KTM Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the rc8 have an alternator?if not then what charges the battery? After I had you guys check the high beams for me my bike just died why I was riding! Quite literally just stopped on the road. I found the battery totally dead,its a antigrav,I sentbir in and got it back and bike runs fine. I need to know what system is used to charge our rc8. Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
It has a generator in the LHS cover opposite the clutch. Three phase AC is output to the regulator rectifier, which is located in the airflow under the front end, on the RHS (I think) as you're sat on the bike. It has fins on it.

You can test the output at the battery terminals, should be over 13V DC but under 15V in general for 12V vehicles.

In general, the regrec fails on bikes more often than the generator. Batteries fail more often than regrecs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok but how will i know if the rectifier or generator is not charging? Wont the terminal test be reading from the battery?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The easiest way is to check the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine off (around 12.6V on a good battery), and engine on, ~13.7V to 14.7V DC.

That's the first thing I do with battery/charging issues.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm ok waiting on my multi meter to come and went for a test ride. sure enough bike ran fine for a bit then it just shut off again. fliped off the key and the screen came back up so i could get the bike to fire right up but it would die again in a minute and i did check the battery cables. so if anyone can show me a schematic of were our regulator is on the rc8 it would help a lot. thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm ok i finally figured out how to use a multimeter and my numbers with the bike not running were 13.3 and with the bike running it dropped to 12.1 im thinking its time for a new stator and a regulator at the same time. Its only got 60 k miles on it but i do ride my 8 pretty hard. i wouldn't be shocked if they were going out being i had all the kickstand shut off problems and my quick shifter causing the bike to lurch like its going to shut off about 4 k miles ago, that may have been masking the stator or regulator going out. What ya guys think?

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's rare for both to fail at the same time, but still possible that one part in the chain takes the others out.

Stators are usually the more expensive part. A failed stator usually has brown burnt wiring and/or damaged/loose magnets.

You should check the AC output of the three phases, they should all read similar output at the same revs, roughly 20-50v.

If that's fine then it would likely be the regrec, no DC output so the bike is running on battery only.

Check connectors and wiring too, pitting or tarnished/loose connections, wiring just hanging on by one last thread will sometimes give acceptable readings, but be difficult to trace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts