KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got delivery of the decat pipe from China so set about fitting it today, I loosened the header nuts first then lined up the pipe and found that the hanger hole didn’t line up with the bolt hole on the bike . Had to open it up so that the pipe sat lower,went in search of the cat to get the graphite gasket for the new pipe and found that the flange was quite small on the link pipe. I ended up using a longer stainless bolt to draw in the clamp, I then wiped down the Akra to remove the protective oil off it then used the supplied ceramic paste on the joint before tightening everything up. Rolled it out the garage and fired it up, I think it sounds a bit deeper and louder than the old GPR system that I removed. Mrs bigtree came out to see and hear how her bike sounded and got a vote of approval I think. Hoping for a good downpour to wash the salt off the roads and then a mild dry spell to take it for a spin . I meant to say it’s a well made pipe and for only £29.
5CE3D7A1-F6C6-4958-829C-29F972E197EC.jpeg
2A1D825E-FC5A-4CA5-83C8-86934721F3F0.jpeg
FCF1F4A3-E6D5-4CF4-8666-16A98D97B478.jpeg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good to hear it's s keeper. I've been trying to decide between this and the Leo Vince midpipe which costs 4 times the amount of these Chinese pipes

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear it's s keeper. I've been trying to decide between this and the Leo Vince midpipe which costs 4 times the amount of these Chinese pipes
This is the seller I bought from,

I did consider getting the one with the bulge like the Leo Vince from him but opted for just the straight pipe.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm..
Does look like the Leo Vance. Wonder if it functions the same. Anybody know? View attachment 93307
There is another picture that you can see inside, it looks to have a double wall with holes so probably acts as a kind of baffle. They are not a lot of money to buy and try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the 790R and planning to deCat when the warranty expires. I know the sound will be louder and deeper with some rumbling during engine braking, but rumors from 790 Adventure guys say performance gets worse and nobody has any better engine remapping available yet.

Has anyone with the deCat pipe notice worse gas mileage with no significant improvement in performance? I am happy with the 790s power and 50+ mpg, but would like a little more tone.....Don

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the 790R and planning to deCat when the warranty expires. I know the sound will be louder and deeper with some rumbling during engine braking, but rumors from 790 Adventure guys say performance gets worse and nobody has any better engine remapping available yet.

Has anyone with the deCat pipe notice worse gas mileage with no significant improvement in performance? I am happy with the 790s power and 50+ mpg, but would like a little more tone.....Don
I’ve heard all sorts of stories about engines going pop if you just decat it, all I’ve done with mine was fit an IXRACE exhaust. I’m happy with the sound but some people are saying you lose 10hp with it, can’t say I’ve noticed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It makes no sense to loose power when you let the engine breathe better, but I guess it runs too lean when you do. My reasons to deCat are less weight, less heat on the rear shock, and better sound, but I don’t want to loose power and increase fuel economy. Maybe someone will develop a good remapping for deCats.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Right on Mr. Bigtree! I'm at 5,000km's with my ebay pipe and it still is fine. Should still be adding fuel now that you've opened it up.

Does Mrs. Bigtree like it loud? I think the Akra + decat pipe is perfect blend of noise but others say it's too much. Leave that baffle in the Akra or it will sound like crap and she'll need earplugs and money for all the excessive noise tickets she gets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Finally got delivery of the decat pipe from China so set about fitting it today, I loosened the header nuts first then lined up the pipe and found that the hanger hole didn’t line up with the bolt hole on the bike . Had to open it up so that the pipe sat lower,went in search of the cat to get the graphite gasket for the new pipe and found that the flange was quite small on the link pipe. I ended up using a longer stainless bolt to draw in the clamp, I then wiped down the Akra to remove the protective oil off it then used the supplied ceramic paste on the joint before tightening everything up. Rolled it out the garage and fired it up, I think it sounds a bit deeper and louder than the old GPR system that I removed. Mrs bigtree came out to see and hear how her bike sounded and got a vote of approval I think. Hoping for a good downpour to wash the salt off the roads and then a mild dry spell to take it for a spin . I meant to say it’s a well made pipe and for only £29. View attachment 93294 View attachment 93295 View attachment 93296
Looks like the same Ti pipe I got from China. Mine broke at two of the welds. Got a Delkovic muffler and mid-pipe but it was way too loud. Ended up with the Leo Vince mid-pipe, louder than stock but not as loud as the straight pipe. I used the booster plug (which is basically an extension of the MAF sensor, located so it gets cooler air- fools the ECICU into richening the mixture a touch) and it runs better than stock at the cost of 3-5 mpg. https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/ktm-690-series-44c1.html

Dave

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like the same Ti pipe I got from China. Mine broke at two of the welds. Got a Delkovic muffler and mid-pipe but it was way too loud. Ended up with the Leo Vince mid-pipe, louder than stock but not as loud as the straight pipe. I used the booster plug (which is basically an extension of the MAF sensor, located so it gets cooler air- fools the ECICU into richening the mixture a touch) and it runs better than stock at the cost of 3-5 mpg. https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/ktm-690-series-44c1.html

Dave
I bought the stainless version,didn't see the point of a Ti pipe between 2 stainless ones. I fitted Kev's o2 controller and fuel mod that I had on the previous bike along with the DNA filters, I thought I would give the 29 quid pipe a go rather than the Leo Vince @ £154.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If there is anyone reading this thread and thinking of decatting their bike I have another link pipe that I'm selling, long story short is I ordered the original from Aliexpress in September and it looked as if it had got lost in the post so I bought another one from ebay. After almost 7 weeks the original arrived and the other one the next day,so I have one for sale. Cost me £32.96, will accept reasonable offers and will post.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
If there is anyone reading this thread and thinking of decatting their bike I have another link pipe that I'm selling, long story short is I ordered the original from Aliexpress in September and it looked as if it had got lost in the post so I bought another one from ebay. After almost 7 weeks the original arrived and the other one the next day,so I have one for sale. Cost me £32.96, will accept reasonable offers and will post.
Wish you were on this side of the pond.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My other 690 Duke R has the air box replaced, dna filters, cam, kevs mods...well it has the entire catalogue i think :) but I have had the straight through pipe on and off a few times and all it seems to do is make it terribly loud...loud like an old XR650 with no pipe loud. I usually last a few rides then put the stock system back on but it definitely does make it sound beefy :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts