KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 390 Duke that is all stock. I just bought it last week and it has 140+ miles on it. I have noticed a couple of times when I am downshifting from 3rd to 2nd that something in the motor clicks and the bike shuts off. I can pull in the clutch and restart it with no issues. But this seems very odd and shouldn't happen. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, mine did it as well. Many complaints on the Duke 390 forum of cutting out on deceleration with clutch in. Most seemed to think it was due to running too lean.
I fitted the Powertronic piggyback ecu to try tune out the issue but still did it occasionally(so dont believe too lean is the problem). Seemed cut out was less consistent if I let the bike warm up more before setting out.
Dealer was of no help as no faults stored.
Ps: that click sound is the starter resetting i think. You will also hear that sound when switching off ignition normally, and my 890r clicks with ignition off as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, mine did it as well. Many complaints on the Duke 390 forum of cutting out on deceleration with clutch in. Most seemed to think it was due to running too lean.
I fitted the Powertronic piggyback ecu to try tune out the issue but still did it occasionally(so dont believe too lean is the problem). Seemed cut out was less consistent if I let the bike warm up more before setting out.
Dealer was of no help as no faults stored.
Ps: that click sound is the starter resetting i think. You will also hear that sound when switching off ignition normally, and my 890r clicks with ignition off as well.
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense on the starter resetting. That is the sound I was hearing. I will let it warm up more and see if that helps. Sounds like a software issue, was thinking about putting the Powertronic on mine too. Worth it? I am going to decat and put the performance air box.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, powertronic gives you option to tune both fuel and ignition and you can run two maps using a handlebar mounted map switch or connector at control unit. Also many 390 owners using it so easy to get a base map close to your requirements and fine tune on your PC. With the mods you plan, you will need a tunable ecu. They also offer a quickshifter option, though I did not try that.
Consider though that these mods will void your waranty. I only fitted it after first annual service as I did not expect to take bike back to dealer after that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts