KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added cruise to their 890? Was it just unlocked in the software or did you have to add any physical control module for the handlebar or any other hardware in addition to just the unlock of the software?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone added cruise to their 890? Was it just unlocked in the software or did you have to add any physical control module for the handlebar or any other hardware in addition to just the unlock of the software?
Added to mine at first service, there is a different multifunction switch unit that has the button for the cruise.

So there is a physical install plus the software component.

I really like it for resting my wrist on boring stretches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. Do you mind saying how much it cost for everything?
I had a bunch of stuff done at the same time (first service, tech pack loaded, cruise installed) and it was $800. Not sure exactly how much the cruise part was.

I think the switch is $80ish bucks and the SW is $250. Plus probably an hour of labor?

So not cheap. But it's very well integrated and does the job.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that is very helpful. I absolutely need cruise for the reasons you mentioned earlier as well as keeping my speed under control on the longer rides. I have a tendency to keep twisting the throttle on the highway and soon I am up in the licensing losing speeds. So I just set it about 7-9 over and I am good for almost all the highways here.

How accurate is the speedo?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, that is very helpful. I absolutely need cruise for the reasons you mentioned earlier as well as keeping my speed under control on the longer rides. I have a tendency to keep twisting the throttle on the highway and soon I am up in the licensing losing speeds. So I just set it about 7-9 over and I am good for almost all the highways here.

How accurate is the speedo?
Haven't checked but seems to read a bit high like most bikes

·
Registered
Current 2019 SDGT Gone: 790 Adv R, 890 Duke R, 690 Enduro R
84 Posts
The speedometer on my 2020 790 ADV R runs about 4 mph high when I gauge it against my Garmin
Montana that is mounted over the TFT display.

·
Registered
Current 2019 SDGT Gone: 790 Adv R, 890 Duke R, 690 Enduro R
84 Posts
I installed the CC handlebar switch on my 890. Much easier than it was on the 790R. I also added Roxrisers (p/n 3R-P2PPLK in black) while I had the cables and wiring bundles loose. 1.75" rise for a much more civilized ergonomic position (I will be 62 this month and not planning on taking this thing to the track). Finished it off with the smoked KTM flyscreen to tidy up the junction between the headlight and TFT display. Now if only my Yosh muffler will get here so I can install that tail tidy....

·
Registered
5 Posts
$85 for the combination switch (minus discount on parts from purchasing dealer) and 1.5 hours labor for the installation of the switch and software download.

Excellent cruise control. Has not only larger armed (amber), engaged (green) icons but also a separate smaller icon showing the set speed. When cruise is engaged, if you hold the throttle open, the smaller icon starts to flash and if held open (as an example for a pass) for longer than 30 seconds, the cruise will revert to armed. While the cruise is engaged, for every bump of the accel/decel, it will change set speed by 1 mph. If you hold in the accel/decel for a few seconds, will change speed to a 5 mph increment, eg 70, 75 etc... Pretty sophisticated for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was well worth the money to me and pretty sophisticated and intuitive. I think cruise is pretty much mandatory on most bigger bikes. How easily they can gain or lose speed makes it essential for me to keep my license when on longer trips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed the CC handlebar switch on my 890. Much easier than it was on the 790R. I also added Roxrisers (p/n 3R-P2PPLK in black) while I had the cables and wiring bundles loose. 1.75" rise for a much more civilized ergonomic position (I will be 62 this month and not planning on taking this thing to the track). Finished it off with the smoked KTM flyscreen to tidy up the junction between the headlight and TFT display. Now if only my Yosh muffler will get here so I can install that tail tidy....
PICS please

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't heard but it might be worth saving up for the 890 depending on what your priorities are. Then again the left over 790's can be had dirt cheap, Maybe could find and aftermarket cruise that would work. Maybe Mccruise has one for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pics please.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is the first motorcycle I have ever owned with cruise control. I must say it is a game changer. If you are cruising on the road it makes life so much easier. I went for a 3 hour ride yesterday morning and used it for the first time. Very simple to use.

If you do not have it, I would recommend to everyone unless you exclusively do track days.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It has saved me from so many tickets, not to mention reduced fatigue, that I probably won't buy another bike without it. It may sound crazy but it was one of the reasons I passed on buying another Ducati. The model I wanted didn't even offer cruise control and it was like 25k. If it was a track ONLY bike I could see it, but it was supposed to be a streetbike.

I literally would have lost my license a long time ago if I didn't have cruise on my bikes, especially the faster ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have added the physical control module and software update and it was worth it . I take long rides with friends from Sweden to Finland or Norway

1 - 20 of 29 Posts