KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
KTM 690 Duke '16
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This is my first post here so I hope I don't break any rules.
First of all, I did my search on the forum but couldn't find something similar to my problem:

The bikes sounds perfect on idle, no rattling or metallic sound at all. But when I'm driving, whenever I open the throttle from low rpms, it makes a very loud metallic knocking sound. To me it sounds like the chain knocking on the swingarm, but it seems tight enough, so I don't know where this comes from. It also does this noise when I go through a big bump.

What do you think?

Thank you.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Does it do it when you rev it in neutral? How many miles on the bike? Is it a single knock, a few knocks or a steady sound? If the chain is adjusted correctly, it likely isn't that. Still, check side to side play and the condition of both sprockets. Get the rear wheel in the air, put it in gear and see if you can replicate the noise by jerking the wheel back and forth. I suppose it could be the rear sprocket carrier rubber cushions gone bad but that would be very unusual. Check side to side play of the rear wheel. It could be the wheel bearing. Last, does it do it if you brake hard using only the rear brake?

·
Registered
KTM 690 Duke '16
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it do it when you rev it in neutral? How many miles on the bike? Is it a single knock, a few knocks or a steady sound? If the chain is adjusted correctly, it likely isn't that. Still, check side to side play and the condition of both sprockets. Get the rear wheel in the air, put it in gear and see if you can replicate the noise by jerking the wheel back and forth. I suppose it could be the rear sprocket carrier rubber cushions gone bad but that would be very unusual. Check side to side play of the rear wheel. It could be the wheel bearing. Last, does it do it if you brake hard using only the rear brake?
No it doesn't do it in neutral. The bike has 21000km (around 13000mi). They are a few knocks. I will check the chain and the side to side play this weekend.
Thank you for your response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts