KTM Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
What about the aprillia shiver? Is it good atleast
Yes, the Shiver was the more powerful 750. Considering its weight and less sporty geometry, it’s probably comparable to the KTM in performance. Have you also considered the 390 Duke?

·
Registered
30 Posts
How about the Yamaha MT-03? That is a modern version of the SZR and was available in Lebanon. Also, it’s a bit too much motorcycle but the GSXR600 is also an excellent bike. Facebook Groups
I mean I already got a z250 wouldn't the mt03 be the same in term of power? The thing is I don't want to get a weak bike ride it for a month then reaell it cuz of the underpower feeling maybe the gsxr600 could do the deed but still pretty rare in here

·
Registered
115 Posts
I mean I already got a z250 wouldn't the mt03 be the same in term of power? The thing is I don't want to get a weak bike ride it for a month then reaell it cuz of the underpower feeling maybe the gsxr600 could do the deed but still pretty rare in here
The Yamaha MT-03 is a 660cc single. But, yes, performance is similar.

·
Registered
2018 KTM 690 Duke; 2012 KTM 990 SMT
18 Posts
Wait what? Automatic transmission? Which ones u dont mean the mana or monster?
In the US, the Aprilia Mana 850 GT was an automatic. The non "GT" version was a normal shifter bike.

If I was going into college, I would not get the Duke or Ducati or Aprilia. Assuming you would have no good garage or space to work on it, not a lot of time or money to put into it, I'd get a fun bike that is very reliable.

I'd go Yamaha or the Suzuki SV-650 mentioned. I don't really know of any fun reasonably priced Hondas. Well, maybe the CBR500 bikes. Not really a fan of the Versys 650, but some people really like them.

Oh, in the US, the Yamaha FZ8 seemed to not be popular, and because of that they can be had used for reasonable prices. I'd rather have the 07 though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In the US, the Aprilia Mana 850 GT was an automatic. The non "GT" version was a normal shifter bike.

If I was going into college, I would not get the Duke or Ducati or Aprilia. Assuming you would have no good garage or space to work on it, not a lot of time or money to put into it, I'd get a fun bike that is very reliable.

I'd go Yamaha or the Suzuki SV-650 mentioned. I don't really know of any fun reasonably priced Hondas. Well, maybe the CBR500 bikes. Not really a fan of the Versys 650, but some people really like them.

Oh, in the US, the Yamaha FZ8 seemed to not be popular, and because of that they can be had used for reasonable prices. I'd rather have the 07 though.
Again I really agree with you guys but as mentioned before these bikes are pretty limited never seen and sv650 or cbr500 in here before and 1 question usedtobefast what did you mean when you said having space or a good garage to work on it? You mean doing repairs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Again I really agree with you guys but as mentioned before these bikes are pretty limited never seen and sv650 or cbr500 in here before and 1 question usedtobefast what did you mean when you said having space or a good garage to work on it? You mean doing repairs?
Yes, place for you to work on it. Like a Duke 690 valve adjustment ... you pull stuff apart ... measure ... if valves need adjusting then you get the shims out, find out their size and what new size you need, then off to the KTM dealer for the correct size shims ... and if they don't have them and order them, then the bike is apart for a week or so. You can buy a shim kit with all sorts of sizes but that is a bit expensive and will have many sizes you'll never need. And many repairs might be like $400 in parts and $800-$1000 in labor ... so if you can do the work, it will only cost you $400 vs. a dealership charging $1200-$1400.

Valve checks are needed every 6000 miles.

In the US very few college students would have a garage where they live ... like in an apartment or on campus ... not sure what your situation is like.

In the US we use craigslist.org or facebook marketplace to find used bikes ... what do you use in Lebanon?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, place for you to work on it. Like a Duke 690 valve adjustment ... you pull stuff apart ... measure ... if valves need adjusting then you get the shims out, find out their size and what new size you need, then off to the KTM dealer for the correct size shims ... and if they don't have them and order them, then the bike is apart for a week or so. You can buy a shim kit with all sorts of sizes but that is a bit expensive and will have many sizes you'll never need. And many repairs might be like $400 in parts and $800-$1000 in labor ... so if you can do the work, it will only cost you $400 vs. a dealership charging $1200-$1400.

Valve checks are needed every 6000 miles.

In the US very few college students would have a garage where they live ... like in an apartment or on campus ... not sure what your situation is like.

In the US we use craigslist.org or facebook marketplace to find used bikes ... what do you use in Lebanon?
I see, so basically I need to adjust valves every 6000 miles but didn't quite get when should I change the shims not every valve adjustment right? And we use facebook too for used bikes and mostly an app called olx arabia download it if you want choose the country as lebanon and take a look at used bikes

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update I got the duke but can I send u guys a video of it cuz I wanna check if the engine is completely running fine Idk my guts are telling me there's a weird crank voice and idk if thats normal for a new driver since ive never driven a duke before it turned off like 3 times while riding it idk if im not used to the clutch yet

·
Registered
30 Posts
Uh oh. Sounds like you should have spent a little more time evaluating it first!
I havent given him my z250 papers yet since im not sure about the bike yet ima head to my garage so I can do a little vid guys btw I noticed something about the temperature I was in the middle of the day and it was hot like 30 degrees celsius and I heard somewhere before that the duke's temperature gauge isn't right I felt a bit of overheating is that normal?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’ve read that there is a thermostat with a lower temperature setting. I haven’t had problems but mine is a 2018 so maybe they fixed it by then.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hi Bikeaddict,

Try not to get too spooked by advice - we are all so far away and sometimes the message can be misinterpreted......... your bike may be quite normal - especially if it has full service records and looks like it has been well cared for.

The manual may state to check valves every 6000 miles, but that doesn't mean they need to be adjusted every time...... just checked (to see if they are still in tolerance). This is not a job for a novice anyway and some training and tools are required.

I find changing the engine oil regularly (eg; I change mine more often than the book says, but there are many variables like how aggressive a rider treats the throttle, or how harsh the local conditions are etc) prevents excessive valve wear, and keeps oil jets clear of blockages. I have had many bikes over 45yrs of riding and doing my own servicing.

I currently have 30C temps here in Australia (summer), and my SDGT still only runs at half temp on the gauge, though when the fan cuts in it blows hot air onto my boot, and the exhaust catalizer heats up and makes my leg feel toasty if I put it too close to the exhaust pipe. That's all normal as the cat is just doing it's job burning up excess emissions.

Many riders think that heat is coming from an overheating engine, but it is just the cat or the radiator fan, and is normal. True overheating will show up as very high reading on the dash temp gauge, a warning light of some sort, or a warning message, poor performance or steam from the radiator if the bike has one. Check the service records for when the radiator coolant was last changed - it should be flushed every 2 yrs to work properly and prevent corrosion.

If you bought the used bike from a dealership, maybe it has some sort of warranty covering it for a few months, so any major concerns can be fixed by the dealership (?).

I suspect your bike will be fine so long as you change the oil at an appropriate time (assuming you have some mechanical skills or someone can show you what to do)....... KTM's are just as robust as other brands, but as with all machinery, some guys can kill anything with abuse, ignorance or neglect. Maybe put it in for annual servicing and tune ups if you trust the dealership, or find a reliable skilled mechanic. Owner manuals often have good detail on how to change the oil & filter correctly, so if you are riding less than 10,000kms a year it's likely a once a year DIY job for you.

I hope you enjoy the bike and with a little bit of care it should reward you with reliable service for many years.

Happy new year (y)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Bikeaddict,

Try not to get too spooked by advice - we are all so far away and sometimes the message can be misinterpreted......... your bike may be quite normal - especially if it has full service records and looks like it has been well cared for.

The manual may state to check valves every 6000 miles, but that doesn't mean they need to be adjusted every time...... just checked (to see if they are still in tolerance). This is not a job for a novice anyway and some training and tools are required.

I find changing the engine oil regularly (eg; I change mine more often than the book says, but there are many variables like how aggressive a rider treats the throttle, or how harsh the local conditions are etc) prevents excessive valve wear, and keeps oil jets clear of blockages. I have had many bikes over 45yrs of riding and doing my own servicing.

I currently have 30C temps here in Australia (summer), and my SDGT still only runs at half temp on the gauge, though when the fan cuts in it blows hot air onto my boot, and the exhaust catalizer heats up and makes my leg feel toasty if I put it too close to the exhaust pipe. That's all normal as the cat is just doing it's job burning up excess emissions.

Many riders think that heat is coming from an overheating engine, but it is just the cat or the radiator fan, and is normal. True overheating will show up as very high reading on the dash temp gauge, a warning light of some sort, or a warning message, poor performance or steam from the radiator if the bike has one. Check the service records for when the radiator coolant was last changed - it should be flushed every 2 yrs to work properly and prevent corrosion.

If you bought the used bike from a dealership, maybe it has some sort of warranty covering it for a few months, so any major concerns can be fixed by the dealership (?).

I suspect your bike will be fine so long as you change the oil at an appropriate time (assuming you have some mechanical skills or someone can show you what to do)....... KTM's are just as robust as other brands, but as with all machinery, some guys can kill anything with abuse, ignorance or neglect. Maybe put it in for annual servicing and tune ups if you trust the dealership, or find a reliable skilled mechanic. Owner manuals often have good detail on how to change the oil & filter correctly, so if you are riding less than 10,000kms a year it's likely a once a year DIY job for you.

I hope you enjoy the bike and with a little bit of care it should reward you with reliable service for many years.

Happy new year (y)
Hii thx for answering me and yes I will be taking it to the ktm dealership just to check the records of this bike and no I bought it from a person dealerships in here only sell japanese bikes ima send you guys a vid im gonna take in a min and give me your opinion about the bike's condition and the bike's oil has been changed with a filter of course 15 days ago

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hard to say "great" or "bad" from a video. The 690 is a noisy motor even brand new. From that video nothing sounds abnormal to me.

For the 3 times it turned off ... was it a "getting used to the 690 clutch" issue? Or did the motor just die on you for no reason?

Most likely, if you keep it, you will ride it and have a great time and have no real issues. But ... if something did happen, how bad would that be for you? Like say it needed a $2500 repair from a dealer? How horrible would that be?

There is a person in my area that has spent over $2500 on his Duke 690 with issues and it still isn't running properly. But then there are guys buying used ones and riding for years with zero issues.

To make up some numbers :) , let's say a used Duke 690 will have a 8% chance of having an issue. Whereas a used Yamaha 07 would have a 0.5% chance of having an issue. So more risk with the Duke.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hard to say "great" or "bad" from a video. The 690 is a noisy motor even brand new. From that video nothing sounds abnormal to me.

For the 3 times it turned off ... was it a "getting used to the 690 clutch" issue? Or did the motor just die on you for no reason?

Most likely, if you keep it, you will ride it and have a great time and have no real issues. But ... if something did happen, how bad would that be for you? Like say it needed a $2500 repair from a dealer? How horrible would that be?

There is a person in my area that has spent over $2500 on his Duke 690 with issues and it still isn't running properly. But then there are guys buying used ones and riding for years with zero issues.

To make up some numbers :) , let's say a used Duke 690 will have a 8% chance of having an issue. Whereas a used Yamaha 07 would have a 0.5% chance of having an issue. So more risk with the Duke.
While riding I didn't feel any weird things or something bad runs perfectly and strong but as You mentioned before yes I took it for a ride yesterday night reached around 90 miles everything normal brakes good abs works fine but I remember getting off the bike put it in neutral was waiting for my brother to reach the garage since he was also riding the other bike it stayed up for like 50 seconds without touching the throttle and it turned off I suspected something with the alternator? Could it be I mean makes sense if its turning off sometimes

41 - 60 of 71 Posts