KTM Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Today and yesterday were a complete lockdown so I couldn't take it to a mechanic hopefully ill take it in 7 hours when they're open since it's night right now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh and I forgot to mention the bike hasn't been driven for 2 months could it be the turning off problem a clogged injector?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Cheers BA,

If you were referring to a high idle speed after the ride, check the manual...... most bikes have a 1500rpm idle these days so that may be normal - I've not ridden a 690 so can only offer general advice, but my 1290 has a 1500 rpm idle.

The bike seems to make all the usual single cylinder sounds, but other 690 owners would be more expert than me. At least I didn't detect any nasty valve or cam chain noises.

I'm not so sure the Japanese brands deserve the reputation for ultra reliability these days - my cousin worked for Yamaha's national office a couple of years ago, fixing all the mystery faults that the full time engineers couldn't trace, and setting up some of their race bikes...... and there were quite a few issues with electronics that he had to trace and replace........ all models, like ATV's, MX, YZF1000's you name it, they had the odd issue out of the crate - their were mechanical and gearbox failures in the list too...... mostly down to factory parts suppliers providing below spec components or assembly blackouts (like forgetting to install rings on pistons), but a failure is a failure no matter the brand........

Your issue is not with 'KTM' so much, more a question of 'is the used bike I'm buying in good order at 7yo and ?60k km?'. I've always been a new bike buyer (so that's where all my money has gone? :eek:)..... so what's your budget for buying a bike and what does the bike have to do to earn it's position in your garage? Could a smaller capacity model do the same job as a 690? eg commuting to work or University. Do you need a bigger bike for weekend trips?

We can't help with that decision, but the 690 looks/sounds ok in the video (y)

PS My dentist just sent a reminder txt so I have another crown to get done on Monday - there goes another $2k just on teeth!........ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cheers BA,

If you were referring to a high idle speed after the ride, check the manual...... most bikes have a 1500rpm idle these days so that may be normal - I've not ridden a 690 so can only offer general advice, but my 1290 has a 1500 rpm idle.

The bike seems to make all the usual single cylinder sounds, but other 690 owners would be more expert than me. At least I didn't detect any nasty valve or cam chain noises.

I'm not so sure the Japanese brands deserve the reputation for ultra reliability these days - my cousin worked for Yamaha's national office a couple of years ago, fixing all the mystery faults that the full time engineers couldn't trace, and setting up some of their race bikes...... and there were quite a few issues with electronics that he had to trace and replace........ all models, like ATV's, MX, YZF1000's you name it, they had the odd issue out of the crate - their were mechanical and gearbox failures in the list too...... mostly down to factory parts suppliers providing below spec components or assembly blackouts (like forgetting to install rings on pistons), but a failure is a failure no matter the brand........

Your issue is not with 'KTM' so much, more a question of 'is the used bike I'm buying in good order at 7yo and ?60k km?'. I've always been a new bike buyer (so that's where all my money has gone? :eek:)..... so what's your budget for buying a bike and what does the bike have to do to earn it's position in your garage? Could a smaller capacity model do the same job as a 690? eg commuting to work or University. Do you need a bigger bike for weekend trips?

We can't help with that decision, but the 690 looks/sounds ok in the video (y)

PS My dentist just sent a reminder txt so I have another crown to get done on Monday - there goes another $2k just on teeth!........ :rolleyes:
Ah thanks for the answer and yes I kinda need a bike to go to the university and ride it for fun I hope the ktm does that and I hope it's agood bike as you said its a 7y bike not so old bit no so new and it has 11k miles on it so not so much right? Only if the owner did a reset when he got it I mean id say 11k miles on a bike is like 30% of his life right?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Only 11,000 miles (thats err 17,600kms) - that's still new! It should easily do over 60k miles if serviced regularly. No wonder it sounded fine in the video...... I was thinking 7yo x say 5k mls a year = around 30-40k mls...... so that one might only need a new battery and oil and maybe tyres if it has been parked most of it's life.

Maybe the brake and clutch fluids are a bit old too - that's the value of service records when dealing with age instead of mileage ridden........

No wonder it looked so new too....... I'd say it's a great buy, if it all checks out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Only 11,000 miles (thats err 17,600kms) - that's still new! It should easily do over 60k miles if serviced regularly. No wonder it sounded fine in the video...... I was thinking 7yo x say 5k mls a year = around 30-40k mls...... so that one might only need a new battery and oil and maybe tyres if it has been parked most of it's life.

Maybe the brake and clutch fluids are a bit old too - that's the value of service records when dealing with age instead of mileage ridden........

No wonder it looked so new too....... I'd say it's a great buy, if it all checks out.
Oh I hope so can't wait to take it to the mechanic ima do a full check up and re update in here tyres changed oil changed battery I bought one yesterday brakes are good too abs works fine so im just worried about the engine and the overheating problem + that unexpected engine turning off thing I just came back from the garage turned it on let it warm for 5 mins it turned off once

·
Registered
30 Posts
And btw guys I put my zx6r for sale for 2000$ a guy messaged me he said he wants to trade said hes gonna give me a kawasaki ninja 250 +500$ is it a fair trade?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
:unsure:....... Are you sure you want two bikes with two rego's to pay etc etc........ and the 250 might be knackered (?).........

So says a guy who has two bikes and a car to pay for :rolleyes:...........

I'd hold out for a cash sale so you can use the $ on your KTM rides and services etc etc (or a new helmet or whatever).

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah I agree with you wish I could sell it the problem is the zx6r is a 2002 so it's pretty old. 19 years old harder to sell and by knackered you mean the ninja 250 has a bad engine?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Hi BA,

It might have been thrashed mercilessly and not had any regular maintenance :unsure: as most 250's get ridden pretty hard, but they tend to be easy to sell in the learner rider's market, but as you say, your 02 600 might be harder to sell due it's age.... (I have a 2005 CBR1100XX with 130k kms on the clock, so no one is interested in it unless I drop the price to give away level's :rolleyes:....so I know the feeling).

It's hard to give relevant advise from so far away..... the deal might be good for you if you feel you can on sell that 250 with maybe just a bit of a clean up, or minimal spend to bring it up to a high standard (if it isn't already in good condition).

I suppose it could be a good spare bike for the day your 690 has to go in for a service or a repair..... if your rego costs aren't high.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi BA,

It might have been thrashed mercilessly and not had any regular maintenance :unsure: as most 250's get ridden pretty hard, but they tend to be easy to sell in the learner rider's market, but as you say, your 02 600 might be harder to sell due it's age.... (I have a 2005 CBR1100XX with 130k kms on the clock, so no one is interested in it unless I drop the price to give away level's :rolleyes:....so I know the feeling).

It's hard to give relevant advise from so far away..... the deal might be good for you if you feel you can on sell that 250 with maybe just a bit of a clean up, or minimal spend to bring it up to a high standard (if it isn't already in good condition).

I suppose it could be a good spare bike for the day your 690 has to go in for a service or a repair..... if your rego costs aren't high.......
Ya you're right, about the duke I think there might be a crank problem got 2 mechanics to do a check up so I'm gonna try and get my z250 back I might fight back for it since he's sure it doesn't have a crank problem so I'm back to zero now, maybe the video I sent doesn't mimic the duke sound clearly but bow I'm 90% sure it has a crankshaft problem you see, in my country people are filthy and it's a pretty fked up country even the company doesn't know the background of the bikes they sell so ima say im in big trouble if I don't get my z250 back couldn't go to work today cuz I can't take the risk of riding the duke and have the crankshaft and biel shattered anyways I will keep you updated guys of whats gonna happen and again sorry for taking your time to solve my problems :/

61 - 71 of 71 Posts