KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a $150 gift card to RevZilla, and was thinking about a stand, since I have no way to oil the chain other than walking the bike with a buddy, or do a section at a time on my own.

I never used any stand before, on any bike. My concern is not knowing if this stand can be used by a single person (no help) to put the bike on and off of it?

Anyone has experience with this?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a $150 gift card to RevZilla, and was thinking about a stand, since I have no way to oil the chain other than walking the bike with a buddy, or do a section at a time on my own.

I never used any stand before, on any bike. My concern is not knowing if this stand can be used by a single person (no help) to put the bike on and off of it?

Anyone has experience with this?
Pit Bull & ABBA are great. You can set on the bike with the ABBA but, not recommended with a pitbull. If you are looking for something to just oil the chain then consider a Tirox Snapjack SS ( https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tirox-snapjack-ss ). Use mine when on trips. Best,

Doc:wink::wink:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pit Bull & ABBA are great. You can set on the bike with the ABBA but, not recommended with a pitbull. If you are looking for something to just oil the chain then consider a Tirox Snapjack SS ( https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tirox-snapjack-ss ). Use mine when on trips. Best,

Doc:wink::wink:
You're the second person to mention this ABBA one. I can't find much info on it. Their website has models for "superbike" stand, and specific model for the bmw K1300. I don't know which one would fit ours. Anyone knows?

·
Registered
220 Posts
You're the second person to mention this ABBA one. I can't find much info on it. Their website has models for "superbike" stand, and specific model for the bmw K1300. I don't know which one would fit ours. Anyone knows?
If you are looking for a bike stand that is like a center stand for the KTM SDGT you cannot go wrong with

ABBA Superbike Stand: https://abbastandsusa.com/product-detail.asp?item=superbike-stand&pid=1 , consider getting an extra set of fittings ( https://abbastandsusa.com/product-detail.asp?item=fitting-kits&pid=27 ).

Best,

Doc:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the ABBA and love it. Alas, your Revzilla coupon won't help you with ABBA. I'd use it for a snap-jack, then buy the ABBA direct.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That’s what I got.
Works great.
I actually got mine on Craigslist for $80. Guy had it for a Triumph Street Triple. But after a little research, realized the pin is the same size, so I bought it.

Yes, I lift it by myself easily and safely.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
That’s what I got.
Works great.
I actually got mine on Craigslist for $80. Guy had it for a Triumph Street Triple. But after a little research, realized the pin is the same size, so I bought it.

I have an SDR with this stand, I lift it by myself safely, but I would say it takes considerable effort. I recommend it, it works well.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have the Pit-Bull and a swingarm pivot stand. Both are very good. The Pit-Bull is much easier to use and fine for most things, chain lube, wheel removal. I've never had any issues sitting on the bike while on the stand. The pivot stand only comes out to service the rear suspension linkage or change a shock.

·
Registered
990 Posts
That’s what I got.
Works great.

I have one like that, also originally for a Speed Trip. Main difference is the upright is rectangular rather than tubular. I had to shorten mine by an inch because the arm was bending the upright. Also reinforced it so no bending possible. On mine, the arm can be attached either way, forward or rearward.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Might have already been mentioned, but, with the ABBA stand and optional arm, both wheels can be elevated at the same time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you are considering an Abba stand, then you should also consider a Bursig Central Lift stand. https://www.bursigusa.com/bursig-center-lift-stand-orange/

I own Pit-Bull, Abba, and Bursig stands. I use Pit-Bull front and rear stands at the track, but Bursig rules the shop/garage. It is far easier/faster to use than the Abba, which spends most of its time on the wall rack.

A bike on a Bursig on a table lift makes wrenching a joy.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yeah, the forward lever pit bull is way better than the KTM/copy, style single sided rear stand..... they require you hold the rear grab rail while you push down hard....... the pit bull lets you hold the handle bar. Maybe the coupon will cover a pit bull SS stand and a Snapjack SS prop stand....... :clap: Best of both worlds Home and travel covered.

Ps those skylifts are pricey but they have wheels so you can raise the bike off the floor and push it into a confined area for say, winter hybernation in a cramped garage space. There are several brands that do similar so google and oogle....

The ABBA Superbike stand uses an extended handle to lever the bike up just like a center stand on a normal touring bike..... but the ABBA has the front wheel attachment so you don't need to buy the KTM/copy type front stand.

It's worth having a good think about what you will use/do in future..... otherwise you'll end up with several stands worth hundreds each....... might be money well spent to go the $400 skylift for home maintenance and storage with a Snapjack for longer trips away.

:clap: (I started with front & rear KTM copy stands, then had to buy a ABBA clone Constand after heart surgery prevented me ever being able to use the rear KTM copy stand again - the front is super easy - and now I can use the Snapjack for chain mtce/adjustment anyway....... if only I had known..... >$700Au worth of stands and all I needed was a Skylift and the Snapjack....... live and learn eh :laugh2:.

And the Snapjack will fit into your luggage or under the seat (if you de-canister).....

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And the Snapjack will fit into your luggage or under the seat (if you de-canister).....
SOLD! I am unsure about the idea of bolting additional hardware to the bike for the ABBA, skylift, and the other one. For now, all I want to be able to do is adjust the chain and lube it. Ended up just getting the snap jack. That is pretty legit that you can fit it under the seat.

Question, so, if you de-cat ( I assume you did some full system setup), aren't you concerned about voiding the warranty (if you are still under it) ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a Skylift and Snapjack.

The Skylift is awesome and I don't see anything else out there that competes but pricy.

It's also a bit of a faff to mount the bike on it although you don't have to bolt anything to the bike.

The Snapjack is great but since you have to pull the pins out it's not as quick as using a paddock stand.... but it is portable.

·
Registered
744 Posts
SOLD! I am unsure about the idea of bolting additional hardware to the bike for the ABBA, skylift, and the other one. For now, all I want to be able to do is adjust the chain and lube it. Ended up just getting the snap jack. That is pretty legit that you can fit it under the seat.

Question, so, if you de-cat ( I assume you did some full system setup), aren't you concerned about voiding the warranty (if you are still under it) ?

Cheers Ho,

Not sure about your local warranty rules..... i doubt the canister removal would void warranty..... unless you fail to plug the vacuum lines into the throttle bodies.

As the Rotty video explains, it is only a system to capture excess fuel vapour (to pass more stringent emissions laws) so it has no effect on the engine..... except if the vacuum lines are left open to ingest dust into the intake bodies.

Note...... you DO NOT need a dongle for the canister removal....... my UK sourced dongle fried itself and caused weird warnings (but the bike always ran normally!). When the KTM tech checked it in his system he discovered the fault with the dongle and the solution was to install the original purge valve and with his approval, I can advise everyone that it is ok to do the same. Just be careful when re-routing the fuel overflow line made redundant by the missing canister - it will still need to vent to air in case of a fuel overflow from the tank neck...... I left the original fatter tube in place down to the gear lever area (and plugged) but I ended up using the longer hose (from the purge valve-canister) on the 'Y' piece so that I could route that as a breather down (away from the chain) beside the fatter plugged hose........ errrr.... if you are keen to do this I can take some better pics to help......:wink2:

Ps I haven't and I don't intend to de-cat my exhaust system, so I retain my SAS system. I only wanted more storage space under the seat and as per above..... all you need are 2 smooth shank bolts to plug the vacuum lines = zero $cost :clap:

My SDGT runs pretty cool anyway, but as I have bought the O2 dongles I'll install them soon and see what happens..... funny how being off the bike for over 12 months makes me notice things I had forgotten/never noticed, but I hadn't forgotten how much of a blast it is to ride this thing........ :grin2:

Just in case I've baffled you with BS, and made your head spin....... this is the purge valve going back in to replace that dongle that failed...... i put a couple of dust caps on but they were not required! Not sure if you can see my plugged vacuum lines hiding near the frame...... these are the ones the KTM guys use to balance the throttle bodies at service tune-up time. And the other pic is the fried resistor/dongle.....

PPs..... when the charcoal canister comes out, put a couple of washers in to replace the bracket otherwise your seat latch will be out of alignment.......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
DaveAu
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing