KTM Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrade, update, whatever. I used the term for the software changes I get on the phone with alarming regularity. The ECU will be hooked to the computer while he checks the valve clearances, so no extra time is involved.

I understand they have to charge something if you bring it in just for that.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Upgrade, update, whatever. I used the term for the software changes I get on the phone with alarming regularity. The ECU will be hooked to the computer while he checks the valve clearances, so no extra time is involved.

I understand they have to charge something if you bring it in just for that.

Cheers hammer........ what i wrote is fact - you'll find out soon enough anyway...... and the terms 'upgrade' and 'update' may mean the same to you/us but have different meanings to the dealership staff/KTM system users.

My guys said to me that my SDGT 'has had all it's updates' and that no new 'updates' were visible on the system for my bike. I told them this was an ECU UPGRADE offered by KTM and that they should call KTM Aus if unsure. I also said in passing that 'I want it now before my 2700km tour' and implied I'd be pissed off if it wasn't done at the service.

Maybe your dealer has been notified by KTM USA and will just install it....... BUT, I suspect it will only be done IF you ask for it, as KTM advised in it's official bulletin that they recommend riders test ride the 2019 bike first as there is no going back to the 16-18 software........ though you would be nuts to think the 16-18 ECU was somehow better than the 2019 software - the 19's grey matter is 200% better than the earlier stuff :|

Thanks for burying my post - it doesn't bother me (I've got my UPGRADE), but it might cost another forum member time/money/crash/loss of enjoyment if they don't get the message asap.

:2thumbs:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thanks mate........ see what you think when you get your's done eh /images/KTMforums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

I just tell it like it is....... and I've had 2,700kms to test my upgrade out..... /images/KTMforums_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't understand this thread, I must be missing something. Why the speculation on a recall? Why the speculation of a design flaw because one person went down?
Just another confusing thread title by a confused poster. You'll notice there was never a resolution or a cause determined.

The internet is a wealth of information and also of misinformation and those without a very cynical eye may find themselves believing in fairy tales.

Dave Au says thee was a recall on fuel pumps. Apparently this does not extend to the '16 SDGT, because there's no such recall on mine. Someone reading that would think it's a universal thing and possibly the cause of whatever issue they're dealing with. Mine had 2 recalls, both taken care of at first service: The cheesey sidestand tang ( which I think did not extend to later models) and the front m/c piston, which I've heard was more widespread. I think we should all be a bit more careful about what we post, especially in the thread titles. I'm sure Rottweiler would not be pleased to hear their airbox kit causes an oil leak, which is like blaming a blowup on a new pipe. It's usually what someone did (or neglected to do) that causes problems and very rarely the engineering of a specific part or kit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
... and I think ScottyUK posted the official KTM service memo or the notification bulletin that was published in a major bike publication....... so I'm not making it up.... :dots:..... it's a fact :kiss:).

:beer:
I got it from a guy on a GT Facebook group. He owns a GT but conveniently works at a dealership. He saw the bulletin and put it in the public domain. :clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Also, here's a link to an article published in 'Fast Bikes'........ (thanks to Mick Shere on the Super Twins forum).

https://www.fastbikesmag.com/2019/05/27 ... qym4eXfR14

/images/KTMforums_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png) ........ I've got the 19 ECU flash and Fast Bikes report it was developed inhouse by KTM and is far superior to the original (WP?) software ...... so yes, I'll confirm that, after 7 days of charging around 2,700kms of varying quality Aussie Outback roads......... a very good test of any suspension /images/KTMforums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png .

I forgot to mention, that my fork travel is now much longer than before...... this may have been the root cause of some early 16 models 'harsh' or 'chattering' forks (software) - some of the guys had their forks rebuilt by KTM and we all thought it was valving/damping stack issues...... but it seems it was all software related.

Go forth and enjoy your Mr Plush with 19 software - sport is still short travel but with compliance, street is like sport but with full travel compliance and comfort has lost the vague floaty bouncy feel and is very comfy /images/KTMforums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png (if for some weird reason you love the original suspension, then you better do the test ride to make sure you will like the 19 software..... but for the majority, from my recent ride, you will love the new stuff........ ).

Cudos to KTM for releasing the upgrade rather than just sitting back and waiting for us to trade in on a new 19 model /images/KTMforums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
G'day from drizzly Cave-man in Au...... :laugh2: (yes it's raining here again......).

Tried again to see if I could spot anything in the vid...... :frown2:........ nah......

Speeds were 100kph (dash blurry but I'm assuming it's in Europe and it doesn't look like they are going hard enough to be at 100mph).

If i could just stumble onto the post regarding the hub bolts coming out and striking the brake carrier arm..... that is my best guess at a possible mechanical failure....... an engine stall might lock the rear up but a rider would grab the clutch and coast to a halt.

Something else is going on here and we just don't have enough basic clues like age/condition/mileage/service history/mods etc etc etc - or the biggie...... was the rear hub done u to 250Nm or just 120Nm :wink2:.

There was another post from a 690 rider about his rear sprocket tearing away from the hub (with part of the hub still attached...... but I forget what the issue was...... sprocket bolts not seated properly or something similar).

Anyway, Haroldo, try not to loose any sleep over this video....... there are more SDGT/R's out there than we can count and they don't all just fall down on a gentle bend at 100kph.

Keep the faith - maybe someday someone will post the details for this spectacular wipe out and we will all have a chuckle at our guesswork........ :grin2:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G'day from drizzly Cave-man in Au...... :laugh2: (yes it's raining here again......).

Tried again to see if I could spot anything in the vid...... :frown2:........ nah......

Speeds were 100kph (dash blurry but I'm assuming it's in Europe and it doesn't look like they are going hard enough to be at 100mph).

If i could just stumble onto the post regarding the hub bolts coming out and striking the brake carrier arm..... that is my best guess at a possible mechanical failure....... an engine stall might lock the rear up but a rider would grab the clutch and coast to a halt.

Something else is going on here and we just don't have enough basic clues like age/condition/mileage/service history/mods etc etc etc - or the biggie...... was the rear hub done u to 250Nm or just 120Nm :wink2:.

There was another post from a 690 rider about his rear sprocket tearing away from the hub (with part of the hub still attached...... but I forget what the issue was...... sprocket bolts not seated properly or something similar).

Anyway, Haroldo, try not to loose any sleep over this video....... there are more SDGT/R's out there than we can count and they don't all just fall down on a gentle bend at 100kph.

Keep the faith - maybe someday someone will post the details for this spectacular wipe out and we will all have a chuckle at our guesswork........ :grin2:
I apologize or the Cave Au screwup. No diss intended, just a fat-fingered, half-blind old fart beating on a junky computer. I have edited it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts