing that was done was someone tightened the shifter for some reason. (shouldn't touch it if it aint broke) and since I took the bike outside and rode it for a bit I did notice a rattle that wasnt there and if it was, its louder now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It still sounds like a clutch that needs a tiny bit more bleeding. Try pumping the lever about 20 times then hold it in and see then if it moves.
Baja is correct as well, I have had bikes that you can't push with the clutch in, in gear and not running.
Ok track is open this weekend and I'm taking it up with me. Ill try that out.

Update you guys after the weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a couple people look at it and I did try and pump the clutch. Nothing whatsoever.

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
If it were me, I'd lay the bike on it's side and pull
the clutch cover and inspect.

Reactions: Nanz Irrelavant

·
Dirt Wizard
4,144 Posts
If it were me, I'd lay the bike on it's side and pull
the clutch cover and inspect.
+1 That's a good Idea. See how far the pressure plate is moving and whether the fibres are sticking to the metals. Plus check for grooves in the basket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hear ya Nanz, i just bought an 03 300 mxc with the same issue. The seller said and demo'ed that he could not engage 1st gear until the bike had warmed up. I haven't had time to deal with it and only ridden it a couple of times. Your description of your issue fits my experience exactly as I experienced it just today on a carb adjustment test drive. Yesterday on a test drive it seemed to work fine. I have one other possibly related issue: My clutch's friction point is way out at the end of the lever's travel. I want to adjust that closer in and wonder if it will affect the engagement issue. My clutch plates were replaced before I bought it. I have the old plates given to me by the seller. My point is it could be the plates haven't worn in.

rocksniffer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear ya Nanz, i just bought an 03 300 mxc with the same issue. The seller said and demo'ed that he could not engage 1st gear until the bike had warmed up. I haven't had time to deal with it and only ridden it a couple of times. Your description of your issue fits my experience exactly as I experienced it just today on a carb adjustment test drive. Yesterday on a test drive it seemed to work fine. I have one other possibly related issue: My clutch's friction point is way out at the end of the lever's travel. I want to adjust that closer in and wonder if it will affect the engagement issue. My clutch plates were replaced before I bought it. I have the old plates given to me by the seller. My point is it could be the plates haven't worn in.

rocksniffer
A friend said maybe the rod or ball. whatever that is, I didnt open it up yet, may be bent and due to vibration when the bike is on, that maybe the reason why it will move when its on but not off.

The other thing is my bike doesnt need to be warmed up to work properly when its running
It just doesnt move when its in gear and off clutch pulled.

No issues before and I did adjust the lever every which way and nothing. Ill look at it this weekend and let you guys know. Im going to try out what was said earlier and lay it down to check the plates and what not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A friend said maybe the rod or ball. whatever that is, I didnt open it up yet, may be bent and due to vibration when the bike is on, that maybe the reason why it will move when its on but not off.

The other thing is my bike doesnt need to be warmed up to work properly when its running
It just doesnt move when its in gear and off clutch pulled.

No issues before and I did adjust the lever every which way and nothing. Ill look at it this weekend and let you guys know. Im going to try out what was said earlier and lay it down to check the plates and what not.
Exactly what I’m dealing with on my 300 EXC
Changed the lever next thing I know only works when on... any luck with resolving yours?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The Magura uses hydraulic oil, the KTM ones use brake fluid. When new to this years ago I mixed them up... does not work!
We have had Magura clutches on a few of our bikes. On one I had same issues as you are having. I removed the push rod/pin from the master cylinder (on handlebar) and made one that is a few millimeters longer out of a stainless steel spoke of same thickness. Solved the drag issue!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts