KTM Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey

First post here.

I saw the Duke at a local bike show in NB last month. Didn't know much about it when I saw it other then the fact that it looked incredibly fun to ride. I am riding a 2006 KLX 250s right now and find it lacking when out cruising with the street bike crowd. Im looking for a bike that still rides similar to a dirt bike over a street bike like say a yamaha R6. I just don't like the rider position and handling of them. I can comfortably cruise on the 250 at 80km/h and once up to 100km/h it starts to get uncomfortable after a few minutes of riding.

So the Duke looks like it ride similar to a dirt bike on the road. Has more power to keep up, but how does it cruise compared to a dual sport? I know its not going to be amazing due to its size, weight, etc but it must be a step up from what I have? I will also be travelling to work 36km's each way on the highway. (This is the part im worried about). How does the bike do for vibrations? Anything like a dirt bike? I was looking to get into a street rig with 4cyl. They just seem so much smoother. How fast does the duke 690 go?

These bikes seem hard to find used. So this is another problem. Going new means $$$.

So really im just looking for opinions on the situation. Think the bike will be a good choice? Ive looked at piles of bikes and there isn't too many out there I like but the Duke caught my eye...Theres nothing else out there like it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, FWIW, I just traded my KLX250S in on a Duke!

I pick the Duke up in a few days.

My KLX was only a couple of months old but I realised that most of my riding would be on the road, not the dirt. And you are right - the KLX is not the greatest on the highway, keeps slowing down on hills.

The Duke only weighs a little more than the KLX but has three times the power, so you do the maths :). Sitting on it, it is more comfortable than the KLX (despite complaints on here about lack of seat padding) and doesn't feel remarkably different to the KLX in terms of posture. The seat is an inch lower than the KLX so is easy to mount. The Duke certainly exudes quality and looks even better in real life than in photos! I can't wait.

So, besides the looks, I'm really looking forward to the bike's excellent handling :D. I live in the Adelaide hills (South Australia) - lots and lots of twisties - twistie heaven. So I'll just be *forced* to ride up and down the winding roads where I live *every day* on the way to work and back :eek:

Then on weekends, I'll again be forced to ride through yet *more* twisties to get to a southern coastal resort to visit friends. Aaah. It's going to be a tough life :cool:.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Duke 690

Based on your post, you would love the Duke. Feels like a dirtbike, handles better than a sportbike, definately will not slow down on hills, although it feels a little doggy in top gear at slower speeds. You won't run with the sport bikes in the open, but in the tight twistys you'll be just as good.

My suggestion is to get the touring shield as it takes a lot of wind pressure off the torso and makes it more enjoyable for commuting. Also, go down one tooth on the front sprocket. The bike will no longer feel flat in 6th gear. With the sprocket change it should drop top speed from about 112 to 107 or something like that, but the bike feels much more alive.

Oh, I came off a VFR which is silky smooth, and any vibes that the 690 may make don't bother me at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had the bike for over a week now.

You're certainly right - no problem on hills! Just fly past on steep grades on the highway :D.

I wasn't particularly bothered by wind on the highway, but maybe that's because I've never ridden a bike with a windshield, so am not used to anything else, but it is something I will definitely consider, especially if I end up touring on it as well.

It did take a little time getting used to the gearing (coming off a KLX250S), but now that I'm used to it, I'm not sure that I'd be too worried about changing the sprockets, but time will tell.

Incidentally, I do find the seat quite comfortable, though I know some do not. Maybe that's because I used to ride road bikes (as in 'bicycles') for hundreds of km a week years ago in training - so being on any sort of motorcycle feels like the lap of luxury :p.

There's some vibration from the motor but I haven't been bothered by that.

I do wonder though about the optimum suspension setup. I've left it stock but suspect that the stock setup is designed for someone heavier than me (I'm 150 pounds). Guess I can play with that at some stage - just enjoying and getting used to the bike at the moment, which as it happens seems to be admired where-ever I go :cool:.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah the suspension is pretty stiff. I adjusted to the "comfort" setting they describe in the manual. It didn't feel that much more comfortable, but I felt like it lost it's handling edge, so I went back to the normal setting. I'm probably close to 200 lbs with my gear on so the comfort setting might be a better setting for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah the suspension is pretty stiff. I adjusted to the "comfort" setting they describe in the manual. It didn't feel that much more comfortable, but I felt like it lost it's handling edge, so I went back to the normal setting. I'm probably close to 200 lbs with my gear on so the comfort setting might be a better setting for you.
Definitely at least get the sag etc set for your weight , I got the suspension dampening etc everything dialed in by a pro for like 25 $ , totally worth it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts