KTM Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2015 rc8 and i been leaking coolant after long rides. After a long ride I let the bike sit for 30 mins; go back and there would be a puddle of coolant under the bike and the compensating tank would be empty. I brought it to the dealership and they said there is no cracks in radiator. They also told me that the radiator is full and it was "strange" that this happened. That same day I picked it up and brought it home I let the bike sit again 15 mins later it started to leak heavy from the right side fairing. I took some pics and video.

Before I take the bike apart, has this happen to anyone else or has any idea what it could be?

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here is a shot of my radiator cap. Basically put a hose clamp around the radiator cap and then safety wired to a tab on the frame with a hole I could run the wire through. I don't have the clamp too tight; just enough to keep the cap from coming loose. You also need to watch the breather tube on top of the cap as that can get knocked loose as well. Not a great design for what is otherwise a well built motorbike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the pic man. I'll give it a whirl. I also noticed my coolant reservoir cap also gets loose. Maybe safety wiring the radiator cap will solve that also. Have you noticed leakage from the coolant tank cap as well?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought I had mine solved where it was just leaking at the tank cap but after a hard ride today I see some on the lower faring. Gonna have to take a look at the rad cap this weekend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You know I had the same issue you were having and to say I was displeased since I encountered it with 1500 miles on the bike, was an understatement. I spoke to the dealership and he said to check the cap before I got too excited. Sure enough the cap was about 2 turns loose.

Same deal, I would ride it and it was fine. Let it sit for 30 minutes and a small pile of coolant below the bike. Tighten the cap up good and make sure you take a hose and clean out the inside of your fairing really good. I thought mine was still leaking until I cleaned the fairing and drew a pencil line on the reservoir so I could check it every day.

I am going to put a hose clamp and safety wire mine as suggested also. When I went into the dealer to buy more coolant the guy told me he has a super duke and he has to tighten his every 1,000 miles and sometimes 800 miles. He said he tried using thread lock but that didn’t work so now he just checks it all of the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts