KTM Forums banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Checked, and connected. Nothing is UNCONNECTED that I can see.

it all comes down to if its gonna start now. And I cant come up with a reason it shouldn't. Unless Im still out of phase on the cams somehow, but I mimicked the god damn cam installation from the manual.

5 more hours and Im home and Ill find out....if my battery can keep up.
Strange...I agree with the others...sounds like timing...Let us know how it works out. I'm rooting for you! lol

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just saying that because i had the bcg problem, cleaned it, grease in it, and never had a problem. ( it's quite like your bike have a bad ground when there is a problem with it )
Always doing that on my bikes, clean all the connectors and put grease in them.

But here it looks more like timing.

Finger crossed ;-)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
It started!! Found/bought new battery on way home. Yuasa YZT14S.....$200!! From Yamaha...KTM wanted $250!

Starts, idles, revs at least to 4k. Throttle not linked up yet, so was working the linkages by my thumb. Got it to running temp, fan kicked on. So far so good.
No leaks... yet.

Smoked a little from solvents and oils and coolant, etc, etc. As expected.

Felt a reaction to the throttle linkages through my thumb from rear cylinder. Sounded backfire-ey...Still unsure about it. Thinking possibilities. UNder accel it didn't do it, just when on/off increase in throttle pressure. Wondering if fully doing up the upper airbox and SAS system, gas tank breather hoses will have any effect on that "pop' feeling I was feeling. I hope so.

Also wondering about new tensioner. Which way to adjust in/out. Adjusting it now while tank is loose and its availability to adjust later decide that it should be done before carrying on too far. Dont wanna adjust TB linkages with my fingers/hands anymore in fear of explosion so ill hook the cables up. Which will aide the idle by providing just a miniscule amount of pull it seems based on me playing with it. Hopefully the TPS settings and whatnot still apply from calibration. I didn't physically change any linkages, so hope the software portion remains fine.

Still no CEL or errors via the dash.

Few bits to take care of then around the block?? See if it drives/shifts ok. Have news shift star also installed. Gotta bleed hydraulic clutch as well. All the small stuff now.

But all this will happen over the next few days. My heart can maybe start beating again since it at least started. Engine adjustments (besides tensioner adjustment) shouldn't be necessary now??? I hope not I don't wanna do the top end again... or anything again. Hope it revs smooth. Kinda sounds like I remember from 8 months ago.

Yeah starting it is JUST the start. I want it running as well as it was! Ill do the upper airbox up completely up, route the gas tank breathers and the PCV hose from the canister. (Which by the way put tons of smoke into the second TB apparently. I watched as it belches smoke out. Have video, too large to load or something. I dunno)

Im hoping buttoning this up will smooth out the fueling or something. Something still seems off about the way it FEELS on the rear cylinder. Maybe too much air? Not enough vacuum in the airbox since its all open/exposed right now? it idles just fine, but revving it up I feel some back-pressure or something from the rear. Could be secondary butterflies NOT opening and stalling out? But theyre servo actuated so it would require a certain RPM to actuate...so maybe that's not it. Doesn't feel healthy anyways. Then it stalls out sometimes. So im not out of the woods yet. Really wanting to figure it out and not tear the valve covers off again as I don't know how that will help anyways. Hoping its all fuelling and airflow at this point.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
UPDATE*****************

Hooked all the rest of the stuff up as mentioned above......seemed to smooth it right out! Throttle linkages all hooked up and airbox sealed, PCV vent routed back into the TB (thinking I should just route this through a filter out the bike. Seems better for the bike. Gas tank vents are on Just have to squeeze the tank back into its spot.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)

So it starts and shifts from 1, 2 and N just fine. Didn't go higher as it was on the rear stand. have yet to actually ride it to see. Noticed an oil leak from the gear position sensor. So Ill have to redo that. I reused the original O ring as it wasn't leaking initially...guess Ill swap it out.

Was going to ride it on mothers day (10th)....but seeing as my mom died on mothers day (4 years ago mind you)...AND my EX (the one I recently kicked out) crashed her bike and broke her ****ing neck!! I **** you not! Her knee is all buggered as well. Lots of injury actually. I went to visit her in intensive care the other day (part of me feels sympathy for her...the smarter half of me kinda as bad as it sounds doesn't give a ****. She's not paralyzed or anything...so she'll heal....alright, I feel a LITTLE bad about saying that...sorta.) So I decided not to tempt fate and left it in the garage for another day haha. Focusing on the dirtbike for this weekend ! :)

Here we are (ex and I)

Bled the slave clutch the other day, easy enough. But Ill just have to redo it again once I remove it to REDO that damn Gear sensor Oring. The mount has 2 prongs with brass bushings, and both prongs are now cracked! And it only gets torques to 2.2 lbs!! How the **** do the prongs crack at such low torque? Either way, that shouldn't affect sealing.

Anyways...Ill keep you posted!

Reactions: Motorcycle2r

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Alright been awhile since I posted.

bike together, timed correctly. Running and all.

Havent bagged it hard to see if it hold, have no real reason to suspect it wont I suppose.

Have about 100km's on it and it seems to be doing its job. haven't put the side panels on just in case, so its not completely done yet.

All in all it works. hope it keeps working.

Gas tank didn't quite fit , had to drop the subframe to get it all lined up and it all worked out after. hoping it doesn't start leaking like most KTM's again soon!

Reactions: Motorcycle2r

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Shes doing well. Has 25 pins in her right knee and ankle now. The neck seems to be fine and she goes without her neck brace probably too often, but it doesn't see to affect her much.

Shes out and about and driving and all that, walking on crutches for a little while longer (doc says upwards of a year). But other than seeing the crutches you really wouldn't know anything happened. So I suppose that's good.

Her bike is totaled....obviously. Frame completely snapped right at the support of the steering head. Its getting parted out. Engine toast too, as dirt and whatnot had somehow managed to get inside the throttle bodies, so its a goner. Probably a few salvageable parts for someone with a Ducati 696.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
UPDATE:

700km so far....still working. No leaks, No problems.

The factory pro shift star does feel nicer when shifting. Absolutely HATE finding Neutral on the damn thing though, that has gotten harder and more annoying. If youre not in N when rolling to a stop...good luck.

Otherwise bike performing splendidly :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
3200km thus year since rebuild. Time to store it fir winter (sigh...already) And i was just starting to have fun!

Hasn't missed a beat.

BUT....

Since its winter for several months. ..I'm tearing the valve covers off and checking the chain tension to be sure they're not wearing abnormally since i haven't adjusted them since the rebuild.

Also installing JCExhsust, akra map, SAS Delete and perhaps a catch can.

If I'm feeling spendy some flyhammer rearsets ;)

Just got a new supercorsa rear tIre installed (albeit 1000kms ago lol) and ill have a sc1 s corsa installed by ride time come spring.

It'll feel like a brand new bike in may 2016!!!

Reactions: MotoX183

·
Registered
9 Posts
nice thread, i have been in the same boat as you with the timming issues....
one valve drop, change of head, some miles on it and rocker came broke, now one cylinder Works and the other Works but not correctly...
i really like this bike but it is a pain to work with...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Its a love hate thing huh?

I love to ride it, HATE to pay someone to fix it. So I just don't do that.

Hoping it holds together for at least 20000km's.

Its not that bad a bike to wrench on though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
So since its been sitting in my living room for a few months, and riding it is only a couple months away, I may as well update.

Ive since tossed a JCE pipe on (which requires myself to custom bend the front mount as its off a touch :( , and also has no rear fairing bracket/mount like others have mentioned), SAS removal with fancy orange block offs. Ive yet to uncheck the SAS and O2 in TuneEcu or load the 2031 AKRA map. Im waiting til its rideable for that.

Is there a dummy plug connector for the front and rear 02 connections? If not, I was just going to heat shrink them to protect them, since they wont be plugged into anything anymore.

I kept everything together (SAS-wise) if it doesn't work, ill just toss it back to stock with the stock tune. I tested Tune ECU earlier and it linked right up, I downloaded my stock map so I have it on record. Havent tried writing a map or having the bike running with it yet. I did pull the headlight fuse and have a tender on the battery whilst I was playing around. Had a slightly low voltage on my TPS (by like 0.04 mv) or something, im gonna let that fly the way it is.

And that's that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rebuild

I speed-read the post. My engine is out (I'm changing the frame). I took copious photo's during the pull down and made loads of notes but I'm real nervous of getting the wiring and cabling routed correctly. Have you found any diagrams for that?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I speed-read the post. My engine is out (I'm changing the frame). I took copious photo's during the pull down and made loads of notes but I'm real nervous of getting the wiring and cabling routed correctly. Have you found any diagrams for that?
I could check my manual, but I don't recall a wiring diagram. Theres really not much to take into consideration that isn't apparent from the get go (from what I remember anyways). I took pics and just routed things where they seem to bend and fit and not get cooked or snagged.

Just re-read its a frame swap....yeah that makes it harder with all the components and wiring up under the headstock. Id rely on pics and markings with tape and sharpie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really enjoyed your tear down and rebuild. Brave man! I got so p*ssed off with the engine build on my RC8R I bought a complete engine thinking that an upgrade to twin spark was a good plan. Just wish I had got the clock and ECU with it as I am now at the point where I will soon connect up the battery... After lots of thought I figure that I timed up to the wrong cylinder. Spent ages trying to get all that right and in the end just gave up. Could not remember about marking on Cams so your comments about FR and Ah very helpful. Had a dozen goes at getting the marks right for valve timing to no good effect. But I now have a better understanding and after completing this build I will have another go at that engine. Thanks for the insights...

61 - 76 of 76 Posts