KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have a 2016 KTM Duke 125 that has suddenly the day before MOT decided that it doesn't want to start, it just gives a single click from relay before everything goes dead.

I have checked all fuses and all good, battery good and I believe relay is good too and that leaves starter. Thought I'd remove and test on bench to confirm, but I can't, I don't see how you can get it out without dropping engine?

Can someone tell me please if dropping engine I my only choice?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd check out the starter solenoid. That is far more likely to have failed than the starter itself.

Reactions: Diamond Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for replying mangocrazy, in the end I did drop the engine, wasn't as bad as I thought but very time consuming removing electrical connections, fuel tank, exhaust, radiator and coolant pipes etc Al. It was a good excuse to give the engine a good service and clean while on the bench as I did with coolant system.

I had as you stated started with battery and starter solenoid, battery was good and I found there was a good supply of electrical energy at the stater cable end. This I was told was a good sign the solenoid was good.

I then turned attention to starter and took a spare battery I had and tried to jump starter that way but alas no luck. So i dropped engine and checked the starter on the bench and it worked!!!!!

I'm not scared of a spanner and have worked on many a car engine over the years but, I am not a fan of working on nor understanding the electrical systems on cars or bikes, so I was stumped.

Spent the next day or two while I serviced engine on bench googling and time and time again "check earths" came up. I then went to the two earth straps on rear of bike, the one on the right as you would sit and it was loose! Tightened, and up it fired with a shiny clean engine and coolant system.

My symptoms were misleading, my bike would intermittently switch to on and prime the fuel pump but, as soon as I pressed starter it would give a single click from solenoid and everything went dead. So long as I stayed away from starter button I would have power for side lights, indicators, dash etc.

Was advised that a single click was a good sign it was starter motor as multiple clicks usually signified the solenoid. Did all the usual checks on battery and solenoid and they proved positive, thus leaving the starter as culprit!?

Anyways! You live and learn and I hope this might help someone else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts