KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm basically happy with the shape and feel of the stock seat, only complaint is that it's just a touch too firm.
This procedure removes some surface tension from the foam making it just a tad easier to sit on. It's not a radical change, more like a Goldilocks change but it is welcomed.

Tools are simple but a requirement is the electric staple gun (use SS staples).
DIY is as follows: Takes about an hour.
Remove seat cover staples with small screwdriver, locate where you sit on the seat and mark foam with sharpie pen.
Neatly draw off a grid (1/2 in spacing) on where you sit.
Using a new (sharp) razor blade cut down into your grid about 3/4 in deep.
I did that hard edge on the inside of your leg while stopped but not required.
You see what happens to the foam when a thumb pushes down, the relaxed surface tension allows more compression.

The two divots you see are from initially trying to drill small holes in foam - don't do this it just tears the foam.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I thought the initial shape was good as well. Before I went and ordered a new after market seat, I was referred to a guy who did custom seats for H. D.’s. I spent a couple hours with him trimming, dishing and replacing foam. Rode around a little, made some adjustments, buttoned it back up and done. Can’t tell anything was done by looking but it now is really all day good. Didn’t need another seat after all, this one is just right. Hope yours turns out the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,593 Posts
Great initiative! Why does your grid look like “breasts” ?

I have a spare SDR seat that I may try this on as well!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Just when I was thinking of spending $ on a pro re-foam and re-shape....... now I can play with the old seat for free....... (y)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I had to add some foam to mine to get it flat and level like I prefer. I had the upholsterer shave those sharp edges. If there had been enough foam initially, I would have broken out the wife's electric carving knife as I have reshaped seats with it before. (Don't tell!)

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,593 Posts
Well I wasn’t as precise as Sparti however I did a variation on his technique and used my cut off tool to cut the pattern - I didn’t go as deep but this removes some material and should soften it. It a good thing I have a spare seat to hack!

I should mention this is a SDR seat - I like the stock seat and have not been impressed with the ERGO on my previous KTM - it looked great but the original seat was more comfortable. I’ll button it up and see how it feels next to my in molested OEM seat.

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,593 Posts
I decided to even go more granular .....hopefully I have staples and can put it tougher later today

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,593 Posts
A quick butt test between the modified one and the original one - there is a definite difference - the original one feels “flatter/harder” where modified one feels softer and conforms to my shape. Who know what it will be like on the road - I’ll have to wait a few days as there is rain forcast here. Hopefully it’s not too soft and bottoms or creates other pressure points. A long road test will confirm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts