KTM Forums banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
It was tuned of course yes.
They just stopped racing with the KTM, but had won 4 tittles in protwin from 2010 to 2014, all mods are accepted in protwin and all... Twins , so lots of ducati of course!
And they made two 24h of Le Mans without a single problem on their engines too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Spent 30 mins or so last night fitting cams on rear cylinder. Ensuring dots lined up as they should, and all was well.

Tensioners were in, but not "unlocked" and as I rotated the engine to check alignment the cam teeth skipped on the chain, so Ill re do that. Even though the chain felt tensioned fairly tight (even without tensioner tension) it still skipped. But its a 2 min fix to redo it.

the just to fit the fronts afterwards, rotate the assembly and valve checks.

Slow progress but work is sending me all over the god damn place and its only getting busier!

Want manual tensioners, JUST for this reason as I don't want to risk the tensioners NOT doing their job for first startup. Posted another thread about it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ordered manual tensioners. Once here it's a matter of carrying engine from basement to garage.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Out of town working til Sunday ish.
Once home my tensioners should have arrived. Reset can timing pop tensioner on and should be good to fill some oil I hope.
Get a buddy to help carry engine to garage and commence installation

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
TENSIONERS STILL NOT IN! Its BEEN 2 FREAKING WEEKS!!

DAMNIT.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Geeze...which tensioners did you end up with? Where did you order them from?
NONE!!

Emailed KTMTWINS to see whats up after 14 days...they say oh, were still 4-6 weeks away from sending these to you! I yelled REFUND!! The site did not say backordered or not in stock. PISSED OFF! Wasted 2 weeks.

Ordering from DJH, the ones I originally wanted in the first place as soon as he gets back to me. He better do it quick this time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
NONE!!

Emailed KTMTWINS to see whats up after 14 days...they say oh, were still 4-6 weeks away from sending these to you! I yelled REFUND!! The site did not say backordered or not in stock. PISSED OFF! Wasted 2 weeks.

Ordering from DJH, the ones I originally wanted in the first place as soon as he gets back to me. He better do it quick this time.
You're sure having a rough time...Hopefully he gets back to you quick

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Alright....

Engine built and timed, new tensioners put in. Realizing now the rear cylinder will be a pain int he *** to tighten when it comes time to tighten the tensioners. Likley another reason KTM went hydraulic autos. See pic of how they look below (See orange anodized dealy in front cylinder. Coulda sworn I took better pics....guess not)

Engine IN bike, was fitting up the airbox yesterday (major pain to get the rubber grommets and throttle linkages in their spot, its still not in correctly haha). Lots of swearing yet to come. Got the rad in, and my fancy new SAMCO orange silicone hoses, which look pretty good, I get pics.

Rigged up exhaust, and rearsets and shifters. have yet to bleed the clutch fluid, I was mocking it all up to make sure I have all bolting and whatnot. Swingarm on, tire on, most of the connections are made except for the gas tank connections. Which will likely be the final ones before I attempt to turn a key over. Engine was the easy part its this **** that's all hard to remember and ****ed!

Just have to put some inner fenders on that hold some wiring connections, clip them in, finish my throttle stuff / airbox....get gas tank on. Battery in....

Dare I say ready to fire?? Dear god I hope all goes well. Im assuming it wont fire instantly. Ill have missed a ground or something somewhere, have to rework some wiring and that kinda ****. BUT...maybe it will! There is the ground connection coming right off the battery post that I cant remember where it goes. Anyone know? It looks to kinda fit to where a bolt that holds the starter goes, and act as a chassis ground? I THINK.

Between working 12-14 hours a day for 6 weeks, being out of town, single and trying to get laid, fixing my car, cruising in truck.....I MIGHT still hit my May 5-6 startup date for the bike believe it or not.

Pic shows engine in! But that's before accessories and airbox as well.

****TY thing is I had a pair of pliers slip when getting the airbox breather hose hooked up and I scratched my powdercoated frame :( A tiny little spot in which nail polish will work...but I KNOW ITS THERE!

Reactions: Motorcycle2r

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
^^^ Ill let you know. And Ill take pics if any are worth posting. One definitely IS...but I don't think its going anywhere.

Anyways....hooked all up last night, turned key...got immobilizer errors and EFI light right off the bat. Neutral light didn't work. Replugged in kick stand and gear position connections, and they magically start working so the N light works. For some reason the one black key was giving codes, so I tried the other...all gone.

So now Im sitting with power on and no errors. COOL!

Hit starter quick (this took some nerves haha) and it rotates! Hit it again...battery dead. WTF, had this thing on my trickle charger for 2 months! Anyways, plug it in go for a rip in the truck for 1-2 hours to let it charge. Come back to the garage and hit the starter...she STARTS!

Doesn't sound great...then I hear a pop and bang. Shut it down.

Seemingly, must be valve overlap or incorrect timing??? Backfire? (but this I don't understand as valves would have to be open on intake side to do what happened). Seems like something with timing or cams is wrong...but I checked several times before install.

SYMPTOMS:
-Every few seconds (sounds like every 3-4 revolutions) a flame appears from the front cylinder intake on the head! It appears when it makes that pop (you know the WRONG noise) a flame is coming from the intake off the front head, and it popped my lower airbox trumpet/grommet off! I actually seen flames!!

So I removed airbox and valve covers, and to my amazement everything looks fine! The cams are smooth the intake valves ARENT BENT or anything (at least visibly). So now im doing my valve check tonight, and cam orientation (again) tonight just to be sure its correct. And it has to be otherwise markings on cams and valve clearance checks wouldn't be correct...and they all measured up previously. But something seems wrong as if its out of phase or something.

I was SO CLOSE!! But at least all this can be done in the bike now as long as bottom end problems aren't there. Im removing the spark plugs and attempting turning over by hand and rechecking the ENTIRE cam / timing configuration. But I don't see how Im going to make it any different :( Doesn't add too much time as its quick and easy enough to adjust (if needed..but it SHOULDNT) and pop the valve covers, airbox and tank back on and recheck.

Long story short...I think I ****ed up!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I wish you luck.

Now : perhaps a ground problem, saying that because it happened to me more than one time :)
Only 4 grounds removed to take engine in/out. 1 for each side panel, and the 2 that go from battery to starter, starter to frame.

Has to be a timing issue for flames to come out of the intake. My rear cylinder lined up perfect in terms of "markings" and my front was half tooth off no matter what I did for some reason. Valve clearances checked out ok whether the tooth was out above, or below the other one. I suspect this is my issue and Im seriously leaving work right now to go look at my bike haha. no point staying at work Ill be useless til I get my bike running as that's literally ALL I care about right now.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes of course it sounds like a timing problem, but I know that I will check grounds and connectors ( the big gray one first lol ).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Cant give up, no way! I NEED a bike haha.

Reset my front timing by a tooth, as that's all it looked like it was off during my checks yesterday. Hard to tell with coolant hoses being right in my line of visual checking. And I know where I went wrong earlier. Stupid mistake, spun the crank once, not twice on one of my final checks and noted the wrong indications on the cams. Could have been much worse I suppose. Spent 6 hours on it yesterday resetting the front cams, as the engine is in the bike and not friendly in adjusting. the REAR cylinder has lots of room, if youre gonna **** one up **** that one up! See pics...I had to remove 4 engine mounts from the front and pivot the engine low enough to allow clearance for the 5 mm hex head socket.

BUT now the timing should be correct, I hope! The manual is rather vague on which indications you need to line up as theres 2 sets of markings. FR and RE on each cam. The manual doesn't note which markings to align when at TDC of each cylinder. BUT if you match what the pics look like the front cylinder needs to be aligned with markings FR in the middle of the cylinder head @ TDC, and one crank rotation out, the FR should align on the outside edge of the head. Another crank rotation should complete the 4 cycle and you should be back @TDC with the FR markings in the middle. Tough to tell in pic, and this is when it was outside the bike but this may help:

Conversely, on the rear cylinder the markings based on how the pics in the manual look, are RE for all TDC settings (rather than FR on the front). I attribute this to FRONT and REAR ??? I don't know. But its the only way everything aligns when installing like the pics of cams I posted above in a prior post. Im going out on a limb, but it seems to check out with my pre-tear down pics of the cam assemblies.

So, now, its all rigged up...again...however my battery cant crank more than 5-6 seconds without going dead :( So ive been delayed in terms of charging between crank attempts. Im figuring some dealer MAY have a battery that fits somewhere, but its unlikely. but worth trying. Kinda hoping it just cranks, fires, catches and ignites within 5 seconds and stays running long enough to check for leaks everywhere, which in turn should help the battery as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Yes of course it sounds like a timing problem, but I know that I will check grounds and connectors ( the big gray one first lol ).
Checked, and connected. Nothing is UNCONNECTED that I can see.

it all comes down to if its gonna start now. And I cant come up with a reason it shouldn't. Unless Im still out of phase on the cams somehow, but I mimicked the god damn cam installation from the manual.

5 more hours and Im home and Ill find out....if my battery can keep up.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts