KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new thread to share for some of our non orange bike interests. @DW and I have vintage Honda's laying around awaiting restoration and discuss our projects, and decided to share our progress here for all to watch our bikes take shape. I have a 1982 XR 500 I purchased back in late 1980s or early 1990s as a basket case for $150 from a kid in south Jersey that blew it up and took it apart and found engine work was beyond his abilities. I purchased bike in boxes and put it away as a project bike intending to build it as a dedicated ice racer. It would be raced on flat track style circle tracks on frozen lakes during winter months and parked for the season afterwards. The plans changed eventually. A mild cam and moderate compression increase and big bore kit made the monster a killer on the ice and heavy flywheel and twin balance shafts made the bike deadly when raced against the big CR500s and all other big bores. I eventually owned many of the early 78-82 models and had as many as 7 running bikes during my racing heyday. Several were well worn and beat practice bikes but as many as 9 bikes at one point. I'm currently reduced to 3 bikes now and have been playing around for the past 10 years with this one particular 82XR500. I kept it around for no good reason after it was long ago worn out and retired from racing. Motor had a worn out piston pin and rattled loudly and smoked like a diesel but motor still started with almost no compression it was still pretty fast but I was fearful it would lock up at speed and put me on the ground so I pulled it apart for a rebuild and decided to restore the bike close to its past glory. Current plan is to use its frame with a 250 motor from a 79? Twin shock model while the 500 motors are still awaiting assembly. The suspension is my race set up from TT bike with Works Performance rear shock and CR500 forks and triple clamps with Race Tech gold valve kits and springs. Suspension lowered to stock XR travel(10 inches). Will look for a few pictures of bike when I purchased it. Here is how it's starting out now

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Removed the sickly smoker from the frame and started building the 250 motor in 2016..... no need to rush

Attachments

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Guess it's my turn ay?
I too have a 1982 xr500r.
Bought mine late 90's from memory. Mine was running and rideable though. Some dill had painted mine white, red and blue, (made it look like a mid 90's xr)
I did a freshen up on the engine back then, rode it around for a few years while the brother in law was learning to ride.
It become the spare bike then, drag it out when someone hasn't got a ride ect.
Bloody old thing never missed a beat but was starting to get very noisy in the engine. So about 10 years ago I pulled it down and decided to rebuild the whole back to original look. (However my cylinder is on it's max so I am putting a big bore piston in. 540 from memory)
I'm glad @augiedoggie made this thread, as it will push me a bit to finish it.
I painted the frame and assembled a bit back together, got the seat recovered ect. But then it just sat in the corner of the shed for the past 5 years and is still there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I had some pictures of the old Honda when I first got it but was unable to find them. I have a few I found of the 82 before it was reassembled after an overhaul and freshening up circa early 1990s

Attachments

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Blue seats not original is it Augie. Should be black?
I'm going off old guys advice and internet pictures to try and figure out the original look of the 82 500.
This is what I'm picturing....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah yes. You are correct @DW That is an aftermarket seat cover pictured. I'm still looking for pictures of the bike as I purchased it but still searching. It was stock with black seat and 500R on sides. My TT bike uses an aftermarket safety seat(ball saver) and custom seat cover. I had custom upholstery shop fabricate a cool looking blue seat cover with yellow flames for my race bikes. Probably have pictures somewhere.... :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another look at the old monster. Taken in 1992. Bike behind it is an old KDX 200 air cooled. I think it was an 84? It was the last drum brake model. Rode some enduro stuff back in those days for giggles and $hits.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update on the dogs Honda. Because I'm converting my former racer to a trail bike I will be installing the original style headlight. My attempt to bore stock triple clamps was thwarted by the stock diameter would not allow boring as the 43mm fork legs would cause the bolt to be shaved in bore as shown. I will have to use the CR500 triple clamps and fabricate brackets to mount headlight and move fuel tank slightly to prevent interference at full lock turning. Was never a problem with small aluminum XR75 fuel tank but the stock tank is larger

Attachments

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Progress Augie!!!!
I moved a bit of crap out of the way to get to mine. That's about as far as I have got in 2 weeks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any progress is still progress. I told our friend @Rangerman that our Honda projects should have a code name "glacier project" :LOL: because of the speed they are progressing

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
WOW!
This is better than going to the movies! (not that any are worth watching nowadays anyway)
You two are making me want to get out a ride my XRL, in the pouring rain even!
Keep the reports coming in as this makes good medicine for cabin fever.
Nice projects!

Rangerman

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick update on the Honda project. This started without any planning at all. I have zero expectations and am flying blind into this project. I have tentative plans to rebuild my old race bike and use it as a street legal dual sport, but because I don't street ride it will likely be used 99% dirt only. I found a great source for obsolete motorcycle parts and reproduction plastics here in US. Place is pretty cool and has tons of parts for our vintage lovers. Called DC plastics. Small family owned business, great ethics, great value. Ordered full set of plastics for the old #50 to replace the old battle scarred stuff. Very fair pricing @$225 for full set of quality plastic, US shipping included. Available on ebay, but pricing is higher. Best to buy direct and save extra cost and shipping

Attachments

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Get me a set mate, I'll send you the money.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Actually better wait till all the bs is over. Don't know what the dollar is doing day in day out

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Well I have officially finished all my cash jobs and have non booked in (probably due to everyone crapping their pants over the current covid situation)
So today I dug through the shed and found the rim, hub and spokes for the 500's rear wheel. I pulled it apart about 8 years ago as the hub and rim were painted white. So I painted them the correct colour back then and today I decided to lace it back together. She runs pretty true, but unfortunately the spokes are stretched and a fair few are starting to protrude through the spoke nut before I even get close to correct tension. Looks like I'm up for new rim and spokes, ah well. It's the wrong rim anyway as it's an 18" not 17".

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
Interesting report.
You two are making me want to get out in the shop and find something to fix!
I am looking forward to seeing these two projects when they are completed.
Keep up the good work and keep posting your progress.
I'm in!

Rangerman

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
So today I had a deeper search through the shed and found the bottom end, and most of the engine bits.
My jug was at its max for normal pistons, so I ordered in from over there an Al bakers big bore piston kit and had my jug bored out to 92mm about 7 years ago
Big kick in the a-se today, I found the cylinder sleeve has moved up inside the parent bore......farkit.
So I used the the cylinder head to press it back down (by tightening the head stud nuts evenly) hoping it would be very tight and hard to get back home, but it only literally took around 10ft lbs of pressure against my ratchet to do it.
So, what do ya reckon I do? Press the sleeve back out, whack some 640 on it and press it back in maybe??
I can't leave it like that can I? If it spins I'm in the sh-t.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ah. Crap. Hate to hear bad news. Your 92 or 93.5 mm big bores used factory sleeve as I recall. Could have been replaced or simply out of tolerance. Once the sleeve has been bored oversize it loses some crush due to thinner cross sectional strength. Probably not much to worry about on an air cooled motor as you could expect aluminum cylinders faster thermal expansion rate would grab that sleeve tightly before any problems developed. I would sleep better if the sleeve could be removed easily and doped up with 680 loctite. Even if sleeve could be moved out slightly and cemented in place it couldn't hurt either way.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts