KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I likely to get in terms of miles/kms from the engine, assuming it's properly serviced and ridden sympathetically? I don't mean pussyfooting around, just riding normally. A mixture of 100 mile runs and shorter blasts.

·
Registered
990 Posts
There is a teardown of a Duke IV after 50.000km on Youtube. Done by a Deutch magazine.
According to them the engine shows very little sign of wear, and as long as it's properly taken care of will last much longer.

In regards to max km I don't know.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
There is a teardown of a Duke IV after 50.000km on Youtube. Done by a Deutch magazine.
According to them the engine shows very little sign of wear, and as long as it's properly taken care of will last much longer.

In regards to max km I don't know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FFQpFAU_So

This one?
probably not, this one shows tear down at 25000km
Still very interesting

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I was "promised" 70'000km before the head needs to come off. So you can double that with a re-bore, assuming a scored cylinder was the reason for the head coming off. Seriously Nick, it is not a concern. IF you wanted to keep rebuilding it, it'll outlast you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, and I'd probably get a fair bit more than that, although I realize that a high performance single isn't going to last like an inline four!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't thinking of 600cc fours, more longer stroke, big capacity fours like my 1340cc Suzuki B-King, which, I would imagine, with good maintenance, will last 200,000 miles/320,000 km. I don't think 70,000km sounds much for the Duke at all.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I don't think 70,000km sounds much for the Duke at all.

That is the earliest that you might have to take the head off.

I never said that is when you'll have to bury it.

I was "promised" 70'000km before the head needs to come off. So you can double that .....
What's the point of comparing a 690 single to a B-King? Kinda like saying a Toyota Corolla is more economical than a Lamborghini; it doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was only supposed to illustrate the longevity of large capacity fours, seeing you referred to high revving smaller capacity (presumably) bikes. Maybe a better comparison would be the 690 versus the XT660

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
^ A much more valid comparison. Remember though, that the 690 is pushing out 70hp the and the Yammie is only capable of 50 hp.

I see no reason to avoid comparison of the 690 to a 600-four, they do compete in the market place.

But I cannot see a potential buyer saying "Hmmmm - which is it to be? The Duke or the King? I think I will go for the King because the engine is going to last longer".

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boldor, I wasn't trying to say that, though. It's just that I ride the King. However I fancy something lighter to enjoy on the back roads down here. My Buell Ulysses will have to go to accommodate the Duke. Now, that would be an interesting comparison. Duke v Uly. I bet the Duke will be as quick and handle as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boldor, going back to your point that the Duke can be compared to the smaller fours, I now remember RIDE magazine, in its first issue in 1995, stripping down a CBR600 with 160,000 miles (256,000 km) on the clock, and this a bike which had been abused (services missed etc.), and finding everything in the unit to be within tolerance. I can't imagine a KTM, single or twin, lasting like this. I say this because the head mechanic at Bracken, the leading KTM dealership in England, they prepared bikes for overland travel and are now sadly closed, telling me that he reckoned the 950 Adventure was good for about 80,000 miles (128,000 km).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Do many people actually keep their bikes for such high mileage these days? but,in saying that I'm looking forward to crossing 30,000km on mine over the next month or so...after reading some of these projections I'm wondering if I should bring a beach umbrella with going up in the outback LOL in case it stops... :) :)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I'm not disputing you at all Nick. I guess it has a lot to do with what you classify as a dead engine and what you think is worth reconditioning.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts