KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Dirt Wizard
4,144 Posts
Thanks mate, I was thinking the same, it's a dry sleeve, so it's not like it's going to leak coolant internally. I will press it out a little and slap a bit of 640 on it and press her back in.
I see Al bakers have supplied a straight copper head gasket with it. I have an original resin on tin style head gasket as well, but the id is smaller than the big bore piston, so I guess I have to use the straight copper one. Never been a big fan of straight copper gasket, probably have to slob a bit of hylomar on it, I know the heads dead flat, not sure on the barrel.
And for a bit of useless info, the gudgeon retainer clips JE supplied with there piston are the tightest mongrel ones I have ever put in, many a bad aussie swear words when they flicked across the room twice.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,144 Posts
Got a bit more work done to the donk today. Thought I would've had it finished, but the bastards have put the wrong rocker arm pin orings in the vrs kit. Now have to wait till Tuesday to get (and probably have to order in) the correct orings from the hydraulic shop. I will get viton.
Anyway, a few pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well. The old dog moved the red glacier a tiny bit today. I always hope for more progress because my time allotted for this project is so scarce. I managed to reassemble rear suspension yet again. First attempt found my rear shock developed a leak during storage and required surgery. I had it rebuilt 3 or 4 years ago but my suspension guy was unable to source parts for rebound adjuster and it developed a leak. Got it sorted and reinstalled. Swapped back to stock length swingarm after more thought. Probably use lengthened one for my vintage dirt tracker if I ever get around to building it. I have 2 healthy 500 motors awaiting assembly at some point. Putting 250 motor in this one only to get it run in and sorted. May end up selling motor or complete bike afterwards. Gotta get her running first. Maybe keep it. We'll see. Work stopped for now. Old fellow needs a nap after wrestling this old monster motor back in frame. Have to search for 250 bike motor hardware to fasten her home. Picture shows 500 motor mounting plate shorter than 250 plate due to shorter height of small motor and extended swingarm vs stocker length

Attachments

Reactions: Rangerman and DW

·
Dirt Wizard
4,144 Posts
Unlucky with the rear shock mate, I got mine done up around 10 years ago, it did do a couple rides, so I hope it's going to be ok.
What did you paint your swing arm and triple clamps with? 2-pac, acrylic, enamel or did you get them powder coated?

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just standard enamel from the auto store. Got this other chrome paint by mistake and used it on chain guide and rear suspension and didn't like it. Too shiny like chrome. Got rustoleum silver rattle can enamel for everything else. Probably get a little more done on it tomorrow if time permits. It's a slow moving process but at least its moving now

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Awright now she's come to a screeching halt for the 250 build. The exhaust and carburetor mount for this motor are from older model and will not allow airbox mounting or proper exhaust routing. Stuff was accumulated from many boxes of parts for many years of collecting. This could be the ultimate frankenbike build, but I wont ruin a nice motorcycle simply to make a runner. If I can find a 82 airbox and exhaust and carburetor mounting spigot to allow the older 250 motor in the later frame it can go on. Or simply put my 534 motor back in. 534 motor is nearly ready to assemble anyway, so it's a reason to finish the other 2 big motors at the same time and be finished with all the motor work. I still have a twin shock frame for the 250 project if needed. Have to move along with some other projects for awhile anyways. Will give me time to search for more parts.

Attachments

Reactions: Rangerman

·
Dirt Wizard
4,144 Posts
Ahh bugger. Doesn't that sh-t ya mate.
I have a spare 82 500 airbox?
Anyway, wouldn't hurt to hold you up a bit. I still need to lace a new set of rims and spokes (when they arrive from overseas, might take a while).
I also need to re-paint my frame. Only have to tap it with something metal and it's chipping off right back to the bare metal. I obviously didn't prep it properly.
So no rush mate, we probably still have the same eta.

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
What did you paint your swing arm and triple clamps with? 2-pac, acrylic, enamel or did you get them powder coated?
I thought those swing arms looked brand new!
Clean as a whistle.
The engines are looking good!
I always did like Honda thumper engines, the '82 XL250R that I had was not the same as the RFVC that my '92 XR250L has.
If I remember correctly it was identical to your 250 which makes sense since they are both the same year.
I had to have the valve cover bolt holes fitted with helicoils as they were slightly stripped enough to allow oil seepage.
That was a fun bike even though the handle bars were slightly bent.

augdog's 250 thumper

DW's 500 thumper

DW are you leaving your jug grey or painting it black?
Are either one of you considering making your XR street legal?
That would be nifty especially a 500cc!
Can anyone say supermoto?
Keep the posts/photos coming, these are really interesting project/s.

Rangerman

Reactions: DW

·
Dirt Wizard
4,144 Posts
Hey @Rangerman.
Mate I am going to paint mine as per original, (black but with the outer edge of the head fins smoothed back to the alloy.
I'm waiting on parts that were wrong in my gasket kit to come so I can finish the valve cover. Then I will cut it all back and paint the lot nice and fresh. I won't be registering mine. Not sure about @augiedoggie. Mine is now in theory a 530, so should haul a-se......if I can kick it.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well I started my plan "B" project to use with my 250 and 500 motor. Both engines are pre 1980 XL motors but my frame is a 79 twin shock that I salvaged from my buddies corn fields 35 years ago after he blew it up and discarded it behind his barn. Fuel tank is smashed but frame looks straight. I need a pair of shocks, but have a set of forks from one of my old dirt trackers. Forks are pre front brake usage so bike will use a 19 inch front wheel with no front brake and stock rear drum. I have a gypsy oversize rear drum wheel but I think it's a 19" rear but this bike will probably only be for exhibition racing and not built to killer specs in 250 version, but my 500cc motor is built to 1/2 mile dirt track spec with killer horsepower. It will be running a kick starter and stock balancer shafts and decompressor but would not be expected to be an easy starter with big 1/2 mile cam and 14.7-1 compression and kick starter would be mostly a decoration. She probably needs push start or portable electric starter. Kick starter shafts on those are flimsy and breakage prone. Stripping frame and tank for sandblast and repaint today. Not sure of colors yet. Frame has to be black but still deciding paint scheme. I have my old dirt track side number plates for it but they are white background. I have red paint for tank and was going to keep rear fender and tank same color. No front fender on this one. Not sure if tank and rear fender should be white or red?? Any opinions??

Attachments

·
Dirt Wizard
4,144 Posts
I can't find a picture of my 500 before I pulled it down, but mine had an interesting colour scheme. I had factory red tank but with 90's style xr graphics, white rear guard, white frame, blue seat. White everywhere, white engine covers, white wheels. Almost the same scheme as a 86 xr250.
I'm going factory look as to keep its originality. But if not for the white wheels and engine covers, I did really like the look of the white guards and red tank. Don't know if that helps Augie?

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
Hey augdog,
What tool bag is on back?
Sure do like the dual coil overs, always have.

Found this original '79 XL500S brochure.
Honda red with some accent stripes.
Cool dudes & chick people in the background.
Almost makes me want to transport back to the 80's!

Just for fun, this was my all time favorite Honda XL color combination below.
1986 Honda XL600R.
Red engine, blue seat cover, red, white and blue tank, bash plate, white plastics, blue boots, white frame and to top it all off...gold anodized rims, leading axle forks and swingarm!!!
I actually looked at these way back when new on the showroom floor.
I did not have the financial means to own one at that time but if I had then this one would probably still be with me to this day.
This is the type of bike that is truly one of a kind!

Keep up the good restoration work and ideas!

Rangerman

Reactions: DW

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well I made good progress recently and made some decisions for finished work and goals for my default project. This old twin shock version will be strictly a show toy and exhibition machine. I have enough parts to make a running dirt tracker/ice racer clone. It could be raced in vintage races but would be overmatched versus modern machinery. I cleaned up parts for installation of the 250 motor and have nearly everything for assembly soon. Lots of tiny little bits are missing and the search begins for those little pesky items. Frame and swingarm are sandblasted and painted black. Fuel tank is FUBAR and going in the bin. Using cheap universal tank. Lots of details emerging as work progresses. I fitted engine in frame to ensure project was worthwhile first and had parts to complete it. My wife was sniffing around asking questions as to why I was building a retro race bike and I had to tell her the truth of my intent. She was a bit pissed about me racing anything at my age, but made me swear never to ice race again. She was always terrified of ice racing. I lost some friends years ago and she never came to terms with it. Was an easy promise for me anyways, I dont like the cold anyways

Attachments

Reactions: cors187

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Frame and swingarm are blasted and prepped and painted up and ready for battle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Progress has been slow and painful in the old dogs Honda shop. I underestimated these projects and overestimated my enthusiasm for restoring these old relics. I have encountered numerous obstacles but continue to battle to completion. I probably should have just sold the boxes of parts left over from my racing program years ago. I was always hoping to find a young racer needing mentorship and a bike and donate the bikes and restoration to him but never found the right person. My 82 has been put aside temporarily while I continue to search for a few parts to complete it. The 79 was in rough shape and probably should have been left in the woods where I found it. My buddy gave it to me 35 years ago after it was blown up and discarded. He's long dead and gone but I'm bringing his old junk bike back from the dead. I didn't realize how bad it was wrecked until I saw fuel tank bent and steering stem and pipe were bent. Repairs and replacements are complete as well as frame modifications to make it corner like it's riding on rails
20200629_152416.jpg
20200629_152345.jpg
. The 79 will be restored as an exhibition and vintage racer. It has ice tires and wheels but I'm done ice racing as per wife's request. Pictures taken today with new fuel tank and plastic and new seat foam and seat cover. Starting to resemble a motorcycle after some hard work and struggle

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
Looking good augdog, looking good!

Rangerman

·
Dirt Wizard
4,144 Posts
No rush @augiedoggie. I haven't touched mine in 2 months. Had to move house, pack up all my sh-t. I still haven't painted the donk yet. I did get the frame out of its jammed in the corner of shed position and it now lives in a carpeted man cave.
I re-laced the rear wheel, but realised it really should be a 17" instead of the 18" it's been laced in the past with. Lacing wheels is one of my pet hates and when a mate offered to do it for me and paint the hubs ect for not much coin I said go for it and no rush. So that's where my wheels are at. I also give him the rear off the husky as it's not straight.
Been busy building that Ford v8 we have been talking about behind the scenes. It has to make me more money so I can finish these bike projects.
Problem now, is I have an intruder in the man cave, she thinks it's a teddy bear picnic room, but if you look down the back you should be able to make out the 500.
P.s anyone following our thread. The Dogg is looking for an 81/82 carby spigot (intake manifold) if you know of one, post up.

Attachments

Reactions: augiedoggie

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ha. Teddy bear tea party in the man cave. Gotta love it. Good times my friend. I share a hatred of lacing and trueing spoked wheels. Hate the job and refuse to do it. I dont have patience for that crap. I'm happy to pay for quality wheelsmith. I'll stick with my strong skills......wait... I'll think of something..... what the hell are my strong skills??

·
Dirt Wizard
4,144 Posts
Ha. Teddy bear tea party in the man cave. Gotta love it. Good times my friend. I share a hatred of lacing and trueing spoked wheels. Hate the job and refuse to do it. I dont have patience for that crap. I'm happy to pay for quality wheelsmith. I'll stick with my strong skills......wait... I'll think of something..... what the hell are my strong skills??
Helping people, making the time to do so, very good with that + explaining mechanical things in better English than my strine.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts