KTM Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike is starting to drive me nuts.

Gen3 Super Duke. I kept getting intermittent "low front tire pressure" warnings. The first time I thought it was actually low pressure and put some air in the tire at a gas station. Light went out. Next time it happened I could tell the tire wasn't low so I go into the tire pressure menu at the front tire is showing dashes instead of a pressure, also I get an MTC error. So I shut the bike off and turn it back on and the error goes away. Next time it comes it, now it shows 36PSI but somehow it's low? Pumped the tire up to 40, error goes away lower the pressure back down again.

Today I wash the bike. Started right up but the 5 way buttons do nothing. Everything else works fine I just can't move. I can't imagine a motorcycle being that sensitive to water at hose pressure but who knows with this thing so I decide to disconnect the battery and reset the bike. First time I leave it disconnected for 10 min. Still doesn't work. Next time for 20, same thing. Both times the bike is still in PERF mode when coming back on which seems to me like it's not really resetting.

What is the actual procedure for resetting the bike? I'm getting sick of all of these little odd electronic problems for sure. This is the first KTM that I've ever had that has given me an ounce of grief and I've had many of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased mine yesterday, your post made me nervous. How’s your SDR now? Did dealer service find anything?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't use the dealer for service.

Checked it out today and diagnosed the left side handlebar switch and interestingly there's a published TSB for it. I only found because it was buried in the google search for the part number after I had already ordered a new one. That's now the 2nd TSB that has hit me, had the missing connectivity module. I have contacted KTM North America for reimbursement help on both issues as I have receipts. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I am new member here. Soon or later, I might having electric issue on my SDR. I couldn’t bypass the deal given, made the purchase decision yesterday. I hope my SDR will be okay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This bike is starting to drive me nuts.

Gen3 Super Duke. I kept getting intermittent "low front tire pressure" warnings. The first time I thought it was actually low pressure and put some air in the tire at a gas station. Light went out. Next time it happened I could tell the tire wasn't low so I go into the tire pressure menu at the front tire is showing dashes instead of a pressure, also I get an MTC error. So I shut the bike off and turn it back on and the error goes away. Next time it comes it, now it shows 36PSI but somehow it's low? Pumped the tire up to 40, error goes away lower the pressure back down again.

Today I wash the bike. Started right up but the 5 way buttons do nothing. Everything else works fine I just can't move. I can't imagine a motorcycle being that sensitive to water at hose pressure but who knows with this thing so I decide to disconnect the battery and reset the bike. First time I leave it disconnected for 10 min. Still doesn't work. Next time for 20, same thing. Both times the bike is still in PERF mode when coming back on which seems to me like it's not really resetting.

What is the actual procedure for resetting the bike? I'm getting sick of all of these little odd electronic problems for sure. This is the first KTM that I've ever had that has given me an ounce of grief and I've had many of them.
I don't recall the exact tire pressure setpoint, but I believe anything below 40psi on the front will cause the "Low Tire Pressure" warning to come up. I also seem to recall the dealer has the ability to go in and lower the setpoint.
Also, since the MTC relies on the F and R wheel rotation to determine slip, I think if one of the tires is showing no pressure ( the dashes) I think that will throw the MTC code.

My tires will vary about 4-5 PSI between cold and hot pressures. With my hot pressures being right at 40psi, I get the warning every time I start riding, then after a few miles, the warning goes away. Can't say I've ever seen dashes (no pressure) after I start riding it, nor have I ever gotten an MTC error.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s great background, thank you. It could explain the string of TPMS odd issues which would help but it’s still pretty frustrating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just had a thought.... There is this thing that comes with the bike. Its called an owners manual. It may also help explain the issues. I'd quote it, but like everyone else, I can't be bothered to find it, let alone read it. I'm sure if I did, I'd find features on my bike I didn't know existed. :unsure::oops::ROFLMAO::cool: [\sarcasm]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s even more funny (not really) because mine didn’t come with an owner’s manual. It came with a piece of paper saying they’d be sending me one. I got the bike in early April and they hadn’t printed them yet I guess. Covid and all.

I have the pdf version. It doesn’t explain the tpms the way you’ve described it above.

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
408 Posts
Low pressure warning came on for me once at 32psi (front). I added air; it went away, and has not returned, even as recently as yesterday, when I started the ride at 30psi.

I prefer to run less than the recommended 36psi (front), but the low pressure warning has not returned even once. Makes me wonder if the bike has somehow "relearned' the low pressure threshold due to my continued persistence of riding at 30-32 psi (front).

The bike has not been to a dealership in over 3 years.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I know, this will sound silly, but, check your battery terminals are tight...... and also follow the -ve lead for joints and nip them up tooo.

Maybe it's nothing, but the dash will do weird things if the electricity supply is wobbly......... you should have seen my Aprilia when it suffered an alternator coil winding failure and was running on battery alone...... as it drained down towards zero battery the dash was showing 300kph, then nothing then 280 and the warning lights were all on or not....... all were errors as the real culprit was the charging circuit......... it was quite a sight at the time.... and a new alternator coil fixed them....... but that's not your issue, just an example of possible electrical supply issues.

Failing that, the dealer may have a service bulletin or software update pending.....

(y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealer offered me an 6 yrs extended warranty for $1,799. I didn’t opt it, but I was told I could still add it within the 1 year factory warranty expired. Do you guys think it is worth it? I did not think of it, but after I read some post here, I am kind of worry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm fairly sure you can ask the dealer to turn off the TPMS entirely. If the gremlin originated there, might be worth a try, even just temporarily to see if it sorts the other issues.

·
Registered
2020 SDR Black
64 Posts
There was an earlier thread on Gen3 TPMS. They are set very high (36-38) I think and they also read higher than most gauges do (+3-4psi from previous reports). I haven't heard if it's possible to reprogram that threshold. For road use, it's fine unless you run super sticky tires, for track this is dismal. I just ignore it. Hopefully, with some software update, KTM can put this into software settings that we can adjust front/rear pressure settings and thresholds +- 2-10 psi? Would be nice...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The dealer offered me an 6 yrs extended warranty for $1,799. I didn’t opt it, but I was told I could still add it within the 1 year factory warranty expired. Do you guys think it is worth it? I did not think of it, but after I read some post here, I am kind of worry.
Cheers legend535,

I wouldn't worry too much...... unless yours is giving bad error warnings too.....

Any bike with complex electronics runs the possibility of a sensor failure from time to time, so I'm afraid there's not too many options other than to work with the dealership and source the issue via the diagnostics tool or mechanics experience. See vilkvin's post above..... it may just be that the dealer mech doesn't know where to access the TPMS so it can be adjusted to read accurately or reset the warning message trigger pressure. It can be done on gen 1 & 2 GT's so why not on gen 3 SDR's?

(y)

Reactions: legend535
1 - 14 of 14 Posts