KTM Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my SDGT, I use Google Maps for my navigation, using waypoints to force the system to create the route I want, rather than the shortest route. But upon reaching a waypoint, I find that I am required to pull over, stop, remove gloves, and tap "Continue" before proceeding further. If I do not do this, navigation stops, and the app times out.

Is there a way to force Google Maps to automatically continue the route, so I don't have to stop and tap?

I have tried those "touchscreen-compatible" gloves, without success.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm afraid the short answer is no. Google Maps treats these intermediate points as stops, not waypoints. If you are a coder there appear to be some kludgy programs you can create to "auto-tap" the continue button, but those are well beyond me. Google could solve this by implementing voice commands for this and my other pet peeve - its insistence on finding a faster route and forcing me to accept it. Still, I prefer Maps over others I have tried. Rever (as of a couple of years ago) did not handle on the fly deviations from the route, and Waze is too comic-bookish though I use it in the city to warn me of speed cameras.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Try the co-pilot app, I paid a tiny sum for it years ago. They have never asked me for more money but it's so good I would pay again. It's infinitely variable and saves your changed routes ... love it.
Better than Garmin - we use both, this is superior for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’ve been using “shock horror” the KTM navigation app. I can create waypoints all I like and it just follows them, Everyone was saying it was crap, but I actually really like it. Here’s what I like about it:
1. Off-line maps (twisties with no cell service), I’m new to the area, so pre-planning my ride out, it’s already told me when I missed a turn!
2. The ability to save “good twisty riding routes” before hand and have a selection.
3. Integration to bike dash. I leave my phone in my pocket, and don’t wear headphones, so good to have the dash to glance at maybe 3 times in a ride out. (When am I turning off this road? 4 miles away, fine great... DOH missed the turning.)

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm afraid @Sierra is correct. As far as I can tell, there is no way to set the route to "auto-continue" when a waypoint is reached. At least, that is the case using the now-current version of Google Maps. I do not believe this has always been the case, as I fairly recently (last summer?) first began noticing it.

I still use GM, regardless, since it runs off-line on any of my old phones. If it had auto-continue, it would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
By "waypoints" I assume you mean route intersections and changes and/or dropped points? I do a lot of loop mapping and I understand the reluctance the app has for non-shortest routes, but don't recall any issue with getting the route to continue on it's own. I use cities and towns as destinations. Can't remember having to punch the button repeatedly. I know it goes nuts when you pull off for fuel or eats and leave the appointed route, but it always seems to straighten out once I get on my way.

Since I used paper maps for years before GPS became widely popular, I always carry those, and I also write my route changes and distances on a sheet of paper to glance down at. Once, coming home from Daytona, some fellow two-wheeled travelers laughed at the paper map atop my tank bag. I had already unclipped the phone, so I told then (gross exaggeration) that I had been that way a few times previously and sort of knew my way. Probably made that round trip more than a dozen times by car and bike. When was younger, I'd plot a route to go somewhere, write it down and never look at it again as I traveled to my destination. Old age has forced me to go belt-and-suspenders on phone GPS.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I assume to do things like this? Using the KTM app...

These are all saved in the KTM app, in advance, like this:

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thanks for your thoughtful input. But please note that I do not have the KTM app; my KTM is a 2016 model, which does not do apps. It has no integrated screen, no Bluetooth, and no wireless fob. It operates with an old fashioned key. Anyhow, I also have two other bikes, an '09 KLR (my favorite), and a '13 DRZ400. Consequently, I can easily use old cell phones with Google Maps for navigation on all my bikes. I download maps for offline use ahead of time, thus no cell service or signal is required.

The only issue I need to solve is GM's frustrating requirement to press "Continue" when a waypoint is reached. Failure to do so results in GM timing out, and loss of navigation altogether.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got it, sorry.

I don’t think you can change the default behaviour from within google maps, and I’m sorry I don’t know of a 3rd party app that would make it move on automatically either.

Here’s a low cost option? 😆

1 - 9 of 9 Posts