KTM Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a 2014 Aprilia Tuono. I like it at first, but then the bike had electrical issues. Replace the stator once and regulator/rectifier twice. I sold it and went back to KTM. I will never own another Aprilia again, never!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2013 RSV4 wasn't as unreliable as everyone is saying and as I was expecting it to be when I got it, but I was ready for less reliability than let's say a Jap inline 4, that's what you get for wanting a more exotic bike. Don't tell the SDR is bulletproof either. The one thing I will agree the dealer network for Aprilia needs massive improvement but I think at least up here in Canada it is slowly getting better. I have found dealer in places I would have not expect but there is still entire provinces without dealer support so still need lots of improvement. Anyway my point is the reliability thing isn't worst than any other exotic like Ducati, KTM etc. to me and not enough of a concern to keep me from having another Aprilia on my list for the next one which is still SDR or Tuono the biggest thing that will influence my choice is comfort for the passenger

·
Registered
75 Posts
Only my opinion... and after just over 1Mil km on all sorts / makes / brands of bikes and 66 years old I can now be branded as a has been... However good the Aprilia is I just fail to see it as a naked bike! What is naked about this bike? Is the R1 then naked too? Why not?

I am happy with my 2019 SDR, especially for the price I paid (got the TPack & PPack with QS free). So far it is very satisfying to ride and I very much like the egros (I'm tall). Dealership is 110km from me and well established. Services seems reasonable too.

The 2020 SDR is (should be) the last of the SDR V twins... The V4 is here 2022 latest. I saw an interview with KTM CEO very recently and when directly questioned about the possibility of a V4 SDR, his body language said it all. He replied that "we already have the V4 in the Moto GP". Regards

·
Registered
75 Posts
I mostly ride open road (120 - 130 km/h) and do a lot of "playing" in the mountains. I usually get 18 - 21 km/l which in my books is very good! I usually refill around the 300km mark (with 2 blocks indicated on the fuel gauge) so roughly calculated never less than 190 miles on a full tank...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Comfort is entirely subjective.

I ditched my 2017 Tuono Factory for my 2018 SDR for a bunch of reasons.

I didn't trust the Aprilia at all and the dealer network here in South Florida is horrific.

The lack of a fuel gauge was ridiculous on a 2017 model year bike.

The 90 miles to the tank was also ridiculous.

The horrid control layout and interface was ridiculous.

The dash was just plain ****. I will say that I did very much enjoy the adjust-ability of all of the APRC features but playing with that stupid twitchy joystick was maddening.

Between the two bikes I find that the SDR does everything that the Aprilia does to about 99% of what the Aprilia is. The chassis and suspension is "better" on the Aprilia but for street riding they're about equal if we are being honest with each other.

For me, the Ergo's on the SDR are better as I found the Tuono to be a little too "aggressive" for a naked, "upright".

To each their own. I contend that the V4 is THE best engine out there and I too am eye balling a 2020 Streetfighter when they're released. I really want back on a Ducati and a V4 Ducati is even more enticing.
I remember your woes from the Apriliaforum, Magsz. The problem for me was the inconsistency. I had well-documented my issues, which I sorted for the next owner (whom to this day still texts me to say how much fun he's having on it.....prick lol) but for me, I chose to sell because I felt like I never knew what was "going to be next".

As it turns out...apparently nothing and I sorted it for for him. But still....

For the mileage thing, I even went as far as to get a tank from a newer model that had the increased capacity (my bike was a 2013, so YOUR tank was a blessing to me). I got around 100 per tank, even with the Gabro-flash and all the stuff I did...wonder why yours was so low?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Owned a 2013 APRC 1000cc model and loved it but didnt cover too many miles due to busy work at the time. It was a perfect road bike for me and the V4 engine was a dream. I've never been a fan of 4 cylinders and was worried the engine would be characterless but boy I was wrong! Throttle fully pinned with the quickshifter and an Austin Racing can made a glorious sound. Never had any issues with it but the dealer network is patchy. Everything on the bike screamed quality and was well engineered. Eventually got rid due to a marriage breakup, house move and needing the money in the bank. Bought an older V2 Tuono instead that I've been fighting with to get back on the road. It's stubborn!

Was in the market for a new toy late last year and some great deals on new 2019 pre-reg. Was a toss up between a Tuono V4 Factory and 1290 SDR and thought long and hard about it. Went for the SDR in the end! Mainly as it was 2k cheaper and I couldn't get over that "had one before" feeling about the Tuono. Also I feel its due an update and didnt get my blood going the way the KTM did. First impressions of the SDR is its more agricultural and less refined than the Aprilia but thats no bad thing. One thing I do miss is the awesome electronics package on the Tuono. Being able to change traction control on the fly is great with simple + - buttons on the bars. The KTM system just feels clunky in comparison and I really hate this "pack" rubbish where I have to pay extra to buy "unlock" stuff thats already there!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I totally agree with what you are saying. Mine is a 2013 as well same experience and the reason I am looking at the SDR is exactly the same as you, to try something different and like my wife is saying going from the RSV4 to a Tuono for her would be switching for the same bike.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Buy a leftover
interesting cause I curently own a rsv4r and I am looking to get back on a naked bike for the more upright position. My 2 main choices that I cant decide on are a tuono 1100rr or a sdr left over 2.0 or a 3.0 not sure yet if the extra money is really worth it

·
Registered
325 Posts
Owned a 2013 APRC 1000cc model and loved it but didnt cover too many miles due to busy work at the time. It was a perfect road bike for me and the V4 engine was a dream. I've never been a fan of 4 cylinders and was worried the engine would be characterless but boy I was wrong! Throttle fully pinned with the quickshifter and an Austin Racing can made a glorious sound. Never had any issues with it but the dealer network is patchy. Everything on the bike screamed quality and was well engineered. Eventually got rid due to a marriage breakup, house move and needing the money in the bank. Bought an older V2 Tuono instead that I've been fighting with to get back on the road. It's stubborn!

Was in the market for a new toy late last year and some great deals on new 2019 pre-reg. Was a toss up between a Tuono V4 Factory and 1290 SDR and thought long and hard about it. Went for the SDR in the end! Mainly as it was 2k cheaper and I couldn't get over that "had one before" feeling about the Tuono. Also I feel its due an update and didnt get my blood going the way the KTM did. First impressions of the SDR is its more agricultural and less refined than the Aprilia but thats no bad thing. One thing I do miss is the awesome electronics package on the Tuono. Being able to change traction control on the fly is great with simple + - buttons on the bars. The KTM system just feels clunky in comparison and I really hate this "pack" rubbish where I have to pay extra to buy "unlock" stuff thats already there!
What's wrong with your Tuono?

·
Registered
8 Posts
What's wrong with your Tuono?
Are you sure you want to know??? :)

To be honest it was mixture of the bikes fault and mine! As I have a bad habit of taking things apart, getting carried away buying bits and then not having time to rebuild. It was a cheap eBay blind buy and the previous owner must've loved off roading down gravel paths. The entire front end was covered in stone chips, so replacement headlight, mudguard and front fairing (carbon) went on. The exhaust headers were badly corroded so managed to pick up some Arrows stainless headers cheap.

Then I noticed one of the front fork pinch bolts had been snapped off and the head glued back in (seriously). So forks off and had to retap the thread. Then I went to service the rear suspension linkage (known weak point on V2 Tuono) and it had rusted solid, I mean SOLID. I've seen lots of pics of snapped dogbones and collapsed rear suspensions. I dont think this one had ever been greased since it left the factory! So replaced all that with new parts but put on an Ohlins shock to make me happy.

The back brake was non-existent so ended up putting on the RSV4 upgrade adjustable rearsets and the master cylinder. Another weird problem with these is they have a horizontal master cylinder under the engine, so the back brake never works properly. So now its properly mounted vertical and brake works.

Then the fuel tank had expanded due to ethanol (front was touching the yokes) so managed to pickup a great deal on a brand new tank and pump. Did the oil, filters and spark plugs while it was all apart. Finally added Brembo M4 monobloc calipers and SC project exhausts and all ready to go!

First test ride the front brakes would seize on after approx 6 miles when hot. Luckily I felt it binding on so pulled over before it got nasty (read a few stories about the ASV levers, so was looking out for it). Couldnt even move the bike until they had cooled down. Thought it might've been the ASV brake lever (pin too long pushing on the cylinder piston), so replaced that and same problem. Tightened up all the lines, bled repeatedly and every six miles same thing. Eventually traced to a leaking front master cylinder that Brembo wont sell the rebuild kits for (legal reasons I guess). So put on a Brembo RCS that fixed the problem and same price as standard.

Everything then worked! Then after a 30 mile test ride I parked up and next morning noticed oil under the bike. Finally traced to a leaking oil tank and Aprilia new price was scary. Managed to source one new from the USA for 1/2 price but took 2 months to get and biking season was pretty much done for 2019. I supposed I could've taken the tank off and taken it to a welders but I was sick of it by then.

Hence the reason for the new leftover 2019 Superduke! Tired of spending all my time in the garage and not out on the road. The Aprilia is still in the garage and now I feel guilty that its all fixed up and ready to ride. Plan is to sell it but I might put some miles on it first. If it doesnt break down again!

·
Registered
39 Posts
May I ask what you're getting from your SDR?
230-250 depending on how i'm riding. I absolutely love being able to ride all day and only have to fill up once. My multistrada also got me around the same mileage. To this day i'm finding it hard to justify buying a bike that cant do at least 180 miles on a tank.

I remember your woes from the Apriliaforum, Magsz. The problem for me was the inconsistency. I had well-documented my issues, which I sorted for the next owner (whom to this day still texts me to say how much fun he's having on it.....prick lol) but for me, I chose to sell because I felt like I never knew what was "going to be next".

As it turns out...apparently nothing and I sorted it for for him. But still....

For the mileage thing, I even went as far as to get a tank from a newer model that had the increased capacity (my bike was a 2013, so YOUR tank was a blessing to me). I got around 100 per tank, even with the Gabro-flash and all the stuff I did...wonder why yours was so low?
I'm not sure bud. I had the open flash tune on mine and while it ran marvelously, the gas mileage was just pure crap. Admittedly, I never ran the tank dry so I very easily probably could have eeked out 100 miles or a little bit more but when that light came on, I was always around 90 miles. Sooooooooooo bad. It made riding the bike for a day of fun a hassle as I was always stopping off at gas stations to fill up lol.

I remember my buddies and I went up to Orlando one weekend. We did a round trip in one day just to ride. I filled up FIVE times that day......What an annoyance.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Are you sure you want to know??? :)

To be honest it was mixture of the bikes fault and mine! As I have a bad habit of taking things apart, getting carried away buying bits and then not having time to rebuild. It was a cheap eBay blind buy and the previous owner must've loved off roading down gravel paths. The entire front end was covered in stone chips, so replacement headlight, mudguard and front fairing (carbon) went on. The exhaust headers were badly corroded so managed to pick up some Arrows stainless headers cheap.

Then I noticed one of the front fork pinch bolts had been snapped off and the head glued back in (seriously). So forks off and had to retap the thread. Then I went to service the rear suspension linkage (known weak point on V2 Tuono) and it had rusted solid, I mean SOLID. I've seen lots of pics of snapped dogbones and collapsed rear suspensions. I dont think this one had ever been greased since it left the factory! So replaced all that with new parts but put on an Ohlins shock to make me happy.

The back brake was non-existent so ended up putting on the RSV4 upgrade adjustable rearsets and the master cylinder. Another weird problem with these is they have a horizontal master cylinder under the engine, so the back brake never works properly. So now its properly mounted vertical and brake works.

Then the fuel tank had expanded due to ethanol (front was touching the yokes) so managed to pickup a great deal on a brand new tank and pump. Did the oil, filters and spark plugs while it was all apart. Finally added Brembo M4 monobloc calipers and SC project exhausts and all ready to go!

First test ride the front brakes would seize on after approx 6 miles when hot. Luckily I felt it binding on so pulled over before it got nasty (read a few stories about the ASV levers, so was looking out for it). Couldnt even move the bike until they had cooled down. Thought it might've been the ASV brake lever (pin too long pushing on the cylinder piston), so replaced that and same problem. Tightened up all the lines, bled repeatedly and every six miles same thing. Eventually traced to a leaking front master cylinder that Brembo wont sell the rebuild kits for (legal reasons I guess). So put on a Brembo RCS that fixed the problem and same price as standard.

Everything then worked! Then after a 30 mile test ride I parked up and next morning noticed oil under the bike. Finally traced to a leaking oil tank and Aprilia new price was scary. Managed to source one new from the USA for 1/2 price but took 2 months to get and biking season was pretty much done for 2019. I supposed I could've taken the tank off and taken it to a welders but I was sick of it by then.

Hence the reason for the new leftover 2019 Superduke! Tired of spending all my time in the garage and not out on the road. The Aprilia is still in the garage and now I feel guilty that its all fixed up and ready to ride. Plan is to sell it but I might put some miles on it first. If it doesnt break down again!
Except for the bolts being glued back on and the brake caliper problems we could have been separated at birth! I went through most of what you have. As for Brembo master cylinders, I know a guy who can fix most things mechanical. He won't touch a Brembo master cylinder! I put on an RCS as well. They're fab! The roller bearings in the shock linkage get quite rusted up don't they? I use to pull the shock linkage yearly, clean it all out, and grease it up again. Waterproof grease with a little moly grease mixed in was my secret weapon. I could have done it biannually but I rode in the rain a lot so it seemed like it should be well taken care of. BTW- Ohlins makes me happy as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They are certainty a labour of love! I once read "there's nothing more expensive that a cheap Italian motorcycle" and it's true. I dont think I would buy another old Aprilia off ebay again. They really need to be looked after and sadly once their value reaches a certain level, the owners just run them into the ground. At least when I get some miles on the Tuono and then finally sell her on, I'll know the new owner is getting a good one. I might have to question them on their intentions before I let anyone near her! :)

The Ohlins was the only thing that almost made me chose the V4 Tuono over the 1290 SDR. Bing! Sadly on lockdown now, so old Tuono and new Superduke sat in the garage. Still hardly seems important right now.

·
Registered
325 Posts
They are certainty a labour of love! I once read "there's nothing more expensive that a cheap Italian motorcycle" and it's true. I dont think I would buy another old Aprilia off ebay again. They really need to be looked after and sadly once their value reaches a certain level, the owners just run them into the ground. At least when I get some miles on the Tuono and then finally sell her on, I'll know the new owner is getting a good one. I might have to question them on their intentions before I let anyone near her! :)

The Ohlins was the only thing that almost made me chose the V4 Tuono over the 1290 SDR. Bing! Sadly on lockdown now, so old Tuono and new Superduke sat in the garage. Still hardly seems important right now.
Yep. In the grand scale of things, motorbikes hardly seem important now... I hear you man. FWIW, I dealt with the "character" of my Aprilia and once it gets sorted I have found them to be pretty rock solid as long as you have a good battery in them. I did have my friend bring back my Tuono yesterday. He wanted to give it to a friend who had his house burn down but it didn't go through. It has sat for the last year. He didn't even drain the fuel tank... We'll see how much I still like Tuonos after I get it running, or if I get it running. I bet the moral lesson is don't let a motorcycle sit for over a year!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I owned an RSV4 and loved it. Had a Leo Vince megaphone slip and sounded glorious. It’s was not the most powerful or best handling bike I‘ve ever owned but it did all things very well. Superb balance would be my one liner on that machine. For perspective, the bike prior was a 2012 R1 and bike following was a 1199S Tricolore.

This is my first KTM go-around in any form and I am looking forward to the relaxed riding position and wide spread of torque. My days of leaning/hunching over are finished. I picked up a 2015 1290 R SuperDuke that the owner took very good care of and added lots of goodies- full Akra headers with Austin GP slip-on etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
interesting cause I curently own a rsv4r and I am looking to get back on a naked bike for the more upright position. My 2 main choices that I cant decide on are a tuono 1100rr or a sdr left over 2.0 or a 3.0 not sure yet if the extra money is really worth it
I am with you there. I did look into a leftover 2019 and there were some 17’s fairly local as well. I just couldn’t justify the price of a new bike nor the premium for the 17-18 models.

The new Ducati Streetfighter looks amazing, but I simply cannot bring myself to pay almost $25k for the bike and that doesn’t include the inevitable(for me) modding that will take place. I’m trying for once in my life to be smart with money as it relates to my hobbies...

I do not need all the rider controls anymore as I simply go ouT for a few hours at night or on the weekend to hit the hills and enjoy myself. The torque and rider comfort were all I was looking for. The 2015 fit the bill perfectly. It only has 8k miles and all the service records were meticulous. For $9k it seemed a bargain to me, especially with the roughly $4k in accessories the original owner added. Bike is SUPER clean!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts