KTM Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just bought a '16 Duke 690 that came with a decat midpipe and am trying to lower the noise a bit so I don't bother the neighbors too much. I was wondering if adding the stock catalytic converter would reduce the exhaust noise a bit and if it would be worth trying to find one to put on. I know it's heavy but the weight is at the lowest and most central point on the bike so I can't imagine it would make much difference in handling. Thanks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yeah, the difference is significant. I think my full system is quieter than the stock muffler w/o the cat. It's certainly a nicer sound. Note that while the weight is not a problem, I remember having to pull the cat to do oil changes (at least that was my excuse for the full Arrow system) -- perhaps only to avoid spilling oil on a hot cat. And that was a pain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. The previous owner said he would give me the cat if he found it, but I'm not sure when that will happen, if ever. Duketime I PM'd you about the cat. Also thanks for the heads up about oil changes. Seems like if I get a cat it will go on after the oil change, not before.

·
Registered
690 Duke
2 Posts
I also have a decat mid-pipe and the stock can on my 2018, and I'm not too crazy about the sound. When I bought the bike the previous owner gave me the stock cat, but I've never had it installed.

I've been wondering if the Akropovic exhaust header/manifold (Akrapovic Stainless Steel Exhaust Header KTM 690 Duke 2012-2016) + Akropovic slip-on (KTM Akrapovic "Slip-On Line" Exhaust 690 Duke 2013-2019) go together to make the full exhaust system that doesn't seem to be sold anymore. Anyone know? The header/manifold listing says it fits 2013-2016, but if it fits a 2016 I don't see why it wouldn't fit a 2018, right?

I assume if I install just the slip-on with my mid-pipe it's still going to be loud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts