KTM Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I am from India, and ride a Duke 200. Posting my concern here since the 200 is a lot similar to the 125 and 250 mechanically.

Background: The bike had developed a weird rattle, which was diagnosed to be a common problem with the head assy, and the same was replaced under warranty. But post repair, the bike developed a weird intermittent problem. It has been more than a year since, and the KTM guys still could not resolve it.

The problem: The bike starts perfectly with a cold engine (even if it is left idle for weeks), idles like a champ, i start riding it, goes for about a hundred metre, and it stalls. I would crank it back up, and it would crank ever so slightly longer and would roar back to life. Post that, there would not be any problem. At times, it never stalls at all, but the throttle response would be a tad dull during the initial few hundred metres and then it would be all good. But there are times when it would stall the same way, i would crank, the engine would fire up for a second, and again die. It's only after five to six times of cranking that it would start and behave normally. Although, this happens rarely.

Apart from the above, it would perform perfectly fine. The KTM service centre has checked the compression, and it was absolutely healthy. They have scanned it with the tool and logged the data too, but it would not show anything abnormal. They have replaced the ignition coil, spark plug, cleaned the throttle body, but nothing helped.

The problem happens a lot more during winters, but surprisingly, it has happened a couple of times with a warm engine as well.

It would be of great help if anybody could suggest me a way forward to diagnose and troubleshoot.

Thanks & Regards,

Anish

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Anish, I have a few questions. not to familiar with your specific bike as I own a 390. I may be able to provide avenues to check.
How many miles does the bike have? When was the last time you had a full service done? Have you had the fuel pump checked? Have you had the fuel system completely checked? I.E. Fuel filter is not dirty? Have you ever had the filter replaced? The fuel hoses are not kinked, hoses are securely connected, No worn or cracked hoses,

Reason I ask is I know India is brutal on a bike as far as dust. as a rule of thumb for myself I always check or replace my fuel filter whenever I do a service. Alot of times a bike with a problem within the fuel system will show symptoms you wrote of such as, starting fine at cold start, dying after a short ride.cranking a bit longer than usual, (caused by the bike trying to get enough fuel to fire off but blockage is limiting fuel flow.)

Since you said it happens more in the winter. Check your gasket around the fuel filler cap. If that is worn or damaged replace it. Any moisture in the fuel system could also create the symptom of the bike stalling running sluggish and having bad throttle response or dying and then running fine after a bit. Just some things I would check before I had to take it to the shop. Could help you save some money on shop fee if you can diagnose what needs to be fixed.

As a side note. Use Google and Youtube. may be able to find someone experiencing the same thing who possibly found a solution.

Hope it helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts