KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone suffering on this seat like I am? I'm 6'1" and I tend to want to sit back on the ridges of the seat, which gets very uncomfortable. I've searched the internet for different seats for this bike, but I'm striking out so far. Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
im 6 foot 2 and have no problem.... you should be sitting more forward, get the weight up the front....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

My ability to go forward seems limited as well as my knee pads get into the tank quite a bit. It does help to put my toes on the pegs to get my knees pointed down more.

I'm coming off a Honda VFR, so this is going to be a bit of an adjustment.

Areas where the Duke is better than the VFR: light, flickable, better feeling when cornering, better brake feel, way better fuel economy.

Areas where the VFR is better: more power, smoother FI, good wind protection, comfortable seat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
most riders coming off thos kinda bikes always tend to sit too far back.... i also have my toes on the pegs, i just find that more natural. once your used to it, theres nothing quite like it, they handle briliant....

·
Registered
2 Posts
690 Duke Mileage

I really like the look of this bike. Unfortunately the only dealer in my town won't stock them so I can't easily test ride. My 2007 Superduke is a great bike but not relevant on todays over-policed roads. As a matter of interest, what sort of mileage are owners getting?

·
Registered
181 Posts
52 MPG during spirited sport riding for me and Im no lightweight.

I came from an SV650, so I have adjusted my seating forward as mentioned above, it makes all the diff. I would still like to elimanate those ridges and shave the back of the seat down a bit. I have a second stock seat that I will experiment with this fall.

(this bike doesnt really care where your weight is on it, it just turns very well)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sometimes I can ride for hours with no hassle, but other times it can be a pain after 20 minutes. Being nice and long though you can move around a lot to find a bit of comfort.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duke 690 Mileage

I got 55 mpg on my very first tank. I tried out all three maps on this tank (settled on the normal map)

As far as the seat goes, I tilted my bars forward an inch or two and I now feel alot more comfortable sitting forward; away from the ridges. I still would like to take a closer look at the 690SM seat option though.

Quote "(this bike doesnt really care where your weight is on it, it just turns very well)" This is so true. If I sat up straight on my VFR, I felt like I had no front end feel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got home from a 400 mile, 2.5 day, North Carolina mountain ride. I got 61 mpg on each tankfull with some very spirited riding.
ama

·
Registered
181 Posts
i like the rear ridges, i think the seat off the 690SM fits, dont quote me on it tho...

I cut the ridges off completely, I like it alot better. I still may shave some more out to level out the seat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got home from a 400 mile, 2.5 day, North Carolina mountain ride. I got 61 mpg on each tankfull with some very spirited riding.
ama
Did you do this on the stock seat???:eek: You get the iron-butt award!

I'm going to try padded bicycle pants under my gear on my next ride.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually, I did..............and I'm 57 years old!! And, believe me, the 690 Duke is wonderful in the mountains. In three days of riding on Hwy. 28, the Dragon, Warwoman, and Wayah Bald, I consistently smoked a S4Rs , a Tiger 1050 and a GT 1000.

·
Registered
181 Posts
excellent roads AMA, you made me want to go there again! (was there in early June, on my SV650)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need to toughen up and get down there to ride. Or throw my bike in the back of a pickup like the Harley boys do.;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just ordered an Aerostich sheepskin seatpad for an upcoming trip this weekend. I think it should work well for the long duration in the saddle.

Bri690 I shaved the fins off my extra seat, the only bummer is that they glued the stock seat cover to the foam, so you basically have to cut the foam from the out side and then recover the whole thing. (old reciprocating turkey knife works well)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Comfort Seat

I just ordered the +20mm Ergo Comfort seat from KTM. Should have it next week... I'll let you know if it helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ergo Seat

ktm has 3 different seats available, all with a gel insert. I think there is a stock height, +20mm and +40mm.

I've seen those for the 690SM, but will they fit the Duke?

Although maybe the hard seat is a good thing. It's the only reason I have to stop riding and get stuff done at home.:D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts