KTM Forums banner

1201 - 1220 of 1241 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
:cool:(y) Very nice ride you have, I have a 2018 690 Duke and as of yesterday I have 4300 miles on her and rear tire is getting down there on tread, go over your bike and use blue lock tight on all the bolts as alot of mine were not very tight and no lock tight on most,axels were dry of grease also, congrats on the new bike and enjoy, I have to ask about the Tracer cause I still like them but have 3 bikes now so I'm content for now,what did you not like about it?I had a 2014 Fzo9 back then and traded on a Versy 1000, liked them both, still have the Versy...

·
Super Moderator
2,702 Posts
Cleaned up the arse end of the bike by removing the huge shovel that the factory attaches on the bike.
The silver bits that stick out will be black to blend in more.
Can you find the indicators in the picture ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new orange machine! What didn't you like about the 09? Or was it just tired and needed a change?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi there fellow bike nuts !
Ive been riding over 30 years so had an array of bikes from the 80s to now,the tracer was a great bike but the main reason for getting rid was weight related . I got it mainly so the wife had a good pillion ride but then she went and got her own bike. ,but i digress am getting on in years (55) and was just fed up with the tracer felt like i was going to drop it at every junction ,combine that with a jerky clutch and for me it was a accident waiting to happen..
katie m feels light very flickable and has ample power for hooning around the back roads ( not that i can go out on her COVID to thank) am loving the torque this bike produces, esp when playing hunt the tin boxes and she picks up the front nicely !! also shes a doddle to service ,even valve checks are easy only one cylinder eh
So far only got rad guard on but tail tidys next then R&G crash protection ,might try new bars as these seem set at a odd angle..Anyway STAY SAFE EVERYONE ... Dave
ps my other bike is a gpz500s a 1998 model 22 years old this month

·
Super Moderator
2,702 Posts
What he said.
But what now ?
KTM does not make the Duke 690 anymore.
The Husqvarna Vitpilen looks like fun but the riding position on the Duke 690 is a big deal for me
The SMC-R is fun but way less comfortable.
So after 3 Duke 690 (R) in a row I'll have to get a Duke 890R next.
Screenshot_20200401-220814_YouTube.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
What he said.
But what now ?
KTM does not make the Duke 690 anymore.
The Husqvarna Vitpilen looks like fun but the riding position on the Duke 690 is a big deal for me
The SMC-R is fun but way less comfortable.
So after 3 Duke 690 (R) in a row I'll have to get a Duke 890R next. View attachment 95083
I'll be curious as to how that goes. Once the novelty of the QS and blipper wore off, I soon got a bit 'meh' with the 790. Far more sporty/cramped riding position, less flickable than the 690, more weight overall,
Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic bikes, but ... Well, i don't own it any more :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'll be curious as to how that goes. Once the novelty of the QS and blipper wore off, I soon got a bit 'meh' with the 790. Far more sporty/cramped riding position, less flickable than the 690, more weight overall,
Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic bikes, but ... Well, i don't own it any more :)
Different handlebars, drop the forks to get the front-end light like a 690 maybe.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,702 Posts
  • I had high expectations and hopes for the Duke 790.
  • Basically I wanted a Duke 690 type light weight tool with the Husqvarna Nuda 900 engine.
  • Prototype looked awesome.
  • The actual bike...
  • Too heavy and down on torque.
  • Also the budget suspension and mediocre brakes failed to impress.
  • The 890R is much more like the bike the 790 should have been.
  • I love my Duke 690 R.
  • The only thing I'd want is bit more power and pull for track days and those few spirited rides with friends and Cannonball Bike Runs.
  • I'm 6'5 and the riding position is definitely not cramped on the 790 or 890 so bit surprised you'd think so.
  • A newbike is not in the budget this year thou and this Covid shut down definitely does not help
  • So I'll get to put more miles on the 690 R

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
  • I'm 6'5 and the riding position is definitely not cramped on the 790 or 890 so bit surprised you'd think so.
It wasn't cramped, but the legs and pegs are tighter than the 690. The 690R i felt was too high compared to the stock 690 myself. That's why i went back from R footrests to standard on a previous 690 and the reason i didn't go for a very low mile 690R a few months ago.

·
Super Moderator
2,702 Posts
Maybe my knees don't bend as well as yours. But the 690R pegs are set too high and too far back for me.
Personal tastes and aches.
My left knee is pretty messed up.
There us no way I'd ne comfy on a sports bike anymore but the KTM Duke series 690, 790, 890, 1290 all seam really comfy for me.
The 1290 SDR actually has the most relaxed ergonomics of all of them.
Even the Triumph Street Trople 765 RS would' be fine thou that is a bit more tight fit for the knee angle.

On the D690R I toe scrape all the time on track so lower foot pegs wouldn't be an option.
The MG Biketech rear sets look quite nice.
I may give those a go on my R next.

1201 - 1220 of 1241 Posts